Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Best environment for Devkitpro?

Posted by Putzpie 
Best environment for Devkitpro?
April 05, 2010 09:51PM
Hi, I'm feeling like developing some Wii homebrew, but the problem is that this computer(my good one) is out in the living room, while my wii is in my room. Meaning every time I make a change I have to walk back and forth to my room, and as you might guess it's pretty annoying.

However I have an older computer in my room that I might be able to use. The only problem is that it's running Window's 98, which I'm not sure is the best for doing this. If it doesn't matter then that's great, except I don't know if I can get the wireless working on it, because it's off and on for some reason.

What I want to do is install a linux distro(unless Window's 98 works fine) on my old comp that's best suited for Devkitpro and Wii development. Just for refrence the comp in question has 633mhz CPU(Intel Pentium III) and 160mb of RAM, and a couple gigs of free space

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2010 09:53PM by Putzpie.
Re: Best environment for Devkitpro?
April 05, 2010 11:34PM
A long time ago I used to use Win98 for NDS dev. It worked okay, except for the 98 being slow and crashing with a USB mass storage device driver. Only a couple GBs aren't enough for Ubuntu, not sure about other distros. You might want to try a Live CD to see if wireless works any better than 98.
April 06, 2010 04:31AM
If you can back up everything you want to keep on that machine, you could switch it over to Xubuntu. Ubuntu (and especially Kubuntu) are probably too intensive for that machine.
April 07, 2010 02:45AM
Thank you guys for your help, but I actually decided to try a distrobution of linux called "Zenwalk" Linux. It's pretty much a programming suite, and it runs fairly decently on this machine. It's a slackware based disto I do believe.

If I get things running on this, I'll let you guys know.

I backed up all the data that was important to me(not really that much honestly) and decided to say screw it because I'm probably better off just going full out and installing this over Win98. I mean it was the only option, because this isn't a live CD, but you know >_>

I definately think this was a good choice though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2010 02:46AM by Putzpie.
April 07, 2010 03:20AM
That distro looks fantastic.
April 07, 2010 03:49AM
WikiFSX
Definately. After playing around with it, I can safely say it's the best distro I have ever used. I'm currently still in the process of installing devkitpro, though.
April 07, 2010 06:10AM
Putzpie
WikiFSX
Definately. After playing around with it, I can safely say it's the best distro I have ever used. I'm currently still in the process of installing devkitpro, though.

Well, I've heard of Zenwalk, but never tried it as I'm more familiar with Debian and Gentoo based systems than Slackware based. Guess I'm not sleeping tonight =p
April 10, 2010 09:28PM
Sorry, I kinda forgot about this thread >_>

I did manage to get devkitPPC working on this though, just follow the instructions on [wiibrew.org] and you should be 100% good to go.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login