Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

report on wii update to get netflix disc running

Posted by knarrff 
report on wii update to get netflix disc running
April 24, 2010 05:33PM
This post doesn't contain a question, just a report with the hope it might be useful for someone.

Recently I got the Netflix disc for the Wii. I had bootmii installed (as boot2) and the homebrew channel as well. Then I had to make a difficult decision: the netflix application insisted on an update, but I knew that this could mean that I end up with either a bricked Wii in the worst case or without bootmii/homebrew in only a slitely better case. So: homebrew or netflix? I decided for Netflix, and hoped for the best. So I did the (short) update, rebooted the wii only to see that yet again it wanted to update something. Already on this path I accepted this as well. This time the update took quite a bit longer, but succeeded. I finally could launch the Netflix application. But this came with a side-effect as I noticed when the Wii booted: bootmii got overwritten. (It could be that this already was the case for the first update, I didn't pay attention back then.)

However, I think I could consider myself lucky: firstly the homebrew channel was still installed. Relieve. Then I tried to install bootmii into boot2 again - using the sd-card-menu bug. This apparently didn't get fixed with the update and succeeded.

In short: While updating the Wii for the Netflix disc boot2 got overwritten and bootmii erased, but it was possible to intall it again after the update, using the same method as before. This is of course only a report of my experience with this - don't expect yours to be the same. It's your responsibility, not mine.

Last but not least I feel I should thank all the people who apparently put a lot of work into making this work: THANKS!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/24/2010 06:02PM by knarrff.
Re: report on wii update to get netflix disc running
April 24, 2010 10:04PM
no reason to expect otherwise. If your wii was able to install bootmii as boot2 in the first place, they can't EVER prevent you from installing it as boot2
April 24, 2010 10:38PM
They could have patched the bug which allows to install bootmii and the homebrew channel in the first place, and remove the homebrew channel and bootmii at the same time. I could then theoretically still install bootmii because of the bug in boot1, but I still would have to execute own code to do so, wouldn't I? That was the fear I had...
April 25, 2010 12:59AM
knarrff
They could have patched the bug which allows to install bootmii and the homebrew channel in the first place, and remove the homebrew channel and bootmii at the same time.

They did. However, Team Twiizers found another bug, which they used to make the latest Hackmii Installer compatible with 4.2. Team Twiizers also updated the Homebrew Channel so that 4.2 would not delete it.
April 25, 2010 05:28AM
jbc007
They did. However, Team Twiizers found another bug, which they used to make the latest Hackmii Installer compatible with 4.2. Team Twiizers also updated the Homebrew Channel so that 4.2 would not delete it.

Uh, I didn't think the version I used already had that in it, but I checked and you are right. Great. Now I know who saved my day. Many thanks to Team Twiizers! (and to you for pointing that out)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login