Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Problem with Homebrew Channel

Posted by Aura_Vision 
Problem with Homebrew Channel
August 12, 2008 05:02AM
Okay, I just installed The Homebrew Channel last night, I had no problems during installation. However, when I start up the channel, it just takes me to the bubble screen that's used for the main menu and stays there. I've read online that I need to convert my applications to WAD format. If that's true, then how do I do that?
Re: Problem with Homebrew Channel
August 12, 2008 12:56PM
The homebrew channel does not use any wads. What you need is properly setup folders on the SD card, that or my Sendelf application.
August 12, 2008 10:59PM
Do you have any apps on your SanDisk?
August 13, 2008 03:26AM
I have both SNES9X and Nestopia, however, I heard that Nestopia doesn't work with The Homebrew Channel and that it has it's own NES emulator.

So, what do I need to do here. I mean, nothing seems to be wrong. I just need a way to make my apps show up on the main menu, then I think I'll be alright...
August 13, 2008 04:00AM
Out a one folder in your apps folder for each app. Then place the correct .elf or .dol in that folder. Make sure that file is named either boot.elf or boot.dol. NOTE: You can NOT have one of each in the same folder.
August 13, 2008 04:05AM
Nestopia hasnt been ported to the wii has it? so how are you trying to load it???
you need to have a SD layout similar to this

/apps/appname/boot.dol (or .elf)
----------------------/icon.png
----------------------/meta.xml

for each app. some like emulators need other folders as well, find their pages on the wiki for more info. or in you are having trouble just install the homebrew browser and install then wmus from that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2008 04:05AM by Warpedflash.
August 14, 2008 09:03AM
Okay, now I need to know how to install Snes9X using the Homebrew Channel. Since it doesn't have a boot.elf file of it's own, HC doesn't recognize it...
August 14, 2008 04:07PM
Does it have an .elf file? If so, rename it to boot .elf
August 14, 2008 09:19PM
No, it doesn't have an .elf file.

Is there anything specific I need to do to find it?
August 14, 2008 10:30PM
Perhaps you should try downloading a different version of Snes9x. You do have ROM's for it, right?
August 15, 2008 03:12AM
I have Final Fantasy VI and Earthbound.

Which versions do you know are compatible with the Homebrew Channel?
August 15, 2008 05:18AM
Go for LOPST's third party release of snes9x. Thats what I use. May I reccomend Donkey Kong Country for ROM's?
August 15, 2008 05:52AM
Well, I went searching for that and I got this weird Portuguese version of it. It seems to work fine but I would much rather have it in English. Also, it won't load my ROMs, and like I said, I can't read it, so I don't know what the problem is.....

EDIT: My bad, I didn't see the English version of it in the files. I'll go test it now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2008 05:59AM by Aura_Vision.
August 15, 2008 11:09AM
Okay, it's been working fine so far, but now I have a new problem: How do I load Save States? I mean, I saved the game like normal, but I don't know how to load my progress and every time I load the game, all of the files are blank...
August 15, 2008 10:54PM
I have that problem with only some of my ROMS. For Earthbound I save twice and everything's fine. Did you put a folder called saves within your snes9x folder in the root? Example: /snes9x/saves
August 15, 2008 11:01PM
I did not.

I'll go try that now...
August 15, 2008 11:06PM
That's your problem, the ROMS have nowhere to put their saves. About what I said before, I actually only got screwed out of a save once, so now I always make sure to save more than once before turning off the Wii. No problems since.
August 16, 2008 09:16AM
Okay, I did that earlier today and it's been working fine since.

If I have any more problems, I'll be sure to post about it. ;)
August 16, 2008 02:23PM
I'm having trouble getting any games to play. Snes9x finally loads, but I get that colorful test screen whenever I try to play something. Should the roms be in .smc format?

Edit: I just installed the HB browser, and now it's working!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/16/2008 03:11PM by Ibrewii.
August 16, 2008 04:35PM
Congartulations to both of you! Please post if you have any more problems and I'll do my best to help. You're also free to PM me if you want to.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login