Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ever-changing IP address

Posted by dancinninja 
Ever-changing IP address
June 18, 2010 09:53PM
Here is something interesting that recently has driven me to near-madness since it started happening two days ago. It seems that my Wii is changing its IP address every time I load something. I think the culprit may be the homebrew channel (I love ya' babe, you know I do!).

Here's an example: I go into the HBC, and I see that I am connected to the net. I load up a nice game of "Bash The Castle" from the HBC, have some fun, and return to the menu. This is where stuff gets weird. If I look at my IP address (by pressing the Home button), the last three digits have changed, like so:

Before loading App: ***.***.0.123
After loading App: ***.***.0.234

This happens every time that the HBC initializes a connection to the Internet, the IP changes. Normally, I couldn't care, but the problem is: I'm trying to do testing via Wiiload. I have an environment variable on my PC that specfies the IP of my Wii. Once the Wii changes its IP, guess what I have to do? Every time.

What could cause this? More importantly, however, is what can make it stop?

HBC version 1.0.6
IOS61 v21.29
Re: Ever-changing IP address
June 19, 2010 12:20AM
Is there an option in the system menu to set a static IP? (Just a guess as I've not looked)
June 19, 2010 12:58AM
Nope, I checked. Not on the Wii, anyway. I can't find anything in the HBC either, but then again, I'm still not sure what that second button on the bottom right means (the right-most is to indicate an Internet connection, but what about the left?) so I may just be missing something.

This is so strange! I haven't changed anything (to the best of my knowledge) what could make it change IPs?
June 19, 2010 01:11AM
Does IP not change with every reconnection? I thought it was supposed to do that? (Not completely sure, I may have misread/misremembered that)
June 19, 2010 01:31AM
I guess that was a secondary question of mine: is it supposed to do that? If so, then how was I able to successfully use Wiiload all of those times before? Right now, I have to change the environment variable every single time in order for it to work.

SifJar, are you able to use Wiiload with the changing IPs?
June 19, 2010 08:24AM
Technically using dhcp your ip can change at any time but it only ever usually changes if another new device steels your IP. I've had the same ip (local) on my laptop, wii and computer for 5 years. I guess it depends on how your router works.

Like I said one my Wii changed it's ip, then the next day it changed back. It was about the time I added a new laptop to the network, it could have been confused.

Another option would be to set all your other devices to static IP's if possible. Maybe a laptop or another device is taking the Wii's IP when it's not on.

Not sure what router you've got but you may be able to add a rule for the WIi's MAC address to always assign it the same IP. Also try powering off the router for a while, maybe there's a glitch with it.

PS. Sure you know this but another option is to change your Environment var every time .. see [www.computerhope.com] the variable is WIILOAD. (yes very painful I know)
June 19, 2010 12:08PM
You've given me some things to ponder. I may need to find out what is "stealing" my Wii's IP. Also, your point about routers, does it apply to the (sigh) Nintendo USB Wifi Connector? I know, I'm like the only developer using one of those (and I can't (nor won't) just steal wifi from my neighbors).

I wonder, if it is the USB connector that is causing the trouble? This begs the question: if I haven't upgraded the software (I haven't for quite some time), how is it doing this? I am leaning heavily towards the possibility of ghosts. In any case, I'm going to unplug it for awhile and see if that affects anything. Thank you so much for the help! I appreciate it immensely!
June 19, 2010 01:37PM
dancinninja
I guess that was a secondary question of mine: is it supposed to do that? If so, then how was I able to successfully use Wiiload all of those times before? Right now, I have to change the environment variable every single time in order for it to work.

SifJar, are you able to use Wiiload with the changing IPs?

never used wiiload, as i'm not a dev and so i dont need to test stuff regularly, so i just use my sd card to load homebrew.
June 19, 2010 07:21PM
You can indeed set a static IP in the system menu settings.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login