Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

send in wii for repair - pass checks for homebrew?

Posted by sak904 
send in wii for repair - pass checks for homebrew?
June 22, 2010 08:44AM
Ok, im a bit parnoid my wii will break down, and nintendo wont repair it because i ran hbc on it. is there any way at all to do this? i have a good amount of wiiware, and i do not want to buy a new wii and lose it if this happens.

thanks
Re: send in wii for repair - pass checks for homebrew?
June 22, 2010 12:03PM
installing HBC technically voids your warranty, and so Ninty usually don't repair Wiis with HBC. There is no way around that. But if you're careful, your Wii should hopefully not break.
June 23, 2010 06:25AM
If you send your wii to nintendo, they will scan everything on your wii for Homebrew. So I would reccomend keeping it and just hope it doesn't get bricked.
June 23, 2010 06:40AM
The installation/exploits are written to the Wii's NAND. Also, if you run a game through GeckoOS in the Homebrew Channel, the playlogs (which can not be deleted except by a Wii format) will say "Homebrew Channel". Unless someone can make something that will mask everything, your Wii will never see Nintendo from the very second you were asked to load boot.dol/elf and said "Yes".
June 23, 2010 06:52AM
Running Comex's NAND formatter and then performing a system update would remove all traces of homebrew.
June 23, 2010 08:06AM
jbc007
Running Comex's NAND formatter and then performing a system update would remove all traces of homebrew.

would that make me lose all my wiiware, though?
June 23, 2010 08:19AM
sak904
jbc007

yes
June 24, 2010 06:39AM
sak904
jbc007

Isn't the Wii on an account system like the iTouches, in which he could re-register the wii to the account? Or is it like DSi's in which the account is linked to the serial number/not affected by formatting?
June 24, 2010 06:44AM
The ability to re-download titles comes from the ticket that gets installed on the Wii. If you format the Wii (with Comex's tool) everything will be deleted and you will lose your tickets.
June 24, 2010 07:07PM
Just to point out, quite a few people have sent in wiis with DVDx installed to replace the laser for brawl and ninty didnt seem to mind, although when they got it back HBC was removed and a new dvd drive which doesnt/didnt work with DVDx was installed
July 11, 2010 01:15AM
move hbc to the last page of the wii menu
July 11, 2010 10:09PM
When people advise against using Comex's Nand Formatter if you don't have Bootmii/boot2, it's because of the risk or because it won't work in Bootmii/IOS? Shouldn't all MINI applications be able to run through Bootmii, so Bootmii/IOS would work as well?
July 11, 2010 10:57PM
Aobx
When people advise against using Comex's Nand Formatter if you don't have Bootmii/boot2, it's because of the risk or because it won't work in Bootmii/IOS? Shouldn't all MINI applications be able to run through Bootmii, so Bootmii/IOS would work as well?

It works as well, however, it's dangerous since your Wii could brick completely if there is a power outage or the format fails during the process, which wouldn't be that much of a problem with BootMii/boot2.
July 15, 2010 05:53AM
It is incredibly spooky that shop channel purchases are tied to a download ticket rather than a Wii's serial number. Would a customer have any recourse to take if for whatever reason the ticket data was lost? Are there no other records of purchases made via shop channel or the rock band store besides the download tickets?
July 15, 2010 06:09AM
Well there's no reason why the tickets should be lost (unless you're messing with homebrew).
July 15, 2010 12:58PM
It just irks me that your purchases aren't tied to a profile like Steam or even Xbox Live. The ticket system seems like it takes some of the power away from the consumer in the long term.
July 15, 2010 04:51PM
optimus357
It is incredibly spooky that shop channel purchases are tied to a download ticket rather than a Wii's serial number. Would a customer have any recourse to take if for whatever reason the ticket data was lost? Are there no other records of purchases made via shop channel or the rock band store besides the download tickets?

The purchases are tied to the console. A record of the purchases is stored locally on your wii in the form of a ticket, like a receipt. If that ticket/receipt is lost, you can get a new one by attempting to purchase the same content again - the shop will recognize that your console already owns it and you will not be charged.
July 17, 2010 04:47AM
I'd like to know what Nintendo is going to do when Wii2 comes out and everyone wants to transfer their WiiWare to the new console.
July 17, 2010 08:56AM
Yeah that is my burning question too. Let's hope they do the right thing.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login