Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wii Update 4.3

Posted by Arikado 
Re: Wii Update 4.3
June 22, 2010 03:48PM
SifJar
Yeah go ahead, it should work. Make sure you use v0.22, rather than v0.23, which has the Shop Channel version hardcoded as a "fix" for a problem I'm not sure ever truly existed. (I added v0.23, because people complained 0.22 didn't work, but when I released 0.23 many claimed 0.22 worked after all). You may need to update IOS61, but I'm pretty sure you won't, provided you have it installed.

EDIT: If it doesn't work, try dop-SHOP, here: [wiibrew.org]
However, you will need a trucha bugged IOS for dop-SHOP (no reason why though...), whereas you don't for WiiSCU.

All right. I'll make a back up with BootMii and go from there.
June 22, 2010 04:04PM
Not long ago SifJar was telling me Trucha Bug Restorer uses a so simple exploit, that Nintendo could do half-dozen things to prevent it. Too bad they finally realized it. Anyway, Ninty isn't known for the best protection on the block, so it wouldn't be surprising if they slipped somewhere.

According to Wiibrew, one of the fixes is "NANDFS privilege escalation fixed ". What does it mean?
June 22, 2010 04:20PM
Aobx
Not long ago SifJar was telling me Trucha Bug Restorer uses a so simple exploit, that Nintendo could do half-dozen things to prevent it. Too bad they finally realized it. Anyway, Ninty isn't known for the best protection on the block, so it wouldn't be surprising if they slipped somewhere.

According to Wiibrew, one of the fixes is "NANDFS privilege escalation fixed ". What does it mean?

It has to do with NAND read/write access. If I remember correctly, the Trucha bug allowed for apps to "trick" the Wii into giving it that access. Apparently, Nintendo apparently fixed something in the way that it assigns those privileges.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2010 04:26PM by Sonicdude41.
June 22, 2010 04:24PM
Aobx

I'm guessing there was someway to make the NAND FS read/write privilege higher than it should be using an IOS exploit presumably, and that has now been fixed.
June 22, 2010 11:07PM
A famous hacker (you know who) has already released a safe updater for system menu 4.3. Maybe it can help people who can't wait until more solutions show up.
June 22, 2010 11:17PM
Wankynono's updaters are fail. No good can come of using one.
June 23, 2010 12:02AM
Exactly. There is no need to update, so there is no need for a fail "safe updater".
June 23, 2010 12:49AM
Interesting, why that? Not only for the "safe updater" but for all the things he does. People around here often mock him. Is he not a good dev or something like that?
June 23, 2010 01:13AM
The only use I could see for a 4.3 safe updater would be to make it so that official game discs don't try to update your Wii for you.
June 23, 2010 01:25AM
Aobx
Interesting, why that? Not only for the "safe updater" but for all the things he does. People around here often mock him. Is he not a good dev or something like that?

Nearly all of his applications are either absolute fail, such as the "safe updaters", or primarily used for piracy, such as cIOS.
June 23, 2010 02:05AM
Aobx
A famous hacker (you know who) has already released a safe updater for system menu 4.3. Maybe it can help people who can't wait until more solutions show up.
No, it's not safe. It doesn't patch the system menu so you will lose your precious hackmii titles. Not to mention the code which it uses to update is questionable in it's own right (old exploits, so it wont work for probably half the people using it -- or worse, brick them)
June 23, 2010 02:57AM
If Team Twiizers can't find a work-around by Sunday, I'm gonna just uninstall HBC. I only use it for emulators, anyway.
June 23, 2010 03:15AM
THANK YOU!!!!!!
June 23, 2010 04:05AM
Well I hate the fact that nintendo keeps trying to kill homebrew. Well i could'int update even if i pressed the update button, do to having the hack.ini file in my wii ahaha.
June 23, 2010 07:18AM
Ahh what fun. I *just* received a brand new Wii tonight (my first one, I got a motion plus system for $129).
Plugged it in and followed the hackmii instructions (I grabbed everything I needed yesterday).
I finally ended up here after some grief. It's kind of funny, and sad the shipping date was delayed by one day.

Anyways, I had bought this thing for homebrew use as well as for some gaming...as media player, maybe dvd player and absolutely to rip my gamecube disks to a hard drive.

Is it worth it for me to look into how to go back to 4.2 ?
June 23, 2010 07:27AM
Ripping games is not supported here. Anyway, downgrading is in general a bad idea, and downgrading from 4.3 is not currently possible. Workarounds will probably be released soon anyway.

Since your wii is new, it will not be never able to play DVDs.
June 23, 2010 07:29AM
Also, Gamecube games can't be played from a hard drive [yet].
June 23, 2010 07:40AM
Well, there is a hardware device that can run Gamecube games from a hard drive. Though such things certainly are not supported here.
June 23, 2010 08:11AM
Okay.. so I have a problem and I am wondering what if anything I can do about it.

The bf updated the Wii last night and I have lost the Homebrew channel.. is there a way to A) undo the update to get the channel back? or B) something I can do to re-install the homebrew channel?

Please let me know.. I am stressing out over this and really mad at the bf.. :(
June 23, 2010 08:27AM
Sorry, Shyllow, but at the moment, there is no way to work homebrew on 4.3.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login