Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wii Update 4.3

Posted by Arikado 
Re: Wii Update 4.3
July 03, 2010 01:08AM
@dacotaco : yes on top... have you ever heard osi model? Make an analogy from there... priiloader is an application whereas ios provides the infrastructure. ios abstracts the underlying hardware from you, you don't care about what make the network interface is, you don't deal with the internal specifics of the dvd drive, you don't mess with the low level access to the nand and so on...

let's illustrate it in graphic,

--- priiloader (on ppc)---
V V V V V V V V V V V
----ios (on arm) ---------

In the computing world If you are using/making use of "something" you are literally said to be doing your stuff on top of that "something".

About "it was working on something, will it work on another version of that something". My answer is, one can never be sure without actually testing. And that's one of the reasons Nintendo responding so late to homebrew even though the fixes they make are rather limited. Because changing the infrastructure that every other app/game depends on
needs a lot of testing.

Say you are using some function in ios and passing 64 bytes as input parameter due to bad documentation in wiki.. And say the underlying implementation actually uses 32 bytes but it's flawed too and not throwing error on 64 bytes input... IOS developer sees his mistake and decides to fix it, he assumes that everyone already passes 32 bytes there, he might check the wrong usage and throw an error there. So after that fix your code doesn't function as you expect. Same thing could happen in reverse, IOS developer could introduce a bug which doesn't effect any of the official titles but your code...That's just parameter stuff, there are of course other aspects into it such as order of code execution, timing and so on...

So in principal, if you are depending on something and that something changes out of your control, you can't just say it will always work... It's the same with people too...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2010 01:09AM by I.R.on.
July 03, 2010 02:05AM
dacotaco
SolidMario7
@dacotaco: I've heard it works, but what i'm thinking is will priiloader put itself on IOS80? Or is it still on IOS70 and works? It makes a differents it'll be nice to know. :)
i think ppl fail to understand that , unlike preloader , priiloader does not need any patches in the system menu ios and therefor just works on almost all ios versions to date...

and priiloader/preloader DOES NOT PLACE ITSELF IN A IOS DAMNIT

Whoa, whoa man, priiloader says IOS 70 (60,52,ect.) so what I mean what IOS it was on/useing. I love your app,thats why i will never update without it (yes i can't have bootmii at boot2). As for the fact that priiloader can change what IOS it is on is amazing. See? I learn something new every day, Ahaha. But thanks for replaying anyways.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 07/03/2010 02:31AM by SolidMario7.
July 03, 2010 09:18AM
SolidMario7
dacotaco
SolidMario7
@dacotaco: I've heard it works, but what i'm thinking is will priiloader put itself on IOS80? Or is it still on IOS70 and works? It makes a differents it'll be nice to know. :)
i think ppl fail to understand that , unlike preloader , priiloader does not need any patches in the system menu ios and therefor just works on almost all ios versions to date...

and priiloader/preloader DOES NOT PLACE ITSELF IN A IOS DAMNIT

Whoa, whoa man, priiloader says IOS 70 (60,52,ect.) so what I mean what IOS it was on/useing. I love your app,thats why i will never update without it (yes i can't have bootmii at boot2). As for the fact that priiloader can change what IOS it is on is amazing. See? I learn something new every day, Ahaha. But thanks for replaying anyways.

On the Priiloader main screen at the bottom left it states as you say, for 4.1 IOS60, (I have the setting use system IOS)
When I tested 4.3 it did show IOS80.
July 03, 2010 05:35PM
Will Team Twiizers be able to release the new version of HBC by around the 15th or the end of this month?
July 03, 2010 08:38PM
SonicChrono
Will Team Twiizers be able to release the new version of HBC by around the 15th or the end of this month?

As soon as they release it, the WiiBrew community would be the first to know. Have patience; there's no reason to update to 4.3. If you're on 4.2, all you need is WiiSCU and you're good. If you're on 4.3, use Smash Stack or Indiana Pwns.
July 04, 2010 04:46AM
So, I was wondering if I updated if it would brick my wii or not. I'm fine with losing homebrew. I just to be able to use my wii to play games and use the shop channel. If this has already been answered, I'm sorry but there were 7 pages of posts so i couldn't read all of them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2010 04:47AM by fun501.
July 04, 2010 04:57AM
fun501
So, I was wondering if I updated if it would brick my wii or not. I'm fine with losing homebrew. I just to be able to use my wii to play games and use the shop channel. If this has already been answered, I'm sorry but there were 7 pages of posts so i couldn't read all of them.

As it is now, 2 things in your post has been answered:

1. Nintendo can NOT release an update with code to brick Wiis to penalize homebrewers. It is against the law, and they will be forced (by instantaneous termination of business or forced discontinuing the hardware in question) to repair/replace all affected Wiis, even the ones modded (unless the mod is the cause of the brick), and repeal the update. The only way an update can brick a Wii is if the Wii loses power in any way during the update process.

2. WiiSCU will update the Wii Shop Channel to be used with 4.2 and lower (v19 of the Wii Shop Channel is needed).

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/04/2010 05:03AM by Mestizo.
July 04, 2010 06:17AM
Thanks. So, how do I figure out the version of my Wii shop channel?
July 04, 2010 06:35AM
fun501
Thanks. So, how do I figure out the version of my Wii shop channel?
Well if you try to run it and it says you need to update, run WiiSCU to update only the shop channel.
July 04, 2010 07:43PM
Thanks.
July 04, 2010 08:16PM
Alright, so what I understand is.. To get HBC on version 4.3U of the Wii, (using the Smash Stack exploit), I would need Brawl, an SD card (not SDHC), and the new Hackmii installer when it comes out.. Anything I'm missing? I'm having a difficult time understanding this, sorry :s.
July 04, 2010 08:17PM
Wackykid5000
Alright, so what I understand is.. To get HBC on version 4.3U of the Wii, (using the Smash Stack exploit), I would need Brawl, an SD card (not SDHC), and the new Hackmii installer when it comes out.. Anything I'm missing? I'm having a difficult time understanding this, sorry :s.

No, that's pretty much it.
July 04, 2010 08:25PM
Alright cool. Now I play the waiting game T^T
July 04, 2010 09:32PM
Thanks for all the info, guys! I've actually learned a lot as a result of my carelessness this time. I wasn't aware of all these additional tools (WiiSCU, Priiloader, etc.)

Good stuff. :)
July 05, 2010 01:16AM
WiiJohn
On the Priiloader main screen at the bottom left it states as you say, for 4.1 IOS60, (I have the setting use system IOS) When I tested 4.3 it did show IOS80.

Thanks, you have gave me some good info yet again WiiJohn.

Oh, and guys with 4.3 wii's lets all just wait for the new hackmii installer. Team Twiizers are doing this free remember? So let all just be happy for that. =)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/05/2010 01:19AM by SolidMario7.
July 05, 2010 05:10PM
Alright I must be an idiot. I have loaded Loadmii from Smash Stack and it works. I get the screen and it asks me where i want to load from. The SD card doesn't work though. It says there isn't one. Even though Loadmii is running off of it. So I through the apps I wanted to use (Snesx9x) on a USB and through it in the back. Loadmii recognized it was there but i couldn't load the boot.dol file. What am I doing wrong?
July 06, 2010 11:40AM
Refirmating might help. At the least it can't hurt. What type of sd is it? And have you tried using it with other apps the utilize the sd card?
July 07, 2010 03:22PM
i dont want to be impatient, but can we have a timeframe in which we can expect homebrew to be up and running on 4.3?
July 07, 2010 04:32PM
Dragon
i dont want to be impatient, but can we have a timeframe in which we can expect homebrew to be up and running on 4.3?
I would say, 2 months. But I might have been following the OpenPandora to much.
July 07, 2010 04:46PM
Dragon

If you want to install homebrew on 4.3 right now, do this. It actually isn't dangerous, and it really does work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2010 04:47PM by jbc007.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login