Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wii Update 4.3

Posted by Arikado 
Re: Wii Update 4.3
July 23, 2010 07:09AM
But aren't some Wiis already shipped with an higher boot2 version than v2? In that case, wouldn't a downgrade in boot2 be necessary? That's why I thought an old boot1 was needed.
July 23, 2010 12:36PM
No, it doesn't require boot2v2 to be installed on the Wii, it just uses a patched version of it on the SD card to work.

And it now works on all Wii's, regardless of boot1 version.

And it wasn't made for recovering bricks, it was made before TBR for installing cIOS on a "virgin" Wii.

Finally, it IS hard to setup legally, as you have to dump boot2v2 from a game, and I don't know that many games have it.
July 23, 2010 05:37PM
Maybe I'll try to learn about that later. It's about compiling, and I'm no good at that.

By the way, I haven't seen any info about error 003 in firmware 4.3. Wiibrew says a disc with 4.3K update could solve error 003 through recovery menu (savemiifrii?). So I suppose the encryption issue that triggered the error had only to do with IOS70, not IOS80? If I update a 4.1 region modded korean Wii to system menu 4.3, would it still result in error 003?
July 23, 2010 09:31PM
If you upgraded to a non K System Menu then yes. 4.3K would fix the issue, because its only when the Wii is on a DIFFERENT region of System Menu, but is a Korean Wii that Error 003 is triggered. A Korean Wii on a K System Menu will never have issues.

If you want to have a Korean Wii on a non-Korean System Menu past 4.1 (which is quite pointless as none of them add features), the only way to do it is patch IOS60 to install to the new System Menu IOS slot (IOS70 for 4.2 and IOS80 for 4.3), and THEN install the new System Menu.

Installing a non Korean System Menu will cause Error 003 on any System Menu above 4.1.
July 23, 2010 10:29PM
Thanks, SifJar. It was pretty dumb of me not figuring that out. I don't know why people outside Korea still buy korean Wiis. Everyday it seems more pointless to me.
July 23, 2010 10:54PM
Probably cheaper. And I believe that sometimes on sites like eBay sellers buy Korean Wiis cheaply, change the region to USA/PAL and sell it as those regions, and the buyer is none the wiser.
July 24, 2010 01:33AM
Ahhhh I was thinking about the old version of the that boot2. Yeah SifJar is right. But it can be used to be a downgrading tool. But their no need for it now that their are saver methods.
July 25, 2010 12:50AM
@SifJar : Any real evidence as to 003 brick fix with 4.3K Korean game? 4.2 introduced better anti-region free measures. So updating a PAL/NTSC machine using a game with 4.3K update through savemii should not be possible. Unless they removed the check that triggers 003 Error.. And in such a case user can simply update in recovery mode with a game that contains either 4.3E or 4.3P game (speaking just for PAL and NTSC btw.)
July 25, 2010 01:14PM
I don't know, I did not personally suggest that this would definitely fix the issue, I was merely justifying the information on the Wiki someone else mentioned. As there are not yet any games with 4.3K on them, it is not possible I think to know if it would work or not, but before, you could always update from a disc of a different region to the Wii, and the region locking only kicked in when you actually tried to run the game, so I don't see how this would be any different now, despite the new checks. AFAIK, the new checks simply check the last character of the title ID, and as previous region checks where done on attempting to launch a game, rather than updating from it, I assume these are the same. Of course, this is purely guesses and speculation, and we won't know for sure until a game with 4.3K surfaces.
July 25, 2010 03:29PM
@SifJar : Well I don't think region protection only kicks in when you try to run the game, it should be the same for the update procedure too...

Before 4.2 you would be semi-bricked if you updated using a different region game's update* because chips were able to fool the menu that the disc is in the wii's region... actually it isn't... And you were able to recover using savemii because semi-brick doesn't change the actual region configuration of the wii (sysconf values)

But now with 4.2 and onwards chips are not able to fool System Menu with an out of region disc. This also means no more semi-bricking through updates with wrong game region...(of course if you have ****crap you can still accomplish the same behaviour)

ps: Btw I'm not 100% sure about the region protection in updates using recovery menu... not tested / not heard about it / not examined the code that makes the checks...

* : revision number of the menu in update partition should be higher than currently installed menu such as
386 (3.4E) > 385 (3.4U) or 418 (4.0E) > 386 (3.4E) etc.
July 25, 2010 08:10PM
putting homebrew back on wii 4.3 is the easiest thing ever with indiana pwns and [crap]. if you find it difficult drop me a msg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2010 08:57PM by SifJar.
July 25, 2010 08:12PM
yes thats right virgin 4.3 or prior homebrew but accidently got new official update. i fixed both
July 25, 2010 08:53PM
I.R.on
@SifJar : Well I don't think region protection only kicks in when you try to run the game, it should be the same for the update procedure too...

Before 4.2 you would be semi-bricked if you updated using a different region game's update* because chips were able to fool the menu that the disc is in the wii's region... actually it isn't... And you were able to recover using savemii because semi-brick doesn't change the actual region configuration of the wii (sysconf values)

But now with 4.2 and onwards chips are not able to fool System Menu with an out of region disc. This also means no more semi-bricking through updates with wrong game region...(of course if you have ****crap you can still accomplish the same behaviour)

ps: Btw I'm not 100% sure about the region protection in updates using recovery menu... not tested / not heard about it / not examined the code that makes the checks...

* : revision number of the menu in update partition should be higher than currently installed menu such as
386 (3.4E) > 385 (3.4U) or 418 (4.0E) > 386 (3.4E) etc.

Actually, from my reading of HackMii and WiiBrew wiki and other places, you don't need a chip to semi-brick with an out of region game. IIRC I read something on HackMii along the lines of you can't play out of region games, but you can update from them. It was talking about semi-bricks I think, and was saying how it wouldn't be much of an issue if you couldn't install an out of region update without modifying your Wii, but you could. I'll try and find it if I can.

And chriskill: don't mention that crap again, it is not supported here. kthnx.
July 25, 2010 09:03PM
SifJar
Actually, from my reading of HackMii and WiiBrew wiki and other places, you don't need a chip to semi-brick with an out of region game. IIRC I read something on HackMii along the lines of you can't play out of region games, but you can update from them. It was talking about semi-bricks I think, and was saying how it wouldn't be much of an issue if you couldn't install an out of region update without modifying your Wii, but you could. I'll try and find it if I can.

And chriskill: don't mention that crap again, it is not supported here. kthnx.

Well either wrong information there or wrong understanding... You can't update through a different region game on an unmodified wii... You can, say if you didn't apply disc update blocking hack but applied region free hack in pr(e/ii)loader... Or through other specific means but all falls into terms of a modded wii, either hardware or software.

Possibly you are mixing semi-bricking with fixing a semi-brick... When fixing a semi-brick you can use an original game but you can't semi-brick a non modded wii...

There is one just possibility for non modded wiis, it's the case where update is interrupted and you somehow ended up with the executable of the system menu but with no other resource files or with missing resource files... With that case yes you can semi-brick a wii on a non modded wii. But that's not a common case...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/25/2010 09:03PM by I.R.on.
July 25, 2010 11:08PM
I.R.on
There is one just possibility for non modded wiis, it's the case where update is interrupted and you somehow ended up with the executable of the system menu but with no other resource files or with missing resource files... With that case yes you can semi-brick a wii on a non modded wii. But that's not a common case...

By this interruption, you could also get a full brick, couldn't you? If the system menu IOS was missing or corrupted, or if the very system menu executable wasn't completely installed. Or am I saying something wrong?
July 25, 2010 11:08PM
OK, I must have misunderstood. Sorry. Which means it may not be possible to fix an Error 003 with a disc with 4.3K.
July 26, 2010 12:21AM
Aobx
I.R.on

By this interruption, you could also get a full brick, couldn't you? If the system menu IOS was missing or corrupted, or if the very system menu executable wasn't completely installed. Or am I saying something wrong?

To prevent such a full brick a system menu update installs menu ios before the menu... So, no you won't be fully bricked that way... I'm not 100% sure of system menu being installed partially using official update theory by the way .. Well anyway that's the only case you can get a semi-brick on a non-modded wii and you can recover from it using savemii and a game disc with higher revision of system menu in the update partition.
July 26, 2010 12:34AM
Thanks for making that clear. But I've gotten pretty confused about that talk of "savemii and region modded wiis". One case of full brick is having the system menu region different from your area setting in settings.txt. If using Savemii to correct that, the disc would boot based on the system menu region or the area setting in settings.txt? Is there even the possibility for a correction of both system menu region and area setting through Savemii?
July 26, 2010 03:06AM
So which one would be better to use to get HBC when the new hackmii installer comes out

Indiana Pwns
or
Smash Stack?
July 26, 2010 04:18AM
Mickster589
So which one would be better to use to get HBC when the new hackmii installer comes out

Indiana Pwns
or
Smash Stack?

Both are equally good. Use the one which is easier for you (i.e. one you already have, or can rent or borrow from a friend). The only difference that matters is that Smash Stack works only for american-canadian consoles (region code U), while Indiana Pwns works also with european consoles (region code E).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login