Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How do I know if I have / how can I get rid of cIOSs?

Posted by BeatBionic 
How do I know if I have / how can I get rid of cIOSs?
August 16, 2010 09:09PM
I'm pretty new to the Homebrew scene, and I apologize if my first post here is breaking the new rules, but I was hoping someone here could guide me to some definitive answers about this cIOS stuff that has become taboo.

Given the decision to stop supporting cIOSs, I want to make sure that I'm not using any and if for some reason I am, remove them for plain vanilla IOSs. Can someone here guide me (and perhaps others) to determining whether or not I have any installed / how to get rid of them?

I don't think I installed any, but I'm new so I really don't know if I did or not. Any help is much appreciated.

UNRELATED: Thanks for all the work you do with the wiki and everything! You guys have a wealth of good information here.
Re: How do I know if I have / how can I get rid of cIOSs?
August 17, 2010 12:35AM
Run the Hackmii Installer and then look at the log file it creates on your SD card. The log will list all IOSes installed on your wii. If an IOS is patched, it will have an asterisk (*) after it. Otherwise, there will be a period (.). For IOS patched IOS versions 80 and lower, use NUS Downloader to download the same revision of the IOS you already have and install it with a WAD installer (the IOS revision you install doesn't really matter; the oldest revisions of IOS 36 and lower have the trucha bug, which will be useful until NAND modifying applications are updated to not require this, but these IOSes will not work on "LU64+" wiis). Delete any patched IOSes over 200 with AnyTitle Deleter. Do not delete lower numbered IOSes.
August 17, 2010 02:02PM
Thanks for the response, jbc007! That's good to know. I'm going to check that out later on tonight if I can.
August 17, 2010 05:17PM
I don't mean to trod on jbc007's explanation, it seems very accurate, but does anyone have some sort of verification? Did this work for you BeatBionic?
I suppose I will try myself, just making a bootmii backup first

Whoops! Nevermind, found the pages on IOS's
still, is there any IOS that should not reinstalled/deleted besides 58? (and 254)
edit again!
IOS 0 is not on the list, so...any explanation
if an IOS is custom, is it possible that a game that uses the ios would not load because of it being custom?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2010 05:28PM by LinkSlayer64.
August 17, 2010 06:19PM
LinkSlayer64
still, is there any IOS that should not reinstalled/deleted besides 58? (and 254)

Reinstalling an IOS is never an issue, provided you don't install old IOSes on "LU64+" wiis or stub your system menu's IOS. However, it is almost always a bad idea to uninstall an IOS lower than Nintendo's current highest IOS (currently IOS 80).

LinkSlayer64

IOS 0 does not exist.

LinkSlayer64
if an IOS is custom, is it possible that a game that uses the ios would not load because of it being custom?

If you mean patching an IOS used by an official wii game, this could cause problems, but it usually does not (though that depends on the nature of the patch).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2010 06:20PM by jbc007.
August 17, 2010 06:51PM
jbc007
LinkSlayer64

IOS 0 does not exist.

I've been wondering about that too, because the HackMii Installer seems to always report the presence of IOS 0.
August 18, 2010 12:25AM
There was a topic about IOS 0 way back when...
[forum.wiibrew.org]
August 18, 2010 10:10PM
To summarize the outcome of that thread: I believe IOS0 is the result of a hacked TMD used to gain increased access to NAND for some apps. Originally used by a NAND FS dumper AFAIK.
August 20, 2010 04:49PM
IOS0 was created in my Wii by BootMii when I backed up my NAND.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login