Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

What happened to Wiinstall?

Posted by jbc007 
What happened to Wiinstall?
August 26, 2010 10:21PM
I thought it was intended to be a WiiBrew supported replacement for Dop-Mii. Did it somehow break the rules?
Re: What happened to Wiinstall?
August 27, 2010 01:06AM
No, it was never meant to be released yet.

Arikado had been helping lukegb make a WiiBrew friendly version of dop-Mii, but it was nowhere near ready. Next thing he knew, it popped up on WiiBrew as "Wiinstall" (a name he never approved) and one of the listed devs was a person he never heard of. So it was removed till its ready for a proper release, and has a proper official name etc.
August 27, 2010 01:09AM
I see. At least it is in development.
August 27, 2010 02:58AM
I was that unknown developer. In the irc, I was thinking of names the Wiibrew version should be, and lukegb thought one was good, and we started working on it as Wiinstall. Arikado got mad a few days later because he said it was premature code not ready for release, even though I think it was fine. Appearantly, it was mirrored and written about on many sites already before it was taken off, so if you want it, you can Google it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2010 03:01AM by Steveice10.
August 27, 2010 08:18AM
I disagree with Steveice10 that it's a fine release but it did get me system menu 4.3, I will wait for the official release.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2010 04:01AM by Wiill.
August 28, 2010 01:07AM
I didnt have the chance to try it myself, but I think I will wait until Arikado releases the final version.

Just a couple questions you may know if you tried it already:

1) Does it have to run on a pre-installed patched IOS?
2) If not, what exploit does it use to install/remove/downgrade IOSes?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/28/2010 01:07AM by Axel.
August 28, 2010 03:18AM
I'm not one to bring our private issues into the public domain. But here goes ...

First a quick preface: lukegb and I have been developing a version of DOP-Mii for WiiBrew. It's final name is "DOP-Mii: WIiBrew Edition". It removes functionality from no DOP-Mii no longer supported by WiiBrew and changes it's installation methods to install content via a method that can work on vanilla IOS 58. You can look at it under the "DOP-Mii: WiiBrew Edition" branch in the DOP-Mii SVN.

I'll explain what happened with the unfortunate early release on WiiBrew as I go along to respond to this post:

Steveice10
I was that unknown developer. In the irc, I was thinking of names the Wiibrew version should be, and lukegb thought one was good, and we started working on it as Wiinstall. Arikado got mad a few days later because he said it was premature code not ready for release, even though I think it was fine. Appearantly, it was mirrored and written about on many sites already before it was taken off, so if you want it, you can Google it.
YOU ARE NOT A DEVELOPER! You compiled the branch, changed the name, and put it on WiiBrew (with lukegb's approval because he "misunderstood" what you were asking him) and listed yourself as a developer. YOU NEVER WROTE A SINGLE LINE OF CODE IN THE BRANCH!

There were many bugs preventing the code to be released publicly outside of the SVN:
1)The program gives you the option to exit to Priiloader even if you do not have it installed
2)It does not compile under SVN libogc as of the latest HBC release
3)System analysis needs more development and testing. As it is, it will not work for everyone.
4)Some of the channels have installation problems
5)It has not been thoroughly tested enough to eliminate the possibility of other bugs
6)The boot2 update code is in the process of being completely rewritten and currently does not work

lukegb and I have both decided not to release the program until all of these issues are addressed. When they are, it will be released under the name DOP-Mii: WiiBrew Edition.

For those wondering, DOP-Mii (main branch) will continue to be developed separately after the WiiBrew Edition is released and will never return to WiiBrew. I can not discuss it anymore via these forums unfortunately.
August 28, 2010 05:50AM
Arikado
For those wondering, DOP-Mii (main branch) will continue to be developed separately after the WiiBrew Edition is released and will never return to WiiBrew. I can not discuss it anymore via these forums unfortunately.

You just made my day! :D I was just about to ask you in other place if there was any chance you could still support the fully functional DOP-Mii even if it was never published in WiiBrew! Now I can go to sleep :D

It looks like I will stick to v13 for a while.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login