Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

USB Drive not working with Homebrew Channel

Posted by DJYoshiman 
USB Drive not working with Homebrew Channel
September 16, 2010 07:25PM
I have a FAT32 partition in my USB hard drive. The problem is that the Homebrew Channel itself doesn't seem to be recognizing the USB drive. I have the latest Homebrew Channel, I installed the IOS58, and then re-installed the Homebrew Channel and HackMii.

Is there something about the Homebrew Channel that doesn't like my USB drive? No applications can recognize it, either.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/16/2010 07:30PM by DJYoshiman.
Re: USB Drive not working with Homebrew Channel
September 17, 2010 12:23AM
Have you used HBC 1.0.6 before? If so, did your HDD work then?

Not all USB devices are compatible with the Wii. And it seems that with the latest version of HBC and IOS58, some devices seemed to have lost compatibility somehow.
September 17, 2010 08:21AM
I have used it before, but I just bought this hard drive 2 days ago.

It's not on the compatibility list, so I wouldn't know. However, I did search up for this issue on this forum before (although all solutions didn't do a thing for it), and noticed that some one replied with a suggestion of testing out it's compatibility with the configurable usb loader, so I tried that, and it seemed to recognize the USB drive.

So somehow that's recognizing it, but the HBC and applications aren't.
September 17, 2010 09:33PM
DJYoshiman
I have used it before, but I just bought this hard drive 2 days ago.

It's not on the compatibility list, so I wouldn't know. However, I did search up for this issue on this forum before (although all solutions didn't do a thing for it), and noticed that some one replied with a suggestion of testing out it's compatibility with the configurable usb loader, so I tried that, and it seemed to recognize the USB drive.

So somehow that's recognizing it, but the HBC and applications aren't.

Did you take the time to read the bold read print at the top of the forums? Discussing loaders for ANY reason is forbidden here. Even if it's for the sake of "testing" an HDD, nobody on these forums would refer you to use a loader to see if an HDD was compatible with your Wii... unless you were looking to load your HDD with backups, in which case my point still stands (loaders and the like are NOT discussed here).

I'm sorry, but I don't feel like pointing out that many solutions now. Either buy a different HDD, or go back to HBC 1.0.6 and test from there and pray it works.Those are the only two options I can give you regarding legal homebrew.
September 19, 2010 04:21AM
Sorry, I was looking up solutions on google - the reference was actually made in a different forum, though I'm wary to link because I'm now paranoid of what I should say; despite just wanting to use a hard drive to load up applications because my cat decided to chew up my 16 GB SD card and I need to use my other SD card for camera reasons, and it would make things a whole lot easier.

But at any rate, I'll try version 1.0.6 and see if it works - if not, hopefully I can trade this in for another hard drive.

As well, I was not planning on discussing a loader, nor even using it (besides, I don't even know what it is or does) - I researched solutions on google and managed to find one that led me to a clue that my Wii can actually recognize the hard drive, but only one application seems to work.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2010 04:22AM by DJYoshiman.
September 22, 2010 11:41AM
I've got the same problem. USB hard drive was working fine before the latest update to IOS58 and HBC 1.0.8. Now it doesn't work most of the time.

If I tell HBC to load from the USB drive and press OK all the apps disappear and then after a few seconds it loads them from SD card again. Bringing up the menu the USB option is now greyed out and unselectable. Sometimes it re-enables itself and works or just goes grayed-out again. It's intermittent and sporadic, but most of the time it just plain does not work.

After some homebrew app crashed and I restarted my Wii, then booted into the HBC it went straight to apps on the USB drive. I only have one app on my USB drive (CleanRip) and it seems to access the USB drive just fine.

Also, I'm not sure how this is related but now WiiXplorer crashes (stack/code dump) any time I try to bring up the list of drives, but it also used to work just fine. I had put CleanRip on my USB drive so I could move it to SD with WiiXplorer (because I don't have an SD reader) but this bug is preventing me from doing that and most of the time it prevents me from accessing CleanRip off the USB drive.

There's something wrong with IOS58 or HBC 1.0.8 or something that broke compatibility with USB drives that were working just fine before. Is there any information out that on what it is or how to fix it?
September 24, 2010 01:35AM
I did a bit of research, and Its just a bug with ios 58. I'd recomend going back to 1.0.7 or lower. It's probably because ios 58 is for cameras.
September 25, 2010 05:42PM
Fantastic bug reporting guys; you didn't even mention the make and model of your hard drives.
October 04, 2010 04:43PM
I'm having a similar problem
I'm running homebrew channel 1.0.8 and Wii 4.3

I can switch and view apps on my USB and they even run but when I try to load anything or run a game I get error opening directory 'usb:/dir'
this happens with any app I run
everything worked fine before I updated my Wii
October 05, 2010 01:11AM
Its best if you start your own topic on your own problem, and not revive dead threads like this one.
October 05, 2010 04:45PM
Well, I don't really believe this thread was fully dead.

It is not that old (less than 10 days) and the problem reported is still not solved, so it is still open for answers.

If adj789 is experiencing the same issue after doing the same update, then we can consider his post fits well in here. Otherwise, they would tell him: There is already one thread discussing this! Please search before posting! ... and send him to here :)

I see no problems with his post.
October 05, 2010 11:56PM
Sorry my fault looked at the date wrong.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login