Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

hack mii

Posted by spidersat69 
hack mii
September 22, 2010 11:39PM
Hi,
I'm pretty new to all this - have checked lots of responses but still need some help!
I have just updated Hackmii from an older version.
I had bootmii saved as IOS.
Can I update bootmii and save as boot 2 or will this cause any problems?
Running 3.2E version
Thanks
Re: hack mii
September 23, 2010 01:52AM
You can have both BootMii as boot2 and IOS without problems.
If you were not able to install as boot2 (although since you have 3.2 you probably have an old enough Wii) you still wouldn't be able to install it as boot2 (but again this is probably not the case).
September 23, 2010 03:58PM
bg4545
If you were not able to install as boot2, you still wouldn't be able to install it as boot2

Yeah, that makes perfect sense! :D

spidersat69:
Go ahead and install BootMii as boot2, you will have no issues :)
September 23, 2010 08:16PM
Thanks guys,

I've now done it and installed it as boot 2 and all is working ok.

Is their any benefit to updating to latest system menu or would your advice be to leave it on 3.2e?

Many thanks again
September 23, 2010 08:51PM
There is essentially no benefit to updating. You will get the SD card channel and SDHC card support in the system menu (but not in old games, and homebrew already supports SDHC cards), but this is not that useful unless you have purchased many things from the shop channel. Also, you will no longer be able to copy the Homebrew Channel and other custom channels from an SD card back to the wii. Bannerbomb will not work (though you really don't need it again). Finally, homebrew that relies on old IOS exploits (trucha bug) will no longer work. Some applications no longer require such IOS exploits, but many still do. Although there are workarounds, they are pointless and generally not supported here. Finally, Bootmii/boot2 will be removed, but it can be reinstalled.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2010 08:52PM by jbc007.
September 23, 2010 09:25PM
Many thanks - I think I will leave it as it is then!
September 23, 2010 11:15PM
Now that you have bootmii as boot2, first thing I'd suggest you to do is to create a backup of your NAND (Wii Internal Memory).

Given you successfully now have bootmii as boot2, you can always restore your wii to its current state as long as you keep the backup stored in some safe place :)

This will give you the freedom of updating if you want to see how it is, decide if you like it and want to keep it, or revert your wii back as it is now at any time. This is the best and most fun part of having bootmii as boot2!

Still, there is a word of warning: Updating to any version above 4.1 will remove bootmii from boot2, however it can always be reinstalled, and you will then still be able to restore your backup. Nevertheless, if you used bannerbomb to run hackmii installer, it won't work under 4.3, you need to use one of the other (disc based) exploits.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2010 11:17PM by Axel.
September 24, 2010 01:00AM
Why go to so much unnecessary effort when there is no possible benefit? Of course, making a NAND backup is still a very good idea.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/24/2010 01:01AM by jbc007.
September 24, 2010 06:16PM
Thanks all for the advice. I have made a NAND backup and put it somewhere safe!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login