Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Gecko OS is better than Starfall(sticky please)

Posted by strongfan 
Gecko OS is better than Starfall(sticky please)
December 27, 2008 03:24AM
In many threads, I notice people saying to use Starfall to skip the update partition on a Wii Disk. Just one problem: STARFALL HAS A HIGH CHANCE OF BRICKING YOUR WII! a VERRY high chance! On the other hand, Gecko OS, along with any homebrew app that launches games, can and will skip the update partition with virtually no risk to your Wii. People need to be aware of this!
Re: Gecko OS is better than Starfall(sticky please)
December 27, 2008 04:02AM
Hello,

Do you have any evidence of Starfall bricking Wiis? While that sort of code can in theory brick Wiis (and preloader has done...), Starfall itself has been well tested and I cannot find any reports of it doing any damage whatsoever. Although Gecko OS can skip updates a well, Starfall has the advantage that it does not require loading the Homebrew Channel every time one wants to play the game in question.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2008 04:03AM by comex.
December 27, 2008 05:59AM
comex
Hello,

Do you have any evidence of Starfall bricking Wiis? While that sort of code can in theory brick Wiis (and preloader has done...), Starfall itself has been well tested and I cannot find any reports of it doing any damage whatsoever. Although Gecko OS can skip updates a well, Starfall has the advantage that it does not require loading the Homebrew Channel every time one wants to play the game in question.

quite right.. I completely agree with Comex
December 27, 2008 04:31PM
I actually prefer Gecko OS. Rebooting your wii with hooks provides the same effects as starfalls update skipper in that you can launch games from the system menu without worrying about updates. The hooks stay attached until the wii is unplugged. So the wii can be turned off (I've done this) just not unplugged. And I rarely ever unplug my Wii. Also, Gecko OS works on multiple system firmwares whereas Starfall only works on 3.2 Plus, Gecko OS's hooks are less permanant than than starfalls update skipper.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2008 04:32PM by Arikado.
December 27, 2008 05:03PM
wait... I thought you can only use the Gecko OS hooks in pre 3.3 Wiis... after that, you have to boot through the HBC and Gecko.
December 27, 2008 05:55PM
Gecko OS rebooter works completely fine in the 3.3v1 system menu. Not sure about the v2 (23Oct update)...
December 27, 2008 05:59PM
I haven't seen the rebooter option... and I am on 3.3 v1...

I'll check it out again!
December 27, 2008 08:27PM
DrLucky
I haven't seen the rebooter option... and I am on 3.3 v1...

I'll check it out again!
You're probably using an outdated version of Gecko OS. Be sure you're using the latest version.
December 28, 2008 02:24AM
Arikado
I actually prefer Gecko OS. Rebooting your wii with hooks provides the same effects as starfalls update skipper in that you can launch games from the system menu without worrying about updates. The hooks stay attached until the wii is unplugged. So the wii can be turned off (I've done this) just not unplugged. And I rarely ever unplug my Wii. Also, Gecko OS works on multiple system firmwares whereas Starfall only works on 3.2 Plus, Gecko OS's hooks are less permanant than than starfalls update skipper.
Huh?! Even if I hard-reset it? Even if I load a Channel? Because, Guitar Hero Aerosmith came with an update and I couldn't skip it w/out going into Gecko OS... and I haven't unplugged my Wii for months!
December 28, 2008 02:30AM
strongfan
Arikado
Huh?! Even if I hard-reset it? Even if I load a Channel? Because, Guitar Hero Aerosmith came with an update and I couldn't skip it w/out going into Gecko OS... and I haven't unplugged my Wii for months!
Yup. Go into Gecko OS, press B on the wiimote to reboot with hooks and you're good to go. Make sure your using the latest version of Gecko OS btw.
December 28, 2008 02:51AM
no USB Gecko?
December 28, 2008 03:37AM
will the hooks also allow for trucha signed discs?

I always have to boot them through Gecko... but it would be better if I could through the normal disc channel!
December 28, 2008 07:30AM
How permanent Gecko OS really is?
I installed it today out of curiosity since I don't really have any games from other regions and neither any games that require a system update higher than what I already have (3.3U with Oct 23 update). However, I could not figure out how it works since the Gecko OS screen just persists and you can do nothing but hard reset the Wii.
The thing is that I deleted it using the Homebrew Browser and the Gecko icon is still lit up on the Homebrew Channel. I reboot and remove the SD card and the icon is still lit up.
How do I really get rid of it?
December 28, 2008 10:00AM
The Gecko icon just indicates you have a USBGecko present. It doesn't actuallty have anything to do with GeckoOS
December 28, 2008 06:00PM
Thanks.
That's even more puzzling as I don't own a Gecko USB and don't have anything connected to the USB port.
December 28, 2008 06:32PM
I figured what it causing the issue but not why.
I have an original Nintendo and a MadCatz Gamecube memory card.
When I have both plugged in, the Homebrew Channel apparently "thinks" there is a USB Gecko installed and lights up the icon. Furthermore, when I launch Gecko OS under these conditions, I just get the Gecko OS border with no menu options and no way to exit but to force the Wii to shut down. This might be a bug of sorts.
December 28, 2008 06:55PM
Apparently, the reboot with hooks option does not work with 3.3 and the Oct 23rd updates.
I go into Gecko OS and press B and get the following message:
Rebooting With Hooks
Error Loading Menu
December 28, 2008 07:01PM
I guess this also means I can't use Gecko OS to launch games skipping the DVD update checks.
That sucks.
December 28, 2008 08:45PM
Don't you just launch the game from within GeckoOS to skip the update checks? As opposed to using the "rebooter"
December 28, 2008 09:19PM
Yeah, Gecko OS cant work with 3.3v2 and up, but it still works with more firmwares than starfall. Its also less permanant which is great for people wary of "serious" (permanant) hacking.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login