Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

BootMii question

Posted by lorddunlow 
BootMii question
November 24, 2010 09:30PM
Just a few questions:

1. Is there any benefit gained from having boot2v4? (Keep in mind, I don't ever plan on updating via an official update)

2. Is there any problems I will run into having boot2v2 on my Wii (I have BootMii installed as boot2 and StartPatch blocking of updates)?

3. My current BootMii setup will only boot to the last version of the HBC (JODI) due to the change in title IDs. Is there any way to change this other than updating my version of BootMii to the newest version? And will that version change me to boot2v4?

4. As a slightly tangential question: Are there any problems I could run into with my Frankenstein Wii setup - I have only updated with DopMii (or similar) since the October 23rd update (my last official update was to System Menu 3.3 prior to the Oct. 23rd update). As such, I have the oldest versions of many of the IOSs. I have only updated the IOSs that absolutely had to be updated for the shop channel and for System Menu 4.2 (I skipped everything in between 3.3 and 4.2). Basically, is the brick risk of the LU64+ Wiis a hardware thing, or solely related to the new boot2v4?

5. Completely unrelated question: Is there anywhere where I can find some more technical information about the wii software and hardware other than what is on Wiibrew (other than google, of course)? I would like to be more knowledgeable about how the Wii works, so I could understand some of the more technical parts of the HackMii blog and just Wii functionality/homebrew in general.

Thanks in advance for any responses.
Re: BootMii question
November 24, 2010 11:05PM
lorddunlow
Just a few questions:

1. Is there any benefit gained from having boot2v4? (Keep in mind, I don't ever plan on updating via an official update)
No, not that I can think of.

lorddunlow
2. Is there any problems I will run into having boot2v2 on my Wii (I have BootMii installed as boot2 and StartPatch blocking of updates)?
No, there's nothing that requires you to update to v4.

lorddunlow
3. My current BootMii setup will only boot to the last version of the HBC (JODI) due to the change in title IDs. Is there any way to change this other than updating my version of BootMii to the newest version? And will that version change me to boot2v4?
No, BootMii is tied to whatever HBC title ID it was coded for. You can update BootMii with the HackMii Installer and you don't have to update boot2.

lorddunlow
4. As a slightly tangential question: Are there any problems I could run into with my Frankenstein Wii setup - I have only updated with DopMii (or similar) since the October 23rd update (my last official update was to System Menu 3.3 prior to the Oct. 23rd update). As such, I have the oldest versions of many of the IOSs. I have only updated the IOSs that absolutely had to be updated for the shop channel and for System Menu 4.2 (I skipped everything in between 3.3 and 4.2). Basically, is the brick risk of the LU64+ Wiis a hardware thing, or solely related to the new boot2v4?
There shouldn't be any problems. If you have such an old Wii, you don't have to worry about anything to do with "LU64+" Wii's; it is a hardware thing.

lorddunlow
5. Completely unrelated question: Is there anywhere where I can find some more technical information about the wii software and hardware other than what is on Wiibrew (other than google, of course)? I would like to be more knowledgeable about how the Wii works, so I could understand some of the more technical parts of the HackMii blog and just Wii functionality/homebrew in general.
Not that I know of; pretty much everything I know about how the Wii works I've read from WiiBrew or HackMii. The blog does go over my head sometimes but if you look around enough there's a lot of information out there.
November 25, 2010 04:26PM
lorddunlow
The title loaded from bootmii is contained within the PPC application on the SD card. So after updating to a new version of the HBC, just run the prepare SD card option and it will work. No need to reinstall boot2.
November 25, 2010 07:06PM
I would just update through Nintendo, I mean you already got the new HBC, you could reinstall bootmii after the update.

Thats what I would do, but it is your Wii, do as you want.
November 26, 2010 06:08PM
Daid
lorddunlow
The title loaded from bootmii is contained within the PPC application on the SD card. So after updating to a new version of the HBC, just run the prepare SD card option and it will work. No need to reinstall boot2.

It is highly recommended to also reinstall BootMii as Boot2 whenever you upgrade to a new version of HackMii, not only prepare your SD card again.

They usually release changes to the code of Boot2 which are not documented in the readme, but which improve the BootMii compatibility and stability.

See here:
[forum.wiibrew.org]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login