Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wii's device name

Posted by Magil 
Wii's device name
December 09, 2010 08:24PM
I personally considered this the correct subforum, but if I'm wrong, feel free to move this to a more appropriate section. Anyways...

I've been my connecting my Wii to the internet on several ocassions to play Monster Hunter Tri online with random people. However, every time I wish to play with someone, I have to go through the whole ordeal of setting up my Wii to the network, given that I'm extremely paranoid. After I finish my online sessions, I come back and erase all settings. But I think I'm missing my point...

When I got my Wii, brand new, before installing any homebrew and whatnot, I remember tinkering with my console's settings, and finding an option to give a nickname of my choice to my console (much like you could do to an i-pod). I decided to call it "Ark" (minus quotes). However... when my Wii's active on the network, it is listed in my router simply with the name "Wii". So what I'd like to know is... what is the purpose of giving your console a nickname? And is there any way to change the name the Wii is listed with in the router?

Thanks in advance.
Re: Wii's device name
December 09, 2010 11:56PM
First, if your being paranoid about nintendo finding you using homebrew while on the internet, don't worrie about it. As long as you don't use any cheats then they will never find out.
As for your second question, I don't believe that can be changed as the name is most likely hardcoded into the system.
December 10, 2010 12:00AM
There isn't really a purpose to giving your console a nickname as far as I know.
December 10, 2010 01:45AM
g_man
First, if your being paranoid about nintendo finding you using homebrew while on the internet, don't worrie about it. As long as you don't use any cheats then they will never find out.

I'm aware of that. I'm paranoid like most people about System Updates and such, and one other thing that's too... ummm... I'll talk about it once "that" has "ended". Don't ask.
December 10, 2010 05:18AM
Magil
I'm paranoid like most people about System Updates and such
I don't believe that they even have the ability to do this with their software, or the legal authority.
As with bg4545, I don't think there is a point to giving your console a nickname. Even when you recvieve a message from a friend, sender listed is whatever you typed into your address book.
December 12, 2010 06:37PM
The Nickname is used on the Wii speak channel, I think that's about it. Mine is nicknamed "****'s Wii" (**** = name of owner which is me).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login