Posted by jon.allcock 
Update from 3.4e to latest wii firmware
January 03, 2011 03:19PM
Hi,

I am currently running the following versions:

Wii firmware 3.4e.
iOS 37 v14.25
homebrew channel 1.0.8

Can I upgrade my Wii firmware to the latest version using the nintendo updater?

When i try and run BootMii the screen just goes blank and the CD drive flashes !!

Does this mean my homebrew install is not protected??

Thanks
John
Re: Update from 3.4e to latest wii firmware
January 03, 2011 05:19PM
jon.allcock
Can I upgrade my Wii firmware to the latest version using the nintendo updater?

Yes, you can.

jon.allcock
When i try and run BootMii the screen just goes blank and the CD drive flashes !!

Does this mean my homebrew install is not protected??

I'm not entirely sure about this, but if it flashes it's because it's trying to give you a message. I'm quite unfortunate in still not learning by heart what all the flash patterns mean, but it certainly doesn't mean your homebrew isn't protected.
Since you already updated HBC to v1.0.8, it's perfectly safe to update, and you shouldn't fear losing HBC because Sys Menu 4.3 was designed to remove an older version of HBC that used a different title ID.

I do, however, strongly encourage you not to update, since there is no real benefit to updating. Sys Menu 4.3, as well as several of the last updates released in the last couple of years, include no new content and merely exist for the sole purpose of attempting to stop homebrew.
If what you need is to recover functionality for the Shop Channel, there are alternative methods to get it working without having to necessarily update. However, as I said, it's perfectly safe to do so and you may proceed with it if you so wish.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2011 05:19PM by Magil.
January 04, 2011 12:33AM
If I remember from reading on here, if the drive flashes blue bootmii is installed, but you need to prepare the sd card for it. But not really for sure, might look on the wiki or look up bootmii.com I don't mess with bootmii it doesn't do ma any good since I can only install it as a IOS.
January 05, 2011 03:04AM
I suggest you update it, as it would add support for up to 32 GB SDHC SD Cards, SD Card Menu, you get the "Move" option in the Data Management, and SD Cards read/ write times are faster.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login