Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Would installing a custom channel brick a LU64+ Wii?

Posted by Wii404 
Would installing a custom channel brick a LU64+ Wii?
January 14, 2011 01:03PM
Sorry for the surplus of topics, but I need info so I can hack my friend's Wii safely tommorow, and this is my most reliable source.

If I were to install a custom channel (with emulator channel installers from the Homebrew Browser), would it brick a LU64+ Wii as a result, or would it continue to function normally?
Re: Would installing a custom channel brick a LU64+ Wii?
January 14, 2011 05:09PM
The ONLY thing that will not work on an "LU64+ Wii" is downgraded IOS (and therefore downgraded System Menus, as they use downgraded IOS).

On very new models, DVDs cannot be played (only official, pressed discs). And on all LU64+ Wiis (as well as some before that) I believe you cannot install BootMii/boot2. But both these things aren't anything to do with "LU64+ Wiis"

Everything else (priiloader, custom channels, whatever) WILL work.
January 14, 2011 05:09PM
As long as you follow a proper guide to mod it, you will be alright. I have a launch wii and a second wii that i bout in summer of 2008. The 2008 model is a LU64 model. I have installed so much crap on it in the last two years and nothing has ever bricked my wii. Not saying it can not happen, just that the odds, if you follow all your instructions properly, are so low, you would have a higher chance of dieing in a bowl of soup. I hope you get that analogy. Good luck!

Edit: It seems I posted same time as SifJar. Lol On that note, I would like to point out, that when I bought my LU64 Wii, the only way to run home-brew was to banner-bomb and downgrade to 3.2 at the time. So in essence, you could in fact downgrade it, but doing so is not needed anymore as I am sure SifJar was pointing out. :D

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2011 05:15PM by zeveroth.
January 14, 2011 06:06PM
zeveroth
As long as you follow a proper guide to mod it, you will be alright. I have a launch wii and a second wii that i bout in summer of 2008. The 2008 model is a LU64 model. I have installed so much crap on it in the last two years and nothing has ever bricked my wii. Not saying it can not happen, just that the odds, if you follow all your instructions properly, are so low, you would have a higher chance of dieing in a bowl of soup. I hope you get that analogy. Good luck!

Edit: It seems I posted same time as SifJar. Lol On that note, I would like to point out, that when I bought my LU64 Wii, the only way to run home-brew was to banner-bomb and downgrade to 3.2 at the time. So in essence, you could in fact downgrade it, but doing so is not needed anymore as I am sure SifJar was pointing out. :D

Wouldn't work without SM 3.2 patched to use a newer IOS. Or else a newer IOS patched to install to an older slot. IOS30 (normally used by SM 3.2) would not function on an "LU64+" Wii. And it was never necessary to downgrade for any homebrew. Warez perhaps. But never homebrew.
January 14, 2011 06:20PM
SifJar
The ONLY thing that will not work on an "LU64+ Wii" is downgraded IOS (and therefore downgraded System Menus, as they use downgraded IOS).

On very new models, DVDs cannot be played (only official, pressed discs). And on all LU64+ Wiis (as well as some before that) I believe you cannot install BootMii/boot2. But both these things aren't anything to do with "LU64+ Wiis"

Everything else (priiloader, custom channels, whatever) WILL work.

Thank you for the referance, SifJar, I'm sure I'll be prepared for tommorow knowing that Priiloader and Custom Channels will work and barely pose a threat to the Wii.

zeveroth

Thank you for assuring me. If you may, can I have a link to a LU64+ Hacking guide, if possible? If you don't have one right now, I can search for one.

Thank you for the support.
January 14, 2011 06:53PM
An LU64+ hacking guide is the same as any other. THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE. Unless you're looking for warez, in which case you won't find what you're looking for here. But even then, these days the methods are universal.
January 24, 2011 04:40PM
When I first purchased the wii, downgrading was what the guide said and I used it without a problem. Warez and the likes of that stuff wasn't mentioned in the guide I used. I guess the guide I used was not a guide I should have used, but you know, it worked. Also I have no clue where that guide is b\c it was in a bookmark I lost when my pc at the time had died out. But yea a simple search would help you find one.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login