Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

UPnP Media Server?

Posted by mooey 
UPnP Media Server?
August 15, 2008 07:56AM
I think it would be a great idea to turn the Wii into a media client that loads media off a computer or server. This could allow users to play .AVIs and other formats straight from their computer so they can watch all your media on your television, or even better, let users drag and drop files from their computer to the Wii instantly giving them access to such programs.

Ideas:
Installing any app off of your computer instead of using SD cards.
Installing ROMS for games
Streaming music and movies from your computer to your Wii without the use of the Internet Channel.
Ability to drag Wii saves, Miis, and other files from your Wii to your copy.

Some examples of media servers:
[mediatomb.cc]
[www.twonkyvision.de]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2008 12:34AM by mooey.
Re: UPnP Media Server?
August 15, 2008 08:45AM
But then, the computer is the server, the wii the client...
August 15, 2008 08:46AM
Well theres already a few things like this out there you can use FTPii to copy files to the Wii also you can use MPlayer and GeeXbox to stream stuff as well as several other streaming media servers you can use thru the Internet Channel.
August 15, 2008 02:50PM
What your actually asking for is a client... not server... and you can already do this from the internet channel as already stated...
but when the media players all have a function like this working well then it will probalby do a better job than through the internet channel anyways...
August 15, 2008 11:01PM
Good idea, but you mean client, not server. However, it would be cool if it worked both ways, playing and sending files from and to a pc.
August 17, 2008 12:28AM
Yeah, what I meant was the Wii be the client and the computer the server. Sorry.

Anyway, it'd be a really neat idea. I started thinking more and more about it, and how cool would it be to install your ROMs into your emulator.

And I didn't know this about Geexbox, I thought it only did SD-to-Wii streaming. I'll check that out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2008 12:35AM by mooey.
August 17, 2008 06:56AM
You have to use the USB Ethernet adapter though because linux doesn't support Wi-Fi yet. Anyways its not hard to put any files on the sd card from your pc using FTPii which does support Wi-Fi.
August 18, 2008 08:50AM
mooey, GeexBox (and mplayer) supports even Usb-HDD.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login