Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

wii disc drive help

Posted by lenox361 
wii disc drive help
October 30, 2011 09:24AM
hello everyone! i have a softmodded wii. runs great but now the disc drive keeps trying to load a cd but theres nothing there. does it every 5-10 minutes now. any suggestions? i know its killing the drive because its starting to sound slower now. :(
Re: wii disc drive help
October 30, 2011 01:07PM
Did you install any patched IOS? If so, that's most likely your problem, and the fact that they cause problems is why they are not supported here.
October 31, 2011 12:36AM
no ios installation lately, thanks for the response. and what is a patched ios btw i do use cios installer but i cant remember what i installed.last. would it help if i posted my system info with syscheck?
October 31, 2011 12:38AM
and i just put a cd in the drive because it would not shut up, it was also turning itself on without a cd in it
October 31, 2011 03:12PM
cIOS = patched IOS. So yeah, you did install one.

Yeah, a SysCheck may help to see what IOS is messed up. There is a possibility this could be a hardware issue, particularly if it started randomly after a long period where you made no changes to IOS.
October 31, 2011 09:36PM
There's an optical sensor just inside the drive slot that detects when a disc is inserted and triggers the "pull in" sequence (it also turns the wii on if it's off). Sounds like yours is dirty.
October 31, 2011 11:34PM
you guys are amazing thanks for everything yall do. it sure was dirty tho i have a 1 year old attracted to the blue light and i think she got her fingers in there, i just inserted a cd and ejected and solved the problem, as for system checker i will try to work on that, dont really know how to use it. and i have an off topic question since yall are both here,, hehe..i am trying to make a nand backup and it starts doing the back up and when it gets to the last two rows of it i get that write error ret-2, something im doing wrong?
October 31, 2011 11:41PM
SysCheck isn't important anymore seeing as we have established what the problem was.

As for the NAND backup: Are you using BootMii for this or some other NAND dumper? If something else, what app is it?
October 31, 2011 11:42PM
bootmii sir
October 31, 2011 11:45PM
also i do not have boot2 and i have read somewhere that restoring a nand with the bootmii iso can brick the wii. is that true?

and i kind of want to update to 4.3, is that smart? i have 1.0.8 of hbc but im not sure if i should chance it, what would it benifit?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2011 12:00AM by lenox361.
November 01, 2011 01:15AM
If you have the latest version of HBC you can update and it will be fine, which I think its 1.0.8.
November 01, 2011 09:04AM
SIFJAR i require your knowledge :)
November 01, 2011 09:45AM
There is no benefit to updating, but there is no real downside either if you have the latest HBC. Nintendo added no new features. However, it does mean you can access Shop Channel without a workaround (if you don't update, use DOP-Mii:WiiBrew Edition to update the Shop Channel and IOS56, then it should work).

As for the BootMii stuff: BootMii/IOS will not let you restore a NAND dump without entering a code on a GC controller because it is dangerous. Due to the nature of BootMii/IOS, you can ONLY access it if you are able to run some sort of homebrew. And if that is the case, there IS a better way to fix your Wii than restoring a NAND dump. If you were to restore a NAND dump, and for some reason it failed, your Wii would most likely be irreparably bricked, because you would no longer be able to access BootMii/IOS.

With BootMii/boot2, BootMii is one of the first things the Wii loads, so even if the NAND restore fails, it will always still load (the NAND restore doesn't modify boot2 or anything loaded before it, so BootMii will still be there).

So in other words, don't rely on BootMii/IOS for brick protection. (It also means a NAND dump is actually sort of unnecessary, but it should still work. I have no idea what the issue you are experiencing is...)
November 01, 2011 07:07PM
no issue, i am just trying to take precaution because i had my wii modded by someone now that hes gone i am trying to do it myself and i didnt want to brick it just in case i install something dumb, i already saved it once by installing a bad system menu by loading the mymenufiy .dol from priloader. thanks for everything. dont mean to bug you.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/01/2011 07:07PM by lenox361.
November 01, 2011 07:41PM
Most bricks should be rectifiable using Priiloader as long as you don't do anything stupid. Quick list of "don't"s:

*DON'T install patched IOS unless you know what they do and why you need them
*DON'T mess with System Menu themes unless you're sure about what you're doing
*DON'T install anything from a developer you haven't heard of (this can be tricky. if in doubt, let other people try stuff before you do)
*DON'T uninstall any IOS or the System Menu, under any circumstances
*DON'T mess with changing region (you can load out of region discs with a Priiloader hack or a homebrew app, region changing is largely unnecessary)
*DON'T install updates from an out of region disc if you use Priiloader to load out of region discs (there is an update block hack in Priiloader if you want to feel safe)
*DON'T blindly follow any guides you find on the internet - research is the best defence against bricks, so look up everything you put anywhere near your Wii before doing so
November 01, 2011 08:37PM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login