Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

HBC does not read from USB after IOS58

Posted by larrycooper 
HBC does not read from USB after IOS58
January 04, 2012 01:28PM
Dear All,

during the installation I followed the guide:

"You must have IOS58 to use this channel. Either update to System Menu 4.3, or use the IOS58 Installer.
You must have Homebrew Channel 1.0.8+ running on IOS58 to run the installer. If HBC is not using IOS58, reinstall it."
I installed IOS58, and reinstalled Homebrew after.
Now WiiMC works well (loads both from USB and SD), but Homebrew doesn't work from USB. It sees the disc, because I can select it, but doesn't find the apps in it. From SD it works fine.

Did anyone meet this problem?

thx

Larry
Re: HBC does not read from USB after IOS58
January 04, 2012 06:41PM
USB drives must be formatted to FAT32 for HBC to work with them, and even then compatibility is not 100%. It may be that your drive simply does not work with HBC for some reason. Although seeing as it works with WiiMC, that is less likely. Chances are it's formatted as NTFS. Just make sure the first partition is a FAT32 one, and that is where the apps are stored.
January 04, 2012 08:51PM
I checked, it is FAT32. I checked with other drives also.
The interesting thing is that befor installing IOS58, and reinstalling HBC, it worked fine.

Can I use it on other IOS?
January 04, 2012 09:04PM
IOS58 has the best USB module, all other IOS only support USB 1.1, rather than the much faster USB 2.0. If it works with WiiMC, it should work with HBC - I believe they use the same code for USB access...very puzzling.

And the only way to have HBC use another IOS is to delete ISO58 and reinstall HBC.
January 05, 2012 12:05AM
Run Dop-mii --> reinstall 4.3 menu --> Reinstall HBC from HBC or exploit (whichever is easier for you) to use the IOS58 again. Should fix your problem.
It could also be that the USB drive is incompatible.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2012 12:26AM by d3m0n1q_733rz.
January 05, 2012 04:26AM
There is no reason to reinstall the system menu, that's just risking a brick for no reason.
January 05, 2012 05:55AM
Reinstalling the system menu with Dop-Mii replaces the main IOSes that they'll need (including IOS58). It's about as risky as replacing IOS58 and done the same way. It won't remove HBC and you can download ModMii to replace what you need.
January 05, 2012 06:33AM
If you want to reinstall IOS58, then that's what should be done. Not reinstall the entire system menu. Changing one non-critical IOS is nowhere near as risky as reinstalling the entire system menu.
Modmii is just a batch file that downloads things and tells you what to run on your wii. I don't see why you mentioned it, and due to its support for warez loaders don't do it again.

The real issue here is likely a partitioning problem or large sector drive. WiiMC can access the disc so there's obviously nothing wrong with IOS58 and the drive must be compatible with the current usbstorage and libfat code. The only difference between HBC and WiiMC is that HBC is much older. So enough with the bad advice already.
January 05, 2012 05:19PM
d3m0n1q_733rz
Reinstalling the system menu with Dop-Mii replaces the main IOSes that they'll need (including IOS58).

No it doesn't. dop-Mii installs what you tell it. It will NOT reinstall every IOS when you tell it to install System Menu. It will only install the System Menu. You have to manually tell it to install any IOS you want installed/reinstalled.

And as tueidj said, even if what you said were the case, it would be safer just to reinstall IOS58 than reinstall loads of stuff for no reason.
January 06, 2012 01:10AM
Yeah, I was just trying to tell them to try something they didn't already try. For example, making sure the apps are in the right folder or something along those lines.
January 06, 2012 09:10AM
What? You never said anything about apps folders, and that is irrelevant here anyway.
January 06, 2012 09:55AM
"Now WiiMC works well (loads both from USB and SD), but Homebrew doesn't work from USB. It sees the disc, because I can select it, but doesn't find the apps in it. From SD it works fine."
The boot.elf files need to be in the apps folder. If WiiMC works from the USB, then you're good to go. Also, I can't remember if it's 1 or 2 you push, but it'll bring up a menu in Homebrew Browser to select the SD card. Make sure that you have the SD card selected and not the USB.
January 08, 2012 01:38PM
Dear All,

thanks for the ideas. Before the action (install IOS58, reinstall HBC) it worked well (ie. HBC saw the hard drive, and was able to run apps from it). I did not touch (format, partition, etc) the HD, the content is the same as before.

THX

LC
January 13, 2012 02:26PM
So, what you're saying is that the option to use the USB drive is greyed out in the selection menu when you press 1?
January 13, 2012 02:49PM
d3m0n1q_733rz
So, what you're saying is that the option to use the USB drive is greyed out in the selection menu when you press 1?

Definitely YES!
January 13, 2012 11:39PM
Probably a recompile of HBC with the latest USB fixes from tueidj will fix this. As to when you'll see a new HBC release...I cannot say.
January 16, 2012 07:53AM
Could you please load syscheck and copy the txt file output here so we can see what IOSes you have and maybe help you more?
January 16, 2012 03:07PM
d3m0n1q_733rz
Could you please load syscheck and copy the txt file output here so we can see what IOSes you have and maybe help you more?

Why must you insist on posting stuff that won't help? As Tantric said, the solution is probably for HBC to get recompiled. Will that happen? Maybe. Maybe not. There hasn't been an update in a while, I guess TT have "finished" HBC as much as they want.

EDIT: We already know he has IOS58, which is the only relevant IOS to this problem, and we already know it works because WiiMC works.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2012 03:08PM by SifJar.
January 16, 2012 05:41PM
SifJar: just do what I do, delete the pointless posts.
January 16, 2012 05:44PM
I may have to start doing that indeed.
Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.