Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

End To Future Homebrew?

Posted by TiMeBoMb 
End To Future Homebrew?
October 29, 2012 04:20PM
This seems to be fatal to the homebrew community. =(
How do you guys perceive the impact?
Will BootMii, HackMii, and Team Twiizers be no more?

"The new rules, which go into effect Oct. 28, will let consumers jailbreak or root their smartphones, but not tablet computers and home gaming consoles." [www.foxnews.com]
Re: End To Future Homebrew?
October 29, 2012 05:12PM
It was never "allowed", it won't change a thing, I'm sure.
November 02, 2012 01:47AM
For the most-part, Team Twiizers did a pretty good job staying legal on the things they did. In reality, they always voiced their opposition of piracy. The Homebrew Channel was never illegal to put on your Wii. Now, it will be!
In fact, for the sake of interoperability, reverse-engineering game consoles was completely legal, as long as you stayed within the fine lines. Now, there will be no legal methods. =(

edit: I'm speaking from a U.S. standpoint.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2012 01:49AM by TiMeBoMb.
November 02, 2012 04:34AM
There have been no new rules introduced regarding consoles - the legal standing of the Homebrew Channel is exactly the same as what it was before. This ruling only makes it legal to jailbreak smartphones, it doesn't add any new restrictions to other activities.
November 04, 2012 12:15AM
Yep...There are new rules...

"The new rules also prohibit cracking game consoles such as PlayStations and Xboxes in order to run applications and software not intended by the maker."

Previously, The Homebrew Channel was NOT illegal to install. Now, it is. They have removed the right of interoperability and installation of legally obtained "homebrew" software! =(
November 04, 2012 01:57AM
The article is incorrect, that prohibition is not new.
The new "rules" are only exemptions, not additional restrictions. Nothing has changed for consoles. If you want to argue about it go read what the actual changes were.
November 04, 2012 01:24PM
TiMeBoMb
Yep...There are new rules...

"The new rules also prohibit cracking game consoles such as PlayStations and Xboxes in order to run applications and software not intended by the maker."

Previously, The Homebrew Channel was NOT illegal to install. Now, it is. They have removed the right of interoperability and installation of legally obtained "homebrew" software! =(

Are you quoting Fox news as a reliable news source? I'm not overly familiar with Fox, but everything I have read about them in recent times has been talking about how inaccurate and unreliable they are.
November 04, 2012 09:16PM
Maybe I misread something... https://s3.amazonaws.com/public-inspection.federalregister.gov/2012-26308.pdf
Please feel free to point out my mistakes.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2012 09:17PM by TiMeBoMb.
November 04, 2012 10:46PM
Section IV. B., Under the title of "IV. Classes Considered But Not Recommended"

A few choice quotes:

Proponents sought an exemption from Section 1201(a)(1) to permit such jailbreaking of video game consoles. Because the class they proposed would enable interoperability only with “lawfully obtained software programs,” proponents asserted that the exemption would not authorize or foster infringing activities.

EFF explained that a “large community” of console jailbreakers currently exists for all three major video game consoles but noted that such jailbreakers face potential liability under Section 1201(a)(1).

The Register therefore concluded that proponents had failed to establish that the prohibition on circumvention, as applied to video game console code, is causing substantial adverse effects.

But the Register concluded that in the case of gaming platforms [...] Console access controls protect not only the integrity of the console code, but the copyrighted works that run on the consoles. In so doing, they provide important incentives to create video games and other content for consoles, and thus play a critical role in the development and dissemination of highly innovative copyrighted works.

Because the Register determined that the evidentiary record failed to support a finding that the inability to circumvent access controls on video game consoles has, or over the course of the next three years likely would have, a substantial adverse impact on the ability to make noninfringing uses, the Register declined to recommend the proposed class.

Although NTIA did not support the exemption as requested by proponents, it did support a limited exemption to allow videogame console owners to repair or replace hardware components, or to “obtain unlicensed repairs when the console is out of warranty or when the console and authorized replacement parts are no longer on the market.” As explained above, however, the Register found that the record lacked any factual basis upon which to recommend the designation of even such a limited class.

To summarise, the EFF sought an exemption to an existing law, under which homebrew is illegal [in the US]. The Register (of Copyrights) did not recommend this exemption be granted. By my understanding, the Librarian of Congress then decides the ruling based on these recommendations. In this case, the recommendation of the Register was accepted, and no exemption was granted. So nothing actually changed. (It is interesting to note that NTIA, another government body involved in the process did feel it was acceptable to perform modifications where necessary to repair a console, but the Register disregarded that due to lack of evidence).

For a bit of background on the law in question:

Section 1201(a)(1)(A) provides, in part, that “[n]o person shall circumvent a technological measure that effectively controls access to a work protected” by the Copyright Act. In order to ensure that the public will have the continued ability to engage in noninfringing uses of copyrighted works, however, subparagraph (B) limits this prohibition.

As I understand it, the proposal was to amend subparagraph (B) so as to add additional limitations to subparagraph (A) i.e. exemptions.

Now obviously I'm not a lawyer, so I can't guarantee I am getting this all right, but I think it is quite plainly clear that nothing has actually changed in legal terms.The law has not changed with regards to homebrew. By my understanding, DMCA prohibits it, but that has been discussed to death many times with no universally accepted conclusion. The point is, this ruling makes no difference, because it doesn't change anything.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/04/2012 10:56PM by SifJar.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login