Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wii to WiiU Digital Migration

Posted by kobalobasileus 
Wii to WiiU Digital Migration
November 06, 2012 01:55AM
I suppose it's a bit early to ask about this, since nobody should have a WiiU in their hands yet. But I'm curious: Will having homebrew installed (and not fully updated ioses or patched ioses) cause the Wii-to-WiiU transfer of digital downloads from the Wii Shop Channel to pitch a fit?

I would guess that it would force a system update at the very least. On the other end of the spectrum, if Nintendo doesn't put any enforcement into the transfer process, it might be possible for pirates to "transfer" unlawfully-installed games.

I'd like to transfer my WiiWare collection to my WiiU when I get it, but if I have to mess with my Wii's homebrew installation, update my system menu, or update any ioses, I'll have to just leave it alone and not transfer anything.
Re: Wii to WiiU Digital Migration
November 06, 2012 05:27PM
I assume it will work similar to how the 3DS transfer works. But thats just a guess, anything is possible. However they won't do anything to disable the functionality of the old console.
November 09, 2012 03:40AM
[www.ign.com]

This article seems to imply that there is no actual data that moves between the consoles on the local network. It also seems like it will be a PITA to move large amounts of stuff. I own more WiiWare than will fit on my Wii at any given time, so I assume I'll have to do this process more than once, while shuffling data between my Wii's SD card and internal NAND each time.
November 09, 2012 07:17AM
I strongly suspect that the only data transferred via the SD card will be your miis, savefiles and some system ID data, any WiiWare/VC content will most likely be re-downloaded separately by the Wii-U.
November 18, 2012 01:06AM
[translate.google.com]

Since this Q&A page from Nintendo says it requires a 512MB SD card or greater to do the migration, I don't think it's just moving a few Miis and text files. I don't remember where I saw it, but someone online was speculating that this might mean a complete copy of the Wii's NAND gets moved to the WiiU. I can only imagine that this would be a nightmare for someone like me with a StartPatched system menu, a bunch of non-updated ioses, no ios stubs, and BootMii boot2.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2012 01:07AM by kobalobasileus.
November 19, 2012 02:42PM
So I don't suppose any of ye in the US have tried a system transfer from a Wii to WiiU where you have homebrew on your Wii yet?

I've got the HBC and Riivolution installed on my Wii.... kinda would like to transfer my Wii stuff to my WiiU but obviously no idea how the aforementioned homebrew will effect things?
November 19, 2012 05:27PM
According to reports they don't affect the transfer at all.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login