Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wii Shopping Channel Update – Will It Hurt?

Posted by jhpot 
Wii Shopping Channel Update – Will It Hurt?
November 15, 2012 10:29PM
I wanted to try out the new YouTube channel released today, but noticed I need to update the Shopping Channel to do so. The WiiBrew Wiki tells me there's a new IOS included in this update, but I want to know if installing it would affect the Homewbrew Channel or brick my Wii. Will it?
Re: Wii Shopping Channel Update – Will It Hurt?
November 15, 2012 11:02PM
Nope, it'll be fine. The update does nothing to stop homebrew working. Only thing that could be harmed is backup loading stuff, and we don't support that here.

On a side note: There's a YouTube channel now? Interesting, I'll have to download that at the weekend and check it out.
November 15, 2012 11:15PM
Good to know! And yeah, the YouTube channel was just released today. US only for now, but coming soon everywhere else.
November 16, 2012 02:28AM
Just downloaded it. Kinda clunky and the search is barely functional but it runs well
November 16, 2012 02:41AM
So it doesnt damage anything? I kept reading not to update anything
November 16, 2012 03:24PM
FGGGA
So it doesnt damage anything? I kept reading not to update anything
That's nonsense which only applies to people with warez loaders. Even then, provided you're not a complete idiot you can update normally and not experience many issues.
November 17, 2012 07:47AM
I'd venture to say Nintendo stopped worrying about Homebrew sometime after the release of New Super Mario Bros. Wii.
November 17, 2012 09:32PM
Keep in mind WiiMC (the homebrew Wii Media Channel) has YouTube functionality as well, and uses a lot less memory blocks--only 15 as opposed to over 100 blocks for the official YouTube channel.
November 17, 2012 10:06PM
It's also fairly poor in comparison. I haven't used it extensively, but I dislike the UI for YouTube. As a media player, it's great. But not for YouTube. I reckon the official channel would be better, were I able to get it here in the UK. As for it using less blocks; that's because the channel itself is just a forwarder which loads the actual WiiMC software from the SD card. The software itself isn't part of the channel, whereas with the official YouTube channel, the software IS part of the channel.
November 18, 2012 12:56AM
I just updated the Shop via Dop-Mii. It doesn't require the new ios 62, which isn't available via Dop-Mii anyway. It's extremely easy if you don't want to run the official Nintendo updater. On the other hand, until someone comes up with a stand-alone installer for ios 62, you'll have to use NUS Downloader to grab it.
November 18, 2012 01:32AM
Ha, yeah I was surprised the first time in 5 years that my wii actually said 13 blocks free after download. The only thing the youtube channel offers is a easier UI and the ability to search and sign-in. Its a free channel, should have been in place from day-one but at this stage in the game it is better to have the choice than none.
November 26, 2012 05:44PM
I know noone else will answer the question but i will ambiguously state that I may or may not have Configurable USB Loader installed and it may or may not have been totally functional and working after the update.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login