Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A quick guide to restoring a Wii? (Removing Homebrew)

Posted by Grimslade 
A quick guide to restoring a Wii? (Removing Homebrew)
September 23, 2013 05:49AM
Hello.

I'm sure this has been asked before, but I was unable to find a thread in this site or others exactly relating to my own scenario.

Basically, I want to restore my Wii to its default factory (un-softmodded) settings. I've been trying to do this for awhile now and I've seemed to be unsuccessful in my different approaches.

My Wii is currently on System Menu 4.3. Using various methods, I've removed a lot of the homebrew that's been present, however, something new all ways comes up. I understand I probably won't be able to remove ALL traces of homebrew on my Wii, that would definately be ideal, but not feasible.

What I would like to achieve is downgrading my Wii, to 4.2/1 or even 3.x, and then re-updating my Wii officially through Nintendo's servers. So all my channels are up to date and such, officially, and with the least amount of homebrew trackable as possible.
I understand I could achieve this on my own through the use of homebrew apps, and I kind of have, but I don't 'feel' right about it. Whenever I go to update my Wii I get an error, rather than a 'system is up-to-date' or 'no new updates avaliable' message, I would like me Wii to be considered as 'normal' again.

If someone could tell me if that's possible, to downgrade my Wii and re-update officially, that would be fantastic. And if it's not too much to ask, could I get a quick guide of what apps I should run to achieve this?

If someone has a better solution in mind I'm happy to hear suggestions.
My main goal is to have as much homebrew taken off my Wii as possible and to have it up-to-date officially on Nintendo's servers with no 'funny business', if you will.

Thank you for reading.
I appreciate any help.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2013 05:51AM by Grimslade.
Re: A quick guide to restoring a Wii? (Removing Homebrew)
September 24, 2013 07:30AM
Not possible. Re-Homebrew and use Comex's NAND Formatter. I can't give specific instructions on how to use that, maybe someone else knows how to use it.
September 26, 2013 02:19PM
Just to clarify, are you talking about the idea of downgrading and re-updating? You say 'not possible' but I'm not 100% clear on what exactly you are referring to.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2013 02:31PM by Grimslade.
September 27, 2013 02:34AM
Grimslade
Just to clarify, are you talking about the idea of downgrading and re-updating? You say 'not possible' but I'm not 100% clear on what exactly you are referring to.

I'm referring to downgrading and updating. It's possible with HBC, but it's extremely risky if you don't know what to do. Comex's NAND Formatter is much safer.

EDIT: Wait, do you have Bootmii as boot2 or IOS?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/27/2013 02:36AM by JjStAr.
September 27, 2013 01:17PM
I no longer have bootmii installed (as I said I've been removing what I can), I believe I've had it installed through both in the past.
September 28, 2013 05:36PM
I have been given some aid and resolved the issue.

What I did was download the original IOS' using ModMii and replaced my old modified IOS' accordingly using Wad Manager. I then used anytitle deleter to remove my cIOS'. After doing that, a report from SysCheck showed that my IOS' were original again.

If anyone out there was looking to achieve the same thing I wanted. That is, to remove modification from your internal operating system. Let's say if you changed your IOS' to run backups and are now looking to reverse this process. I would recommend doing what I said above.

By the way, thanks for the info you gave me JjStAr. I appreciate it.
September 28, 2013 05:46PM
There would still be traces of any "non-official" channels you had installed, including HBC.
September 28, 2013 07:29PM
tueidj
There would still be traces of any "non-official" channels you had installed, including HBC.

I don't recall saying that there wouldn't be, I did say that would be ideal but also not feasible. I actually did a pretty big format which included whipping my play history a while back. Even with all of the history gone, I'm sure that there would still be some traces at some point too. But now I can say it's 99% clean. If for whatever reason someone was specifically trying to find out if my console had homebrew installed on it at one point, I don't think it would be extremely 'easy'; though I reckon they could if they looked hard enough.

That aside, if you're for some reason you're interested. My actual main goal was to have original IOS'. The idea of having custom channels doesn't bother me 'too' much. Though currently I'm avoiding it.
It was more the fact that I had quite a lot of IOS' with the Trucha Bug, downgraded and what not. Not being able to reverse that stuff was what was getting on my nerves.

It would be nice if someone did release some kind of 'Wii Restorer' one day; that is specifically designed to 'easily'
re-write IOS' and channels with originals, for those (obbsesive :P) people out there that change their minds. In my opinion, it's a little annoying that you can 'stain' your Wii, so to speak and no pun intended.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/28/2013 07:32PM by Grimslade.
September 28, 2013 07:58PM
Well there's no point in doing silly IOS patches and invasive mods like that in the first place. All you need for homebrew is the homebrew channel. Even pirates don't actually need half the stupid IOS patches every "softmod guide" insists are essential.
September 29, 2013 02:14AM
The reason I pointed it out is that Nintendo can (and will) still detect traces of homebrew if you need to send your wii in for repairs (and refuse to repair it), which is the primary reason most people attempt to "clean" their wiis so it's a bad idea to say "This is the recommended procedure for cleaning your wii" when it doesn't fully accomplish it. On the other hand using the NAND formatter or restoring a clean NAND dump will result in a fully clean wii, if done correctly.
September 29, 2013 06:18AM
SifJar
Well there's no point in doing silly IOS patches and invasive mods like that in the first place. All you need for homebrew is the homebrew channel. Even pirates don't actually need half the stupid IOS patches every "softmod guide" insists are essential.

Oh believe me I agree with you, hence me trying to remove it.

tueidj
The reason I pointed it out is that Nintendo can (and will) still detect traces of homebrew if you need to send your wii in for repairs (and refuse to repair it), which is the primary reason most people attempt to "clean" their wiis so it's a bad idea to say "This is the recommended procedure for cleaning your wii" when it doesn't fully accomplish it. On the other hand using the NAND formatter or restoring a clean NAND dump will result in a fully clean wii, if done correctly.

Ah, I see where you're coming from. No, no, I'm not planning on sending it back to Nintendo. Wii's these days are only worth $50 now (depending on the country you're in), so if I did have to send my Wii back for repairs then I would probably just buy a new one; the postage costs would probably be pretty high anyway.

The only reason I'm going to this trouble is for my own piece of mind. As SifJar stated above, it is silly having all of those unnecessary IOS' modifications.

Thanks for the information about the NAND formatter, I've heard a few people mention that and I'll remember it if I ever come across this type of scenario again.

Thanks again guys.
March 15, 2014 03:18AM
Hello,

I am hoping that someone can help me with my Wii issue. Here it is in a nutshell:

1) I hadn't used my Wii in well over a year.

2) I turned it on to find that someone installed something called Homebrew on my Wii.

2) Wii system memory was later formatted. Homebrew program no longer visible.

3) Attempted to update Wii software but it won't download (presumably because some modifications remain). It says I have v 4.1.

4) Tried playing a new game on disc but it won't play until I update.

3) When I press power and reset at the same time a grey screen for Priiloader v0.3b (r48M). It says Priiloader is a mod of Prelaoder 0.30. Clearly modifications remain.

My question is how do I get my Wii working again, so I can at least play games on Disc? Ideally I would like it back to the standard Wii with no modifications remaining, but would settle for any solution that works.

Keep in mind that I didn't install this in the first place, so I have no clue. Can someone provide a step by step guide (i.e. Wii modification removal for dummies)?

Thanks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login