Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Wifi SD cards

Posted by hockey1237 
Wifi SD cards
June 05, 2014 06:10PM
I've just started working with Homebrew and am already tired of going back and forth with the SD card from my Wii to my laptop. I've seen wifi SD cards that can transfer data via a wifi network, but in my research they all seem to be built for photography and only transferring photos and video from a digital camera. What I'm looking for is a way to access my SD card on my computer over a wifi network so I can add/delete files while it's still sitting in my Wii.

Does anyone know if I can use a wifi SD card in my Wii and then access it from my computer to transfer files? The only other thing I can think of to get this sort of result would be to work via USB instead of SD card and use a wireless external HD, but that would probably be overkill just for my Homebrew files.

Thanks for any help or thoughts on the subject!

UPDATE:

I've just discovered the SanDisk Connect wireless flash drive. It looks like I should be able to run Homebrew from the USB flash drive, and simultaneously connect to the flash drive from my laptop in order to update content, install apps, etc. from across the room.

I'm still looking for comments or thoughts on if this will actually work though.Will something like this wireless flash drive allow me to update my files from across the room while it's still plugged into my Wii?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/05/2014 09:18PM by hockey1237.
Re: Wifi SD cards
June 05, 2014 11:43PM
I would predict all sorts of problems occurring as the filesystem libraries for the wii do not expect the underlying files to be changed while they've got the drive mounted.
June 06, 2014 04:00PM
I came across an article on gizmodo this morning that talks about using the ftpii app to access the SD card and add media/apps from a computer without having to move the SD card back and forth.

Does anyone have any experience with ftpii?

That's a simple enough (and free) possible solution that I'm going to try later today. if it works out I'll post an update.
June 07, 2014 10:39AM
You can also use WiiXplorer using SMB.

Some wiibrew programs use tinysmb to support SMP protocol:

[wiibrew.org]

With these programs you can directly connect to your PC
March 11, 2015 08:07PM
hockey1237
I've just started working with Homebrew and am already tired of going back and forth with the SD card from my Wii to my laptop. I've seen wifi SD cards that can transfer data via a wifi network, but in my research they all seem to be built for photography and only transferring photos and video from a digital camera. What I'm looking for is a way to access my SD card on my computer over a wifi network so I can add/delete files while it's still sitting in my Wii.

Does anyone know if I can use a wifi SD card in my Wii and then access it from my computer to transfer files? The only other thing I can think of to get this sort of result would be to work via USB instead of SD card and use a wireless external HD, but that would probably be overkill just for my Homebrew files.

Thanks for any help or thoughts on the subject!

UPDATE:

I've just discovered the SanDisk Connect wireless flash drive. It looks like I should be able to run Homebrew from the USB flash drive, and simultaneously connect to the flash drive from my laptop in order to update content, install apps, etc. from across the room.

I'm still looking for comments or thoughts on if this will actually work though.Will something like this wireless flash drive allow me to update my files from across the room while it's still plugged into my Wii?
remember, if you do this ull prob have to turn off your fire wall on your pc to connect to your wii sd
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login