Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Messing with System menu resources using preloader

Posted by WiiCrazy 
Messing with System menu resources using preloader
January 25, 2009 09:14PM
Does this sound safe?

I want to create a program to edit bmg file (the file that have the multi language strings) for the system menu...

So let's say the whole resource file is in the X. position in the tmd,

1. So I transfer the modified resource file to the system menu title directory using ftpii with a different index (I never tried but it allows I guess)
2. Get a backup of the system menu tmd
3. Change the tmd of system menu to use the modified resource (just change one byte to change the index of the resource)... and if needed length of the resource
4. Copy the tmd and modified resource over to the wii

Now say I f**ked up something.. I can boot into hbc and transfer the backup tmd so that it sees the normal resource file

Does this sound safe and applicable?

Since I will not be doing any content installation but just direct isfs writes I guess hash checks will not be problem, only size of the resource content can change and I can reflect the change to the tmd I guess... Any objections?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2009 09:15PM by WiiCrazy.
Re: Messing with System menu resources using preloader
January 25, 2009 09:16PM
Just make sure you don't screw up the TMD.
January 25, 2009 09:23PM
Hmm, I just tried sending a simple txt file to the tmp folder and ftpii rejected uploading it...
Guess I need to write a program to do the job... wiifuse stuff is not an option at the moment...
January 27, 2009 05:28AM
Why not just write a program to overwrite a certain content in NAND?
January 27, 2009 06:41PM
By the way tmd approach now seems to me a little bit more risky since preloader also should be relying on that small file to be booted... anyways... I'll start by something that have nearly zero risk.. will try to change the language set in wiifit channel... and by that time at least I can get the small bmg modification tool handy...
January 28, 2009 12:11AM
Really, it's probably safer just to modify the existing menu resources, no alternate uploads involved. You're fine as long as you can boot homebrew.
January 28, 2009 12:46AM
which you can if you dump the sysmenu yourself with preloader installed. Then you can edit rescources with no danger.
January 28, 2009 08:55AM
Well I know it's not much risky actually, the real reason is I can't find the multilanguage bmg file at the moment... all I can find is the ipl_common.bmg which contains only spanish text... and most of the multilanguage stuff (menu html&css&gif) there is in the ipl_settings.ash which are compressed with a strange lz77 compression... Really no reason to just change the bmg to make it support another language...
Any clue as to what decompressor could be used on those html&css&gif blah blah stuff?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login