Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mega Merged Nyko Wii Wing Discussion Thread

Posted by Arikado 
Mega Merged Nyko Wii Wing Discussion Thread
January 29, 2009 03:55PM
All discussion about the Nyko Wii Wing Controller here please.
Nyko Wii wing doesn't work with HBC!???
January 06, 2009 03:55PM
I just bought the new nyko wing, a wii classic controller altenative, only to find out now that it won't work with HBC. It functions fine with wii discs, VC and wiiware games but as soon as I start up the HBC the sync light on the wireless dongle goes off and the sync light on the controller goes into search mode.

It's such a disappointment as homebrew was the only reason I decided to shell out cash for a classic and saw this and it looked better to me.

I'm just looking for any info or insight as to why this is happening and if anyone knows of a fix.
Re: Nyko Wii wing doesn't work with HBC!???
January 19, 2009 02:41AM
I've been searching for a couple of weeks now, and as far as I can tell, there is no fix. This is a shame, because the Wing is an absolutely fantastic controller designed for just this sort of thing. It works WONDERFULLY with VC games. It's comfortable, has a good d-pad, and I don't have to deal with a ludicrous cord that comes out the BOTTOM of the controller.

There is a bug report posted here. I'm hoping and praying they manage to fix this problem as soon as possible. I love HBC, but I STILL don't have a controller that feels right for it.
January 20, 2009 04:00AM
This probably won't get fixed until one of us gets ahold of one of these controllers.
January 22, 2009 10:11PM
I kinda figured that, but if I can save one person from the grief of buying this controller mainly for homebrew games only to find that it doesn't work in the HBC, then I'm happy.

Also just wanted to get the info out there to the community so that a future fix may eventually arise.
January 22, 2009 10:45PM
bushing
This probably won't get fixed until one of us gets ahold of one of these controllers.

meaty0025, you should send him yours !
January 25, 2009 03:18PM
I have a similar problem with the datel retro wireless controller. it has a power button under the home button, a red led to show connection under that and a sync button on the back.i can use it to play like the official one but the homebrew channel doesn't recoginise it. the red led stays on on the homebrew apps and HBC. can someone fix this?
January 26, 2009 04:06PM
yea...um....i don't think that'll work out too well......for one thing I still use it on the "channel" games and also I live in the caribbean and mail to the states usually takes about a month....so i'm looking at at least a few months without it......and lastly (and no offence bushing) I don't know him ;) 0_0
January 26, 2009 08:14PM
I'm in UK and bro uses the CC it for mario kart (only 2 wiimotes) so that wont help either. i'll take some pictures if it helps.
January 29, 2009 02:33PM
I don't know if this will help at all, but it seems, from an external point of view, that the problem is that the Wiimote stops channeling power through the connector when in the HBC. There is a light on the wireless dongle, and it just shuts off immediately upon entering the HBC environment. In any other case, as soon as the Wii turns on, this light starts blinking, trying to sync with its mate. Even if it never syncs, I NEVER see the light turn off. The only time I've ever seen the light turn off is in the HBC. This would also sort of follow, since other wireless accessories (like the wireless nunchuck and the datel controller mentioned above) are also having issues.

As for sending my controller off, well, the thing was honestly pretty expensive for a third-party controller. Given the economy, I'm not too well off and, if it's not going to work, I'd like to have the opportunity to try to sell it and buy something different. However, if you need any information, or if there's anything you want me to try, hit me up, and I'll do everything I can to help. If there's a chance a fix might come in the future, and I can help bring it about, I'll hold onto the damn thing.
January 29, 2009 03:45PM
Yeah, dont worry about sending it off. I may be picking up one thses things soon, so I'll see what I can do about it.

Anyways, It's interesting what you said about the light. My (obvious) guess is that wireless attachment registers a different expansion code than the one we use for the classic controller right now. If you could maybe upload a video of how it works normally vs how it works when you turn on the HBC, it may help us to understand that light you're talking about just a little bit better. Similaly, if you're confident enough to open it up and take some pictures and/or a video of the insides, that may or may not help as well. Either way, it would be very interesting.
Nyko wireless classic controller not working w/ homebrew channel
December 10, 2008 09:41PM
I purchased a wireless classic style wii controller from Nyko to use on my wii with the home emulators. The controller functions fine in the wii menu but when I launch the HomeBrew channel the LED on the base, that attaches to the wiimote shuts off the controller loses sync. Nothing brings it back except exiting the HomeBrew channel and returning the system menu. Launching a homebrew app doesn't make a difference, I tried with the emulators snes9x and wii64. Resitting the connector in the bottom of wiimote makes no difference. I have system menu 3.3U installed (out of the box), a wiikey2 drivechip, and Homebrew channel v1.1. Thanks for all of the developers, packagers, and hosters for making this possible.

It seems like it may be a bug in the HomeBrew channel? Does anyone else have any experiences with this Nyko wireless classic controller? Can anyone confirm that the official classic controller works with the above setup?

Thank you.
Re: Nyko wireless classic controller not working w/ homebrew channel
December 11, 2008 08:14PM
Wow, that looks like an uncomfortable controller (not to mention it's ugly). Not to rain on your parade or anything, but the official classic controller is pretty much perfect, with the exception that it's tied to the Wiimote.

I rarely trust unofficial controllers in the first place. They're almost always worse than the original. I mean, I used to use a Barracuda controller for the original Playstation that worked remarkably well and even let you remap the buttons and control sticks... but the design was horrendus. It was difficult to hold. I believe part of the reason so many third-party controller designs are so bad are because of patents and such... it's rare to find one that feels right.

Sorry about the tangent there. I can't really help you on this, but I suspect it would be easy to support third-party and non-standard controllers through homebrew means. Just make sure the developers are aware of the issues you're having.
December 15, 2008 05:08PM
Thanks for the reply, I posted a bug report here.
January 29, 2009 02:40PM
mia -

we're having a discussion about this issue over here if you'd like to come join us.

jarvolt -

the nintendo classic controller is garbage in design. the totally round edges are not ergonomic at all, the analog sticks are in an uncomfortable position and get in the way if you're not using them, and they could have at LEAST had the cord come out of the top. controllers with bottom mounted cords are so incredibly annoying. that was the only thing I didn't like about the dreamcast.

meanwhile, the wing is light, comfortable, power efficient, and has a fabulous d-pad. frankly, you're right, it's ugly. but it's a game controller. who cares what is LOOKS like?
January 31, 2009 05:55AM
Arikado
Yeah, dont worry about sending it off. I may be picking up one thses things soon, so I'll see what I can do about it.

Anyways, It's interesting what you said about the light. My (obvious) guess is that wireless attachment registers a different expansion code than the one we use for the classic controller right now. If you could maybe upload a video of how it works normally vs how it works when you turn on the HBC, it may help us to understand that light you're talking about just a little bit better. Similaly, if you're confident enough to open it up and take some pictures and/or a video of the insides, that may or may not help as well. Either way, it would be very interesting.

Hey, my business is having kind of a busy time right now, but I'll try to get that video of the light taken for you in the next few days. It'll have to be a crappy webcam vid though, since that's all I have.

Additionally, I'm actually fairly comfortable with taking things apart generally, and I would gladly take the controller apart if you thought it would help. I just looked at the dongle, though, and as far as I can tell it's one solid piece of plastic. I don't see any screws or hinges anywhere.
Re: Mega Merged Nyko Wii Wing Discussion Thread
January 31, 2009 04:48PM
While, again, I dont want you to break you're controller or anything. So only do it if you're 100% sure you know what you're doing. I cant guarantee wether or not some pictures and/or videos would help anyone, but at the very least I'm sure it would be very interesting.
July 10, 2009 11:55PM
Has there been any update on this issue? I picked up the pack that included the wired Wing and wired Kama (nunchuck replacement) today. The Kama works fine with everything I've tried, but the Wing does not. It's really a shame, since the official classic controller is too small for my hands.

Edit: Just to clarify, I'm more asking if anyone is working on this. Should I hold out hope, or return it while I have the chance?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/11/2009 12:43AM by raptir.
July 23, 2009 10:17PM
i got the same issue with my third party classic controller.
it's not wireless tho.

are there any news on getting third party controllers working?
Re: Mega Merged Nyko Wii Wing Discussion Thread
July 23, 2009 11:09PM
Elfish: Would you please post the same link to the picture you showed me in the IRC of your third party classic controller? Perhaps someone could help us identify it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login