Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

VNC Viewer possible (not web-based)?

Posted by buddypepper 
VNC Viewer possible (not web-based)?
February 06, 2009 01:39AM
Would it be possible for someone to port VNC Viewer to run on the Wii? I realize that you could connect via the internet channel, with the coreect settings, but a native VNC client would be way cooler - maybe with some sort of virtual keyboard.....any takers?
Re: VNC Viewer possible (not web-based)?
February 17, 2009 06:58AM
buddypepper
Would it be possible for someone to port VNC Viewer to run on the Wii? I realize that you could connect via the internet channel, with the coreect settings, but a native VNC client would be way cooler - maybe with some sort of virtual keyboard.....any takers?
Sounds fun, however I dont know if the networks would be compatible, I'm sure they are but you might have to do something with SAMBA. What exactly are you trying to do, connect to the wii, or connect from the wii?
February 17, 2009 09:15AM
Yes, possible and not to difficult to port. If your after a VNC server then you'd need a way to capture the wii's screen which I don't believe is possible right now.

ninjafish1990 - VNC uses a port and would be handled by the TCP layer, no need to worry about compatibility there.

Also I suggested this under this thread - [forum.wiibrew.org]

I may actually attempt coding this but right now my hands are full with WiiRadio and a game I'm working on.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2009 09:17AM by scanff.
February 17, 2009 06:39PM
scanff
Yes, possible and not to difficult to port. If your after a VNC server then you'd need a way to capture the wii's screen which I don't believe is possible right now.

ninjafish1990 - VNC uses a port and would be handled by the TCP layer, no need to worry about compatibility there.

Also I suggested this under this thread - [forum.wiibrew.org]

I may actually attempt coding this but right now my hands are full with WiiRadio and a game I'm working on.

Is this to connect to Wii via RDP from a PC?
February 17, 2009 06:48PM
You could configure it to connect via whatever tcp port you wanted. I think 5900 is default. But this is viewing a computer on the Wii. and not the other (I can't think of a way to capture the screen of the Wii).
February 17, 2009 10:03PM
scanff
You could configure it to connect via whatever tcp port you wanted. I think 5900 is default. But this is viewing a computer on the Wii. and not the other (I can't think of a way to capture the screen of the Wii).
That was my first question, with regaurds to connection. Why would you want to access your computer from your wii? Wouldn't it be more beneficial to access your wii from your computer?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2009 10:06PM by ninjafish1990.
February 17, 2009 10:29PM
Don't think its possible. Firstly like I said I can't think of a way to capture the screen. Secondly, The application would need to run in the background and allow you to continue playing games or doing whatever on the Wii.
February 17, 2009 11:02PM
scanff
Don't think its possible. Firstly like I said I can't think of a way to capture the screen. Secondly, The application would need to run in the background and allow you to continue playing games or doing whatever on the Wii.

I am still trying to find the purpose for such an application..
February 18, 2009 01:46AM
no use. but just because it would be interesting. (to me at least).
February 18, 2009 03:48AM
ninjafish1990
scanff

the idea was birthed when someone wanted to actually install windows on the wii! haha...so this is the best we can do.
February 18, 2009 05:46AM
DrLucky
ninjafish1990
scanff

the idea was birthed when someone wanted to actually install windows on the wii! haha...so this is the best we can do.
Hopefully they weren't referring to Vista, Xpo would be ok, but XP is on everything, (i.e. phones and such). And mac would be a joke, and Linux is already been ported...so...it would be cool to have some remote "desktop" apps, but the only thing I could see use from PC to Wii would be to manage the wii which might be easier to do on the wii, or to Semi-emulate the wii. From wii to PC to try to emulater pc on the wii, which wouldnt allow for much due to the specs of the wii, or to have free internet channel aka firefox on the wii.
February 18, 2009 06:07AM
hummm ... Yeah It's the ultimate in laziness connecting to your computer from the wii so you can browse the net or play a game from the couch. But what the heck I wrote a simple remote desktop client/server some years back I guess I'll port the client to Wii just for fun. Bandwidth maybe an issue when running a game but if we keep the windows box running at 640x480 getting a decent frame rate on your Wii maybe possible. Of course it would not follow the real VNC protocol but I find VNC is very slow away.

I'll let you know when I have something.
February 18, 2009 06:20AM
scanff
hummm ... Yeah It's the ultimate in laziness connecting to your computer from the wii so you can browse the net or play a game from the couch. But what the heck I wrote a simple remote desktop client/server some years back I guess I'll port the client to Wii just for fun. Bandwidth maybe an issue when running a game but if we keep the windows box running at 640x480 getting a decent frame rate on your Wii maybe possible. Of course it would not follow the real VNC protocol but I find VNC is very slow away.

I'll let you know when I have something.
It took me FOREVER to find an amazing vnc client, the beset part was it is only a server, there is not client version, you can connect to any computer you can browse to. Our admins used to use it at school so we disabled remote desktop and they still connected, so i dont know what it runs off of.. The only catch is you must be an admin (of a domain)(hence the need for a server at my house)
February 18, 2009 03:18PM
I'm talking a client (aka viewer) - there's not much use to have a vnc server on your Wii.....but being able to run a client would be usefull, for sure. It's certainly not just academic.....a server would be academic, but not a client app.
March 02, 2009 09:02AM
Just like to update all who are interested. I've gotten a remote viewer working Wii -> PC. I'm currently making it stable and fixing some of the bugs with WiiMote mapping to the mouse. I've set up a page on the Wiki so if you're interested you can keep track of the development. - [wiibrew.org]
March 02, 2009 02:43PM
I am interested...If you need a beta tester, let me know.
March 03, 2009 05:14PM
That's pretty awesome! I'm looking forward to this...

You can have a hundred of weird threads, but at least one will gave birth to a magic idea... Ok, that was lame.
March 04, 2009 02:43PM
The Wiki says it will connect to a windows box running the win2wii server - Is this not going to work with the standard (and free/opensource) vnc server? Or is the win2wii server just going to be a vnc server with another name? I'm afraid if it doesn't work with VNC Server, it's going to be of no use to me - though maybe someone would be able to use your work to port an actual VNC Client though....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login