Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bricked!!!

Posted by Dragonsclaw 
Bricked!!!
March 21, 2009 03:23PM
This is what has happened:

I downgraded my wii to 2.xe
Everything was working fine; I could access the system menu and it was like normal.
Later on I decided to re-upgrade my wii so I could use the normal (official, nintendo) disc loading channel. I put in a copy of Mario Kart PAL, at which point I was asked to upgrade. I did this, and it said "Upgrade complete" (or something like that), and when it was supposed to return to the wii menu it went black. I had to turn off the wii. However, upon rebooting, the wii, although allowed turning on via the wii remotes, would not connect to them, and the screen went completely black (no opera screen). It accepts discs but the screen is always black. I know that I did not get rid of IOS30.

Any ideas on unbricking? Can savemii save me?
Re: Bricked!!!
March 21, 2009 03:30PM
Thats a really wierd way to brick your Wii. Its a well known fact that most homebrew isnt compatible with firmware that low. Why did you downgrade that low anyway?
March 21, 2009 03:55PM
I was trying to get the Backup launcher to work, because the custom IOS installer didn't work. I thought it might be the firmware of the wii, so I downgraded. 3.x didn't work, so I downgraded further. BTW the homebrew channel still ran fine on version 2.x, as did the apps I used on it (other than the backup launcher).
March 21, 2009 04:12PM
Well, I believe the twilight hack doesnt work on firmware that low. Also, please dont talk about the backup launcher here. Its against our forum rules.
March 21, 2009 04:48PM
Sorry about that. But the homebrew channel was not removed before I downgraded, and remained afterwards when I used the 2.x version.
March 21, 2009 05:12PM
Just to clarify, the twilight hack and HBC are 2 completely different beasts.

Now then, have you tried savemii/savemiifrii?
March 21, 2009 05:31PM
Not yet, no.
March 21, 2009 05:38PM
I haven't got a gamecube controller and I want to make sure that the savemii will actually work on my machine before I go and buy one. Everyone else seems to be getting the opera screen, so I wasn't sure on what to do next
March 21, 2009 09:58PM
Dragonsclaw
I haven't got a gamecube controller and I want to make sure that the savemii will actually work on my machine before I go and buy one. Everyone else seems to be getting the opera screen, so I wasn't sure on what to do next

try going to a used videogame store and buy an off brand used one...you will have to "break" it to use savemiifrii anyway..
it's worth the shot!
March 22, 2009 01:34PM
Thanks for the help. I'll try savemiifrii. I have looked around and apparently if your firmware is 2.x, instead of 3.x, then when you use savemii you won't be able to see the firmware version in the bottom right of the screen. I understand that you press the up, down, right and left on the GC controller d-pad, but do you have to wait a certain time before inserting a disk? Only I'll not know that it's working until the system checks the regions and the writing comes onscreen there.
March 22, 2009 03:46PM
I believe that you have to press up, down, left, and right all at the same time, so you will have to take apart the controller.
and then you would insert a game disc to upgrade with.

If you did successfully upgrade to 3.x with mariokart, then it will display your FW number.
Anonymous User
March 22, 2009 07:05PM
DrLucky
so you will have to take apart the controller

No you dont. Theres a youtube video where a guy holds down all the buttons without opening the controller and turns it on. Ill link the video once i find it.
Anonymous User
March 22, 2009 07:18PM
My link doesnt work
Search recover your wii with GC controller on youtube.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2009 07:20PM by thenewguy.
March 22, 2009 07:39PM
thenewguy
DrLucky

No you dont. Theres a youtube video where a guy holds down all the buttons without opening the controller and turns it on. Ill link the video once i find it.
Unless you have a weird looking third party controller you have to take apart the controller. With that in mind, even a gamecube Dance Pad will work.
March 22, 2009 07:48PM
I'm guessing the guy in the video did it with the pin already removed from the controller.
Anonymous User
March 22, 2009 08:52PM
Arikado
thenewguy
DrLucky

Unless you have a weird looking third party controller you have to take apart the controller. With that in mind, even a gamecube Dance Pad will work.

Cant you just hold down the center of the d-pad? The guy in the video held down all buttons of the dpad easily.
March 22, 2009 08:54PM
thenewguy
Arikado
thenewguy
DrLucky

Cant you just hold down the center of the d-pad? The guy in the video held down all buttons of the dpad easily.
No. The guy in the video used a third party controller and not an official nintendo one. If you have an official one, you will see that it is impossible to do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/2009 08:54PM by Arikado.
Anonymous User
March 22, 2009 08:56PM
DrLucky
I'm guessing the guy in the video did it with the pin already removed from the controller.

The title of the video is:
Recover your wii with a GC controller
Google that up and click the www.youtube.com/watch... one. I cant copy and paste the link because im using the internet channel
March 22, 2009 10:13PM
Thanks.
Anonymous User
March 22, 2009 11:42PM
Arikado- Rather he was using a offical or 3rd party GC controller doesnt make a huge difference. At least i can use my old gc controller to help unbrick my wii incase it bricks (hopefully never does).

Dragonsclaw- I think you would be better off with a gc controller. Its probaly cheaper then a savemiifrii.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login