Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Black screen, low lvl failure (i think)

Posted by mikeman61 
Black screen, low lvl failure (i think)
July 31, 2009 09:48AM
Hello thar, I modded a Japanese wii for a Japanese friend in Australia. All went well until our friend blew it up not using a power adapter. Nintendo sent out a replacement wii for roughly $200AUD. So I was asked to mod this one. It came with 4.1J firmware. I then followed this guide like a bible: GBA Fail link removed After following all those steps exactly I was left with a soft modded wii with preloader installed and have a backup of the NAND. I then stupidly decided to run Waninkoko's downgrader to get back to 3.2J. The wii froze up when the program printed "Restarting wii..." And from then on the wii only displays a black screen, it reads discs and can be turned on but not off by a wiimote. This should be a common type of brick, except i ran the downgrader :/ Turning the wii on and holding the reset button does nothing and ive had no luck with the SavemiiFrii technique. Any ideas? Nintendo offers replacement wiis for $250AUD and the SaveMii device is about $54AUD. Do you think SaveMii will work in my case? sorry for long post, thanks in advance

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2009 10:57PM by Arikado.
Re: Black screen, low lvl failure (i think)
July 31, 2009 10:07PM
Have you checked out SaveMii(frii)? it works with a gamecube controller instead of having to purchase the savemii card. Google it and save 50 bucks!
July 31, 2009 10:56PM
GBAFail is not a good thing to call a bible. It's more like the script for Amityville Horror.

Regarding downgrading, you do know that all homebrew will work just fine on 4.1 so there's no need to downgrade. You do know that right?

As for what you can do, I can't honestly think of anything to do in your situation accept apologize to your Japanese customer and give him his money back. AFAIK, I don't think SaveMii(frii) will not work in your situation, but there's no reason not to try. SaveMiiFrii is free after all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/31/2009 10:57PM by Arikado.
August 01, 2009 08:45AM
I did try the SaveMiiFree technique, i had no luck with it. I couldnt get it to work on my wii which is in working order either. Must you crack open the GC remote? thanks for replies anyway. :]
August 01, 2009 11:44AM
Yes. There is a "tab" under the d-pad which must be removed to allow you to press in all directions. Some third party controllers dont have this tab, and allow you to press all directions, but all first party and some third party ones do. Open it up and remove it, then put it back together and it should work.
August 02, 2009 07:47AM
I have purchased a triwing screwdriver for about $11AUD inc postage :] Ill post again after i attempt bootmiifrii properly. Untill then, cya

Edit: So my tri-wing screw driver arrived, I cracked open a GC controller. Unfortunately it did not work. I tested the method on my working wii and it popped up my firmware in the bottom right. So the controller is working fine. The jap wii still shows only a black screen. What is the next thing to try, you excellent people? A helpful Nintendo guy told me on the phone that no matter the (physical) state or region of the wii they send out a replacement for the set price of $250AUD (i think it was)
*ponders*... Maybe i should drown the wii before i send it in? ...just a thought

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2009 11:35AM by mikeman61.
August 05, 2009 08:28AM
*bump* ^new info^
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login