Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Banner Brick- What do I need to buy, exactly?

Posted by Rhetoric 
Banner Brick- What do I need to buy, exactly?
August 11, 2009 08:32PM
I recently Banner Bricked my wii when trying to install a custom channel for Wii Radio.

What happens when your Wii boots up? (How far it gets, does the wiimote work, does the system freeze, go black, etc.)
Gets to the Health Menu, then freezes.

What Version of the System Menu is installed on the Wii?
4.0U, but with a "safe update" so files are "trucha patched".

Is the Homebrew Channel or the Twilight Hack installed on the system?
HBC is installed, Twilight Hack is not.

Does your Wii have a Drivechip?
No, I need help with recommendations on which one I should buy. I have no idea what to look for exactly.

Have you been able to boot homebrew in any way?
No, but I can boot Wii discs through holding Y on my GCN controller, because I have StartPatch installed.
Re: Banner Brick- What do I need to buy, exactly?
August 11, 2009 08:49PM
Good. Any modchip/drivechip (same thing really) will do. Simply Installing it, then running a custom Anytitledeleter Disc and deleting the custom channel will do. Alternatively, running a custom Was uinstaller disc and uninstalling the wad you used. (we'll get to making a custom disc when you get a modchip.) Wiibrew doesn't really reccommend any chips, but Infectus is a very good chip for purposes other that "backups".
August 11, 2009 11:41PM
You dont happen to have BootMii as boot2 or preloader do you? If so, you may be able to do it without a chip.
August 11, 2009 11:52PM
Unfortunately, while I was planning on installing BootMii at some point (after reading into how it works a bit more), I never got around to it. Definitely kicking myself for that, but what's done is done. As soon as I find a good Mod Chip (I don't want to spend too much on something I'm going to be using a total of one time) I'll be sure to install it ASAP.
August 12, 2009 12:00AM
infectus has other uses, besides backups, as said above, so I'd advise it. It can flash NAND and stuff, so if you brick again, you can flash bootmii onto NAND, or just flash a NAND dump. and it can do other things I think, but I'm not really sure what exactly.
August 12, 2009 01:27AM
Okay, I'll look into the "Infectus" brand, then. I have a few more questions though:

-Exactly how many blank discs am I gonna need for this?

-Do the discs have to be any specific brand or format, or will any disc with enough space do?

-I just want to delete the bad WAD. I assume this means none of my other data on my Wii's hard drive is going to be erased, right?

-Are there any chips out there I may wind up buying that won't help me with what I want to do? I'm really new to the whole modchip thing, so I'm worried I'll make such a mistake. Any specific feature I need to look for? I also really don't want to have to do any soldering if I can help it, so I found this particular chip:

Solderless Wii Mod Chip

Should this thing work okay?

Thanks again, guys.
August 12, 2009 10:28AM
You should only need one blank DVD, I don't think it matters too much what brand, but get a decent brand, like Veritam or something. And yes that chip should work fine. And you won't have to delete anything other than the WAD. You just need to find a WAD Manager autoboot disc iso online, download it, burn it to disc, boot wii holding Y, insert disc. Then WAD Manager will start, just scroll to the WAD you installed (which must still be on your SD card) and press minus (-). Then turn off the Wii, restart and you'll be back to normal.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login