Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Failed softmod --> dead wiimotes - Help please!

Posted by wiinumpty 
Failed softmod --> dead wiimotes - Help please!
September 06, 2009 09:24AM
Hi guys,

I am really hoping someone out there can help me out a bit. I had a look through the forums and couldn't find anything quite the same so hopefully this isn't a repeated post.

I got about 80% of my way through softmodding my wii using this guide - Illegal link removed

I got to part 12 with no major probs.

At step 12 I got an error saying ‘Could not load hacks.ini from SD card’ or something to that effect when clicking on systemmenu hacks.

I had a SDHC card in an adapter which I later found out was problematic so fast forward 24hrs and I have a standard SD card to try out and I go to my wii to load but it had been powered down.

Oh crap.

Now when I turn it on I get the safety ‘press a to continue’ screen but my wiimote(s) are completely non responsive – no blue lights or anything. I have tried holding down the sync button on the wii for 5 seconds then pressing the same on the remote and nothing happens. After a few minutes though the 'press a to continue' screen goes away and it will go to the main page - the controllers still won't work.

Please tell me this can be fixed?

Any and all advice most greatfully accepted.

Oh other details if needed:

System Menu - 4.1E

Installed: Homebrew Channel (per setup guide)

Model: LAH1163

Many thanks in advance

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2009 10:18PM by Arikado.
Re: Failed softmod --> dead wiimotes - Help please!
September 06, 2009 02:29PM
First off, remove that link as it has a few illegal wads... Second, Can you get to the preloader screen? Try to press the power and reset buttons when you turn it on.
September 07, 2009 12:17AM
Sorry about that guys, I was just trying to give a bit of context to my problem and didn't think about the resources link at the end.

Yes I can get the preloader screen, except as you'd imagine I have no control over it. I'm getting a gamecube controller today to see if that works.

Update: I have a gamecube controller and it works in the preloader screen (yay!). So presumably I need to reload the bluetooth drivers to hopefully get things back and kicking? Again any advice would be much appreciated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2009 11:07AM by wiinumpty.
September 07, 2009 08:14PM
Hmm, my advice would be to try and load dop-IOS MOD either by installing it to preloader then selecting run installed dol file, or by loading HBC and running it from there. Once you have done this, install IOS60, and try restarting the Wii.

If it still doesnt work, run dop-IOS MOD again, and install IOS61, then you need to get NUSD on your computer and download a WAD of System Menu 4.1E with it, then install it with WAD Manager.

After that is done, it should definetly work.

EDIT: Just remembered, dop-IOS MOD doesnt work with GC controller (yet), so you'll need to download IOS60 and IOS61 with NUSD as well, and install them with WAD Manager. Install the two IOS first, then the System Menu. Hopefully that should work. There's a version of WAD Manager which supports GC controllers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/07/2009 08:15PM by SifJar.
September 08, 2009 04:32AM
Hi there, thanks very much for your help.

Not to sound like a broken record but can I just make sure I've got this right before I give it a shot. If its not completely obvious I'm very new to mod'ing wii's :-)

1. Get NUSD

2. Download and create seperate WADs for -
IOS60 (Title: 000000010000003C ver: 6174)
IOS61 (Titel: 000000010000003D ver: 4890)
System Menu 4.1E (Title: 0000000100000002 ver: 450)

3. Get a GC controller friendly copy of Wad Manager (wiininja's one on GBATemp do the job?) and put this along with the WADs from step 2 onto a SD Card.

4. Install wad manager via the preloader screen (ask a stupid question, but how?)

5. Run wad manager (again, how?) and install ISO60, then IOS61, then System Menu 4.1E (is a reboot required between each one?)
edit: not quite sure why I need to put System Menu 4.1E back on, once getting past the 'A' screen it appears okay?

6. Cross fingers & hopefully come back here with copious amounts of gratitude.

7. Chuck bootmii on and take a backup.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/08/2009 04:34AM by wiinumpty.
September 08, 2009 05:34AM
on the preloader screen theres an option to install a file(i think, havent cheked in a while)
then at the top theres an option to load installed app
September 08, 2009 06:07AM
Yes there is an option to load/install a file as well as a link to 'installed file'

I was just wanting to confirm the file I want to install then load is wad-manager-1.4.mod2.dol (opposed to wad-manager-1.4.mod2.elf or the more generic boot.dol).

Also, what IOS should wad manager run off in the preinstaller?

Cheers
September 08, 2009 08:14AM
any IOS should work, but if 249 is on there that should do the trick.
September 08, 2009 08:54AM
Fixed :-D

Thanks for your help guys & big kudos to Yossi & Galaxy| from #wiihelp as well.

Fix in the end was to use GC Controller to get geckos launching a game which then got the controllers back up.

Then per SifJar's advice reload IOS60, I had to reload Sysmenu 4.1E as well but all back and kicking.

Cheers guys
September 08, 2009 07:23PM
Glad you got it fixed. Now stay away from "softmods".
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login