Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[SOLVED] Black Screen after BootMii boot2: Brick or Bluetooth?

Posted by TomMii 
[SOLVED] Black Screen after BootMii boot2: Brick or Bluetooth?
December 10, 2009 12:26PM
Hi all,

I recently bricked my wii, but I'm still unsure wether this is caused by messing with the software or if it's hardware (bluetooth) problem. Here's what happened:

My System menu is 3.4E. Using the HackMii installer v0.6 I installed BootMii IOS and boot2, HBC, and DVDX. It installed fine. Then i immediately resetted the wii, entered BootMii from boot2 and grabbed a nand image.

After that I couldn't boot to the system menu anymore.
The screen just stays black regardless of the sd card inserted or not. No Health Warning, no "press a", nothing. After some time, the blue led in the drive bay starts to flash slowly and constantly.

However, entering the Homebrew channel from boot2 seems to be working.
Tried several approaches to fix this: dop_IOS, manually installing system menu using wadImport. I even tried to format the nand using comex nand formatter + installation of neccessary wads, but the screen still stays black.

Fortunately I can write back the nand image and at least access the homebrew channel.

Don't know wether this is normal, but I noticed that my wiimotes did not sync anymore:
I cannot turn on the wii using the power button on the wii motes. When I try to sync the blue leds on the wiimote just flash for some seconds and nothing happens.

I started geexbox (MINI) from bootmii and looked if the wiimotes are working in there, but nothing.

Maybe someone could answer my questions to help me finding the problem:
Are the wiimotes supposed to work on geexbox (MINI)?
I can see the wiimotes via bluetooth on my laptop, but I don't see some bluetooth device for the wii itself. Is this normal or should I see a bluetooth device for the wii itself if bt is ok?
Is there anything else I can do to find out wether this is a brick or a bluetooth problem?

The reason I'm asking these questions is that I'm still quite sceptical that it's a hardware issue.
Before installing BootMii everything was fine (i never opened my wii or modded it besides installing HBC), and immediately after installation i was not able to boot anymore.

I would appreciate any help to get it working again.

Thanks,
Tom

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2009 12:55AM by TomMii.
Re: Black Screen after BootMii boot2: Brick or Bluetooth?
December 10, 2009 07:08PM
if your remotes dont sync, it could be a problem with settings.txt. dont really know much about that though, i think an app called "setting_replace" may help you.
December 11, 2009 12:31PM
Hi SifJar,

thanks very much for your help.
Unfortunately the tool has no support for the gamecube controller currently.
I'll try to add gc controller support and compile it when I'm back home.
But I'm not quite sure if I can compile it as the sources seem to be missing some dat file (certs.dat, mega_su_tmd.dat, mega_su_tik.dat)

Regards,
Tom
December 11, 2009 08:09PM
Did you look at setting_replace MOD? I believe it has GC controller support, without you needing to recompile.
December 11, 2009 10:55PM
Thanks for the info. This one worked with the gc controller (though I had to install some cIOS 249 to run it).

Unfortunately this didn't fix the brick. Wiimotes are still not syncing.

I think I now replaced almost every piece of the software, from formatting nand to setting.txt - right?
So, could it be the bluetooth module?

*Should* the wiimotes be able to sync when I cannot even reach the health warning screen?
Can someone confirm that the wiimotes work in Geexbox (Mini) booted from boot2?

Regards,
Tom
December 11, 2009 11:21PM
If it was bluetooth module, there would be no video output, even in HBC or BootMii afaik. This is quite puzzling. Are you sure NAND formatter worked right? Do you have a USBGecko to monitor output with?
December 12, 2009 12:58AM
I'm quite sure the nand formatter worked, because hbc was gone after formatting and when reflashing the nand from backup there were a lot of blocks written. However, the observed behaviour didn't change. Unfortunately I don't own a USBGecko.

Maybe I'll try opening the wii and removing the bt module tomorrow, but I don't have a tri-wing screwdriver so I have to wing it.

Are you sure about the video output?
Could someone maybe try if the wii bt module is visible on a laptop or similar when switched off?
December 12, 2009 01:12AM
Fyi - I just tried launching a game disc from WiiMu. Same behaviour here - black screen (although the dvd seems to keep spinning)
December 12, 2009 11:34AM
sounds like you could be missing some ios. use nusd to download an ios60 and system menu 4.1 wad for your region and install. i think your nand was formatted by comex's app, but the wads weren't installed
December 13, 2009 06:01PM
Still no luck. Downloaded IOS60 ( v6174 ) as well as System Menu 4.1 ( v450) as well as eula ( v2 ) and rgnsel ( v2 ) wads.

Seems like wads installed correctly. System Menu 4.1E shows up in BootMii info. Tried it several times with Nand formatter.
As this didn't work i reinstalled my nand backup and tried in on my original installation, which also didn't work.

btw: Drive Bay LED flashing seems to be gone with formatted nand, so this might be just an announcement of a system message or something.

Is it possible that there's something wrong with bootmii's bootup code?
December 13, 2009 08:46PM
Update: Just noticed that I can actually start the Wii's rescue mode by pressing all four d-pad buttons on the gc controller in port 4. Rescue mode starts and Firmware version (3.4 EUR) is shown. When I insert a game disk the wii seems to start booting it (drives spins up, firmware version vanishes). But the screen stays black nevertheless.
December 13, 2009 10:00PM
Ok, one more update - I am now ~99% certain that it's a bluetooth module failure:

I installed Wii-Linux on my SD card and booted it. Wii-Linux starts up fine, and I can log in. Checked /var/log/syslog to make sure that bluetooth drivers are loaded.

Ran "hciconfig". Result: Nothing. Nada. No devices are found.

Plugged in an external bluetooth dongle. hciconfig now lists the external dongle. Running "hcitool scan" and pressing 1&2 on the wiimote then shows the device.

Guess I'll order a replacement module + tri-wing screwdriver tomorrow.

Just to make sure: Is anybody here using wii-linux? If so, please be so kind and post the default ouput of "hciconfig".

Thanks,
Tom
December 19, 2009 11:43PM
Final Update:

I have just replaced the Bluetooth module.
Now everything is back to normal. Health warning screen shows up and system menu boots just fine.

btw: Wiimotes should be working even in hbc started from BootMii boot2.

If they don't, then try to start Wii-Linux and run "hciconfig". The Bluetooth module should be showing up as hci0.
If it doesn't show up then you most likely have a defective Bluetooth chip.

Hope this helps others experiencing similar problems.

Anyway, thanks SifJar for your support.

Regards,
Thomas

p.s.: How do I set this topic to [SOLVED]?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2009 11:45PM by TomMii.
BLAblahblahlal;skdjasdghasdhasdhjadfhmsdnhnakljsdh;lkaghsdglka;dgh[Solved]
December 19, 2009 11:56PM

How do I set this topic to [SOLVED]?
Edit your original post, and change the "Subject:" name. Look at my post for a reference.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/19/2009 11:56PM by WaxyPumpkin72.
Re: [SOLVED] Black Screen after BootMii boot2: Brick or Bluetooth?
December 20, 2009 12:55AM
Thanks!
Re: [SOLVED] Black Screen after BootMii boot2: Brick or Bluetooth?
December 29, 2009 03:56PM
Hi thanks for your email, I think I have the same problem too! I get dmesg flooded with usb problems messages, I will buy a bluetooth replacement board and see how it goes.
Hopefully it will not take me much time to get it shipped to Argentina.
Cheers.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login