Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cannot get to Wii Menu

Posted by JustaShmoe 
Cannot get to Wii Menu
January 13, 2010 02:25AM
I need help with getting my wii menu back.

The person who originally modded my system has moved away, and via email has sent me files to put on my sd card to update from 3.2u. I followed all his instructions just as he said, however, at the last step when we were at the white screen “system menu” and thought we were done, I couldn’t get back to the wii menu. It just kept returning to the white “system menu” screen. I can get to the homebrew channel but thats it.

When I boot up I go straight to bootmii (4 squares) and whether I click the wii or homebrew squares it will go to homebrew. If I push reset without holding it down it will also go to Homebrew. My kids have since took the wiimotes to a friends to use and now they cannot be re-syncked. I have a gamecube remote i can use but I don’t know what to do.

If it isn't obvious I fall into the "noob" category and am hoping there is a simple fix for this that I just don't know. Is there hope for me? Thanks.
Re: Cannot get to Wii Menu
January 13, 2010 03:27AM
The white screen that you see is probably Priiloader. If it is, does the system menu come up when you select the system menu option? If it does, change the settings in Priiloader to autoboot the system menu.

If the white screen is not Priiloader or you can't access the system menu from it, use Dop-IOS Mod to install IOS 60 and then system menu 4.1 (or if you want 4.2, install IOS 70 and then system menu 4.2). When installing the system menu, make sure that you choose the correct region, or else your wii will be semi bricked.

Alternately, you could use NUS Downloader to download a system menu and its IOS and have it pack them into WADs. These WADs can be installed with WAD Import. If you do it this way, you still need to make sure that the system menu region is correct. Also, if you install system menu 4.1, you need IOS 60 version 6174 (not the latest version), and if you install system menu 4.2, you need the latest version of IOS 70. Install the IOS before the system menu.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2010 03:28AM by jbc007.
January 13, 2010 04:03AM
Detail of white screen:

System Menu
Homebrew Channel
Bootmii IOS

Installed File
Load/Install File
System Menu Hacks
Settings

Bottom right of screen says “priiloader v0.1 (| 15)
Bottom left says IOS v70
Systemmenu v481

When I click "system menu", it remains on this same white screen appeared above.
I sent this because the bottom left indicating v70 is perhaps already in here?

My homebrew channel indicates i have wad manager v1.4 (i clicked it to see what further info. i could give but now that i have to use this gamecube remote i couldnt get any farther than selecting it from the homebrew menu.
January 13, 2010 04:19AM
JustaShmoe
When I click "system menu", it remains on this same white screen appeared above.

That's odd. Reinstalling the system menu seems like the best thing to do as it will remove Priiloader.

JustaShmoe
I sent this because the bottom left indicating v70 is perhaps already in here?

This means that IOS 70 is already installed, so if you install system menu 4.2, you don't need to reinstall IOS 70.

JustaShmoe
My homebrew channel indicates i have wad manager v1.4 (i clicked it to see what further info. i could give but now that i have to use this gamecube remote i couldnt get any farther than selecting it from the homebrew menu.

WAD Manager is not supported here because it can install illegal WADs, but it's OK to use it to install a system menu or IOS WAD. I think that it supports gamecube controllers (at least some version of it does).

If your wii is connected to the internet, all you need to do is use Dop-IOS Mod to install system menu 4.2u (v481 is 4.2u). If your wii is not connected to the internet, download system menu 4.2u with NUS Downloader, have it pack it into a WAD, put the WAD in a folder called wad on the root of your SD card, and install it with WAD Manager or WAD Import.
January 13, 2010 05:40AM
Download IOS70 before you download System Menu 4.2, or your Wii will become unusable.
January 13, 2010 03:20PM
WikiFSX
Download IOS70 before you download System Menu 4.2, or your Wii will become unusable.

He already has IOS 70.
January 13, 2010 04:07PM
Do I want Dop –IOS MOD v11 Beta6 zip or Dop-IOS MOD v10.1zip? (or doesn’t it matter) and yes I am connected to the internet.
So do I put the Dop that I download into the “apps” folder of the sd card?
If yes, then after I put the sd card back into the wii will it appear on the homebrew channel for me to click on?

if this is needed, this is what is in my current "apps" folder.
Cios
Cios222 Revision 4
Cios38 Revision 16
Trucha Bug Restorer
Priiloader
January 13, 2010 06:44PM
Put Dop IOS MOD v10.1 in the apps folder on your SD card, and it will appear on the HBC.
January 13, 2010 06:45PM
I would use Dop-IOS Mod v10.1, although it probably does not matter.

Your SD card should be set up like this: SD:\apps\Dop-IOS Mod\boot.dol, icon.png, meta.xml. It does not matter what the Dop-IOS Mod folder is called; also, the icon and meta only make it easier to find in the Homebrew Channel, they are not necessary. If your SD card is set up like this, Dop-IOS Mod will appear in the Homebrew Channel.

It does not matter what else is in your apps folder.
January 13, 2010 08:17PM
ok i installed the dop ios mod onto sd card, found it on the homebrew channel, clicked it and it is now asking me:

which ois would you like to use to install other IOSs. (what do i put?)
remember, my white screen indicated that i had ios v70 prior to me doing this today.

thank you so much for your patience and knowledge.
January 13, 2010 09:07PM
I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter; you could just choose IOS36, though.
January 13, 2010 10:01PM
what would happen if i chose the wrong one?
January 13, 2010 10:31PM
I don't think you can choose a "wrong one.". Just load 36.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2010 10:32PM by WaxyPumpkin72.
January 13, 2010 11:25PM
ok so far so good i am "almost" very very happy. I have found my wii menu. success. thank you thank you thank you.

but wait.......
Good news is: i could sync the remote. great
my wii menu has homebrew, gamma channel, and all the regulars, great
BUT... when i put in the store bought new super mario bros disc, the disc channel says
"wii system update" i don't think i should click that right?
I am, however, able to load this game thru the gamma channel so i am ok in that regard, however,
i cannot seem to load any of our .........
i will count my blessings that i can at least get this far, not sure how to properly ask for more help on another
matter without being against policies.
one more thing too. should the "bootmii" screen always appear first when the wii is turned on? i ask this because the only way to get me to the wii menu then is with this gamecube controller. (which i borrowed from my nephew). just wondered if should plan on keeping it rather than returning it.
January 14, 2010 12:20AM
You can perform the update from NSMB; it's just the boot2 update, which you can not perform with homebrew tools. However, if you update, it will remove Bootmii. In this case, you should reinstall Bootmii as boot2 (not as IOS) with the Hackmii Installer. I recommend that you keep Bootmii since it provides the best possible brick protection (the only thing that can remove it is Nintendo's boot2 update). You should also make a NAND backup with it, then, if your wii ever bricks, you can restore the NAND backup and your wii will be fixed in minutes.

If you don't want Bootmii to appear every time that you start your wii, you can change the autoboot setting in the bootmii.ini file to SYSMENU (this file is in the bootmii folder on your SD card). Alternately, you could use BootMii Configuration Editor to change the settings. If you ever need Bootmii, just change the setting back, and Bootmii will load when you turn on the wii.
January 14, 2010 01:43AM
Or you could just take your SD card out when you turn your wii on, and then put it back in once the system menu loads.
January 14, 2010 04:02PM
Ok, first let me say thank you sooo much for getting me through this wii menu loss. I know I would never have solved this on my own. Just the fear of pushing that final "execute" button and wondering if it will show the black screen of no return was a nightmare. I have a couple more issues to figure out but I will also rescan this site for the answers as I am sure they are more easily fixed.

Originally I got into this wii menu loss because when we bought our latest games for Xmas (super mario, toy story mania, etc - newly released games) they would not work without an update. So I contacted my friend who was my knowledgeable guru (and has since abandoned me I might add) and was sent updates to download onto my sd card. I was able to update from 3.2u to 4.2u(assuming that is why i can now play the above mentioned games). Even though i temporarily lost my wii menu it is now found and i am thrilled. However, I am still unable to get it to play the Guitar Hero 5 nor get it to recognize the rock band instruments. If i could sneak another question in here it would be "is there a simple solution to getting this corrected?"
January 14, 2010 05:59PM
Are the rockband and guitar hero legitimate copies that you bought?
January 14, 2010 06:00PM
yes they are. the rockband is the beatles addition if that makes a difference but its the bundle (the first experience for us with rockband) and will only recognize the mic i borrowed my neighbors wii to make sure the equipment actually worked and it does but not with our machine as it is now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2010 06:06PM by JustaShmoe.
January 14, 2010 06:01PM
Were you able to play them before you updated?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login