Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Complete Brick due to 4.2 Update

Posted by Voot 
Complete Brick due to 4.2 Update
January 25, 2010 09:58PM
Hi, I hope someone can help. I did something really dumb and updated to 4.2 Wii update. I've only just brought a new Wii back from Thailand (I live in Russia). I assume it was modified as it had Homebrew. However, I connected to internet and I guess you know the rest. Problem is I don't know much about fixing it. I just get a blank screen that says Error 003: unknown device attached. I tried holding down reset and power up, but nothing happens.

1/ I don't have any discs other than a few games.
2/ Is there some software I can download?
3/ Should I load this onto disc, SD card or USB?

I'd appreciate it if anyone can suggest where I start.
Re: Complete Brick due to 4.2 Update
January 25, 2010 10:34PM
Your have a region changed Korean wii; that is why it bricked. Unfortunately, this issue is nearly impossible to fix.
January 25, 2010 11:21PM
Actually I believe it is impossible to fix. It can only be prevented before it happens.
January 25, 2010 11:43PM
It may be possible to use a mod chip to autoboot and region convert an NTSC-U Brawl game. From there, Smash Stack could be used to boot the appropriate homebrew to fix the wii. However, I am not certain whether any mod chips are capable of doing this. Even if it can be done, it will not be easy.
January 26, 2010 03:59AM
jbc007
It may be possible to use a mod chip to autoboot and region convert an NTSC-U Brawl game. From there, Smash Stack could be used to boot the appropriate homebrew to fix the wii. However, I am not certain whether any mod chips are capable of doing this. Even if it can be done, it will not be easy.
I suppose that would work, but only for US/NTSC regioned Wii's that were Korean; Not PAL.
January 26, 2010 10:37AM
Thanks for your information, even if it doesn't look too great. Maybe I'll give your suggestion a try. It might be worth it if it's not too expensive. What sort of mod chip would I need? Where's the best place to get a mod chip? Can I try somewhere like here - [www.console24.com]
January 26, 2010 08:15PM
Voot
Thanks for your information, even if it doesn't look too great. Maybe I'll give your suggestion a try. It might be worth it if it's not too expensive.
I don't think it would work for you; You say you're in Russia and I'm not sure what the standard is there, but you're Wii would have to be NTSC-US regioned and you'd need a US copy of Super Smash Bros. Brawl.
January 26, 2010 08:45PM
Most modchips remove region protection so it wouldn't matter what region the Wii was, an NSTC-U copy of Brawl should work.
January 26, 2010 09:13PM
Do you know what region your wii was changed to? I'm assuming that it's PAL. The idea of repairing a wii in this manner has come up a few times before, and, as far as I know, no one has gotten it to work. There are a number of issues, such as configuring the chip to autoboot and possibly region convert the game (normally, a Drivekey (a good chip for this sort of repair) is configured in the disc channel, which you can't access). Also, I'm not sure if any chips can region convert games on system menu 4.2, and Smash Stack only works with the NTSC-U version of brawl.

It is probably not worth attempting to fix, since it may not be possible to repair. If your wii is NTSC-U, you will probably be able to fix it, but it may be to expensive to be worth it, expecially considering that it might not work. If your wii is not NTSC-U, I am not sure whether it is possible to fix it.
January 26, 2010 09:50PM
Unfortunately I don't know what region it's changed to. I can't get past the error message. I think I'm resigned to the fact you're right that it would cost too much to fix, although I've managed to contact one company who say they can replace the main board for about $120. It's a terrible disaster really for my first experience with a Wii.
January 26, 2010 09:56PM
Hmm, the Korean Wiis lack gamecube controller ports, don't they...
January 27, 2010 08:39AM
No, my Korean Wii seems to have the Gamecube controller ports (ie four holes in an enclosed area on the left of the Wii). Why?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login