Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Pink vertical lines on a black screen

Posted by Frustrated2 
Pink vertical lines on a black screen
May 12, 2010 02:47AM
My daughter brought a WII back from South Korea with Home Brew on it and capable of playing multi region games and it was working fine. I put a new original Australian game in I got as a present, it asked me some questions (which in hind sight must have been something like “do you want to update the operating system of the Wii”) and I just clicked yes, yes, yes etc. Then it all crashed. I called Wii and they asked me to try a couple of things (they thought it may have swiched to high definition TV mode) but no good. "Send us the box and money and we will give you a new one" was the ultimate Wii solution.

When I start the Wii all I get is a black screen with vertical pink lines on it. Nothing else happens.

I have read the instructions for use of this site wrt all the technical stuff I am supposed to include in this posting - but I just have no idea what most of the acronims mean let alone know what operating system version I used to have etc.

Can you help me with this issue or do I need to just buy a new Wii ?
Re: Pink vertical lines on a black screen
May 12, 2010 06:53AM
This can happen when you install a U/E/J system menu update onto a Korean wii. The U/E/J system menu can not load the korean key (or something like that)

The only way to fix it is to boot into AnyRegion Changer and fix the settings. This would require mods that are not covered on this site, so I can't help much here.

Also, Korean Animal Crossing City Folk has a 4.2k update- this would also likely fix your issue if loaded from recovery menu using savemii/savemiifrii
May 12, 2010 08:25AM
Thanks for the heads up. Since I can not get the Wii to do anything but show the pink lines (or be off !!) I don't know how I could use your second suggestiion about using recovery menues. So, I will just give the Wii people the money and they can give me a new one. Thank's once again, at least now I know.
May 12, 2010 04:14PM
Normally a Korean wii updated to 4.2U/E/J would display a 003 error. Since yours does not, something else likely went wrong. If you can access the rescue menu with SaveMii/SaveMiiFrii, you might be able to fix it. However, if Nintendo is willing to repair it for a reasonable price, that is probably your best option.
May 12, 2010 05:47PM
He is not on 4.2, he took a disk update. His settings are Korean and his system menu is U/E/J. This is just a normal out of region disk update- semi brick, but it is worse when done on the Korean wii.
May 12, 2010 06:54PM
I see. In that case, your suggestion of updating from a Korean Animal Crossing City Folk game is the best idea, provided the rescue menu works.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login