Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

[SOLVED] Not sure if I have a bricked Wii or a semi-brick or what...

Posted by EvilTrovis 
[SOLVED] Not sure if I have a bricked Wii or a semi-brick or what...
June 06, 2010 10:49PM
Let me start out by saying that I basically want my Wii to perform the way it did out of the factory. I'm tired of this homebrew stuff. I don't care anymore. I just want a plain, vanilla Wii, that works 100% the way it was designed. Right now it works... maybe 75% of the way it was designed.

Let me give a quick history:

Got a Wii for my birthday in 2007... with my birthday being July 7th, this would have been summer of 2007. I know that when we got it, it was still very hard to find in stores. Not quite a year afterward, I started to notice homebrew development for the Wii. In fact, here's a very old video I made about it:

[www.youtube.com]

As time went on, the Homebrew Channel was created, and I had that. For a while, that's the way my Wii was (I would only play it for a few minutes a month). Then, I had a friend who claimed he knew all sorts of things about the Wii and was charging people on Craigslist to go to their location and put the Homebrew Channel on their Wiis. Being my friend, he volunteered to update my stuff for free, giving me hacks with Wii Update 4.2 (I had 3.2 at the time).

Ever since he messed with it, it didn't work right. Initially, from what I remember, it didn't play anything but GameCube titles. It didn't play Wii games on disc (legitimate games I had purchased), it didn't play my Virtual Console titles, etc. All it would do (besides GC titles), is load the channels like News/Forecast/etc., and the Homebrew Channel. He had BootMii or some crap on there that required a GC controller to even get to the Wii menu, which I HATED. Using the HBC, I ran every sort of uninstaller I could find bundled with the software on my Wii (this was months ago, please don't ask what they were as I couldn't tell you). I somehow got it to play Wii discs again, but it still will not play Virtual Console stuff. I do still have the Homebrew Channel, and it launches, although there is nothing to launch within it (nothing on my SD card).

How can I fix that? I already have 4.2 and there are no further updates to my knowledge. Again, everything else seems to work (Wii discs, Internet Channel, Wii Shop, Nintendo Channel, etc.) and I'm pretty sure GC titles work, but I can not launch Virtual Console titles (the Wii goes to a black screen, gets real quiet, and my Wii Remote flashes all four lights; only way to turn the Wii off is to hold the power button down for like 5 seconds or whatever).

Thanks for any help!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2010 03:10AM by EvilTrovis.
Re: Not sure if I have a bricked Wii or a semi-brick or what...
June 06, 2010 11:28PM
Get dop-Mii (find it on wiibrew.org) and use it to update EVERY IOS. That should fix VC games.

After that, if you still want rid of BootMii and HBC, use HackMii Installer to uninstall them. But make sure you don't lose power while uninstalling BootMii, as that would mean your Wii could no longer be used at all.

BTW, you can make BootMii autoboot the System Menu, so you don't need to use a GC controller. Just rename the "bootmii" folder on your SD card something else, like "bootyou" or something, and System Menu will start automatically when you turn on Wii.
June 07, 2010 12:12AM
Alright thanks, I'll give that a try.

Also, forgot to mention, I got rid of BootMii a while ago, back when I got my Wii to play Wii games again.
June 07, 2010 12:24AM
Hmm, what exactly do I do with DOP-Mii? I have DOP-Mii V12 and it asks me what IOS I'd like to use, and I have the option to install IOS36 with Fakesign. Is that what I want to do?
June 07, 2010 01:03AM
Also: some new information. Apparently, only certain Wii games are working. Wii Fit works fine, but I just tried The Simpsons Game, and it did the same thing VC games do (locked up at a black screen before loading).
June 07, 2010 02:35AM
Have DOP-Mii run on IOS 36 (it really doesn't matter which IOS it runs on, but IOS 36 is usually most likely to work normally) and reinstall the latest version of every IOS. Do not apply patches to any IOSes and do not install any stub IOSes. This should allow all legitimate wii games and VC/WW games to work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2010 02:36AM by jbc007.
June 07, 2010 03:08AM
Awesome, worked great! All of my VC stuff is working again, as is the Simpsons Game (the disc I tried that wouldn't load). I'm happy guys, thanks so much.
Re: [SOLVED] Not sure if I have a bricked Wii or a semi-brick or what...
June 07, 2010 03:52AM
Glad you got it fixed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login