Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Low Level Bricked Wii cant get into recovery mode.

Posted by Auyx 
Low Level Bricked Wii cant get into recovery mode.
April 18, 2009 04:59PM
I have Bricked my wii :(

The machine was downgraded from 4.0 to 3.2E and had cIOS and HBC installed on it. The machine has a D2Ckey installed. I have tryed to boot the machine into recovery mode using a GC pad for a Savemii and have tryed about 30 times with different timeings holding the buttons down to no result I am just stuck with a black screen.

The brick was caused whin I tryed to run Metroid Prime Wii De Asobu with a English language patch applied. The game would not boot via Geko OS and was asking for an update, I stupidly thought that it would just result in dual weather and news channels and I could play the game. The update was applied very quickly and the wii tryed to reboot but since then all I have had is the black screen.

I am at a loss as to what I can do to fix it seeing as I cant get into the recovery mode. It seems wierd that I cant though becuse the system menu should still be intact shouldent it?

Any help would be great otherwise im gonna have to desolder a D2Ckey full 32 wire install and send it back to Ninty (not my idead of fun).

Thanks
Re: Low Level Bricked Wii cant get into recovery mode.
April 18, 2009 07:06PM
try turning on with your wii remote
April 18, 2009 08:52PM
Yes the Wii mote does turn the machine on which lead me to believe it is not the blue tooth module as the charts on the savemii site suggest.
April 18, 2009 09:31PM
i think you need bootmii and infectus
April 18, 2009 10:00PM
Thats what I have been dreading. Any other sujestions would be great. Any idea why the recovery menu wouldnt be working? Also this may sound dumb but im useing a set of component cables on the machine, they couldnt prevent the recovery menu from showing up could they?
April 20, 2009 01:56AM
no, you should be able to use savemii or savemiifrii to update to a higher system menu
April 20, 2009 02:40PM
Thants what I have been trying but I cannot get the thing to go into recovery mode nomatter how much I attempt it. I cant see why it should be and want to know if anyone knows why the system menu would be screwed in this instance.
May 15, 2009 03:03AM
Now that BootMii is released, what should he do to unbrick the Wii?
May 15, 2009 10:50AM
He obviously wont have bootmii installed to boot2 and a backup so right now nothing until he can sort out this brick. Then if he succeeds he (if his wii is compatible) installed bootmii to boot2 and backup his nand, and store it away for future events like this.
May 17, 2009 10:56PM
Hey guys I was sure I read somewhere a while ago that the infectus modchip could inject the boot2 meaning i could theoreticly fix my machine with that.Aanyone tryed this yet with bootmii beta and in infectus?
May 20, 2009 07:53PM
Hi there Auyx

I have exactly the same problem as you

I had my console SEMI BRICKED (opera error when you get into the configuration section of the Wii)

Then I install using the Wad Manager the Cios and the System Menu for the Japanese version (yep, my Wii is Japanese)

But then by some stupidity actI delete the Cios Operative System, the the console froze and when I hit reset the machien just give me a Black Screen.

When I hit the power buttom I can see the DVD Unit lighting up and a noise (like is trying to read something)

But the screen remains black

I want to add to this that I was able to adquiry a GameCube control, I even dissambly the whole thing to press the 4 buttoms at the same time, but Im unable to get into the "Recovery Console" I see NOTHING on the screen.

I was thinking on buying SaveMii and then do a recovery with one of my disc, but I dont know if this will work at all.

I have a D2CKey Mode Chip installed.

See ya around, any recommendations are welcome.
Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2009 07:54PM by elbujo.
May 21, 2009 04:09AM
I'll throw my hat in the ring with the exact same problem.

I stupidly ran a Disc update and upon reboot there is no video output at all. I can turn it on with the Wiimote but there is no video output past that point. Of course I do not have BootMii installed either.

I have also attempted the SaveMiiFree trick using a disassembled GC controller with no success. At this point I am running out of ideas but am continuing to look. I will have to seriously consider sending it into Nintendo (sans mod chip) and will call them tomorrow to find out what I am looking at.

If I figure anything out I'll report it back here.
May 21, 2009 11:45AM
Hi Smack please let us know what they say. I have removed my D2Ckey so that I can do the same thing but It would be very useful to hear what Nintendo have said . I could try and con a store into taking the machine back by buying a new one and saying it came bricked but I don't wanna have to fraud a shop if i don't have to.
May 21, 2009 09:27PM
Auyx I thought the same thing but maybe it is my old age creeping in but I have already ripped Nintendo off enough with the mod chip that I don't need to rip off a retailer and Nintendo again by swapping drives or whatever. these bloody ethics... ;) I do not envy your 32 wire desolder though. I think I have 5 or 6. I am not too concerned if Nintendo figures out I had a mod chip on the system at one time cause that is within my legal rights as a dirty Canadian.

I just called Nintendo and so far so good. I know I was only talking to a Customer Service rep but I described my problem as such; went to update via Punch-Out, upon reboot no video/audio, no nothin. My Wii is from launch and well beyond the warranty period but the rep said that they would bring it in under warranty which means I pay nothing to ship it to them. Woo hoo. However I fear it wont "come back" under warranty once they find out the case has been opened, and if they can even detect any of the custom IOS's. regardless I am more than willing to pay the standard $75, if they wanna try and gouge I will just ask for my system back and bite the bullet.

So once the technician phones I am sure more questions will arise which I will post back here once I hear from them. I think my defense is that, "I lent it to my nephew for a couple of months. who knows that that kid did?" Kids these days!
May 26, 2009 03:11PM
Those pesky kids!
May 26, 2009 07:51PM
I will update this post when I get my Wii back but it is on a truck right now so I should have it in a matter of hours.

I sent it on Friday, Nintendo got it Monday at 9am and sent it back out at 4:30pm the same day! I never received a phone call but I checked the status of my repair on Nintendo's site and it shows an invoice item for the standard $75 fix to my system which was waived due to them taking it in under warranty. It shows my "status" as History which I don't know what that means but so far this is sounding good. Hopefully History means that is resolved and not that my system is toast!

EDIT: I just got my Wii back and I was wrong about the Serial #, they sent my a new Wii but it is in the LU33 range running System Menu 3.3U leading me to believe it is refurbished, but it does come with a 1 year warranty. However all of my data/saves are gone. I just tried BannerBomb with success and have installed HBC, DVDx, and BootMii to boot2. I am now in process of backing up my NAND so I don't have to go through this again. All in all I lucked out big time. I hope this helps some of the other people in a similar situation.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2009 09:24PM by smack.
July 11, 2009 12:46AM
hi auyx,
were you able to send your wii to nintendo and got it fixed? if so, how much did it cost you?
regards.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login