Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Banner Brick on 4.0, would love some advice...

Posted by TenbatsU 
Banner Brick on 4.0, would love some advice...
May 18, 2009 05:36AM
I've pickled myself here. I import a lot of JP games and use my HBC solely for region free purposes. So I haven't been able to get my Monster Hunter3-Tri demo to play on my Wii, and through my personal vendetta to get it to work....I bricked my Wii. Since I HBC only for region free gaming, I'm 100% ignorant to all other technical aspects of homebrew at the moment. I believe I'm banner bricked, and here's what happens (or doesn't happen rather =/)...

-Turn Wii on
-Warning screen comes up, I press "A"
-I get the "system files are corrupted" screen...ouch

I need a nudge in the right direction, as I said, I'm pretty ignorant with this avenue of stuff, so I need some layman's terms here, I'm hoping to at least be able to get my save data off of there for my games, but I don't know if that's even possible =/.

HELP PLEASE!!!!!
Re: Banner Brick on 4.0, would love some advice...
May 18, 2009 06:12AM
Follow the branches
You seem to be banner bricked, like you said. Soo... follow Branch A. Your next move is maintenance mode (Power on your wii and at the initial health warning message hold down both the + and - buttons then press A.)
May 18, 2009 06:20AM
Hey, tried that, no good. So now it says to look into BootMii....but don't I already need that installed in my HBC to get that to work? I guess if I can't BootMii I'll have to put in a drivechip then? ......Goddaamned MH3 demo has turned into the bane of my existence....grrrrr.......If it wasn't for the hundreds of hours of savegame files on my Hard drive, I wouldn't be tripping, I've already bought another Wii (and the new one has menu 3.4U..which I guess is better than my old 4.0 =/).....I just want what's on the damn hard drive of my old one....although if I can get it 100% that would be great too.

....and thanks a lot Tank, you've been helping me out non-stop since I've had this curse enter my life, I really appreciate all you've helped me with.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2009 06:21AM by TenbatsU.
May 18, 2009 06:41AM
Yeah, I think you need to have bootmii already, and a backup of your wii filesystem, too... bugger.
Sounds like a modchip is the way forward.
Probably worth waiting until others see the post, and they can at least advise you on a suitable modchip, or correct me. (I don't post in this subforum much, simply because I can't answer many questions)

You're welcome, what goes around comes around. Others help me with coding, but I can help with setting up homebrew and troubleshooting. I'm sorry you ended up with a brick =/
What did you do to cause it? (I'm curious, and relevant for anyone else that reads)
May 18, 2009 06:56AM
There was a "no downsides" downgrade listed on the Gecko OS Link Removed site by one of the mods I think, so I tried it, and it didn't work for me the first time, so I tried something different the second time because the wording on step 7 was weird in context when I was doing it, and the screen when black, I waited about 10 mins, reset the system, and ka-blooey, system files corrupt. =(.

In specifics to what I did in step 7, here's what I did the second time to brick my Wii-

The program that loads in HBC has three options in it, the first being "Downgrade IOS35" which it says to run, which would be fine. But since I'm such a dink when it comes to this stuff, after each of the three starting options in parenthesis is says "this one first"...."this one second", etc. so I ran them in sequence, and when the third one was about done doing whatever it does, it when black.

This is totally my fault. I over thought the directions they gave me and I paid for it.....if I had known this was going to be this much of a damn headache to play import games, I woulda' just bought a JP Wii....=/....oh well....hopefully I can fine someone to help out with this, or at least point me in the right direction.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2009 05:55PM by Arikado.
May 18, 2009 12:39PM
All you need is Savemii(frii) and a disc with higher firmware than you Wii's to recover from a banner brick. Once you've recovered, install Bootmii and stop playing with WADs!

Misinformation. My bad...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2009 05:54PM by Arikado.
May 18, 2009 03:58PM
Since that Wii was at 4.0, do I pretty much have to wait for the next update then? And how will I know which games have the newer 'upgrades' on them?
May 19, 2009 08:25AM
Arikado
All you need is Savemii(frii) and a disc with higher firmware than you Wii's to recover from a banner brick. Once you've recovered, install Bootmii and stop playing with WADs!

That would only work for semi/full brick, wouldn't it? For a banner brick you need a autoboot ARC disc correct?

EDIT: you need a ATD autoboot

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2009 07:57PM by metroid_maniac.
May 19, 2009 05:47PM
metroid_maniac
Arikado

That would only work for semi/full brick, wouldn't it? For a banner brick you need a autoboot ARC disc correct?
A bannerbrick isnt a semibrick?
May 19, 2009 07:59PM
semibricks and fullbricks are by wrong region of sysmenu, bannerbricks by malformed banners. updating the sys menu wouldn't touch the banner
May 20, 2009 03:10AM
Okay, what's an ATD autoboot? Walk me through how to get one/make one, and do I have to get a mod-chip installed for any of this? If so, is there a reputable webite/person you could direct me towards as I'm almost positive that if I try to install a chip myself I'll end up destroying my Wii forever,lol. Thanks for the pointing in the right direction! Here's some more stuff I've found out since my last posts..

-I can't boot Wii in maintenance mode
-I tried using a Frii BootMii with Mario Kart and the screen just went black, but that Wii is on menu 4.0, so I don't know if it would work anyways because it wasn't higher firmware.

I'm learning a lot guys, thanks for the help so far!
May 20, 2009 07:14AM
------------------UPDATE---------------------

Okay, so I've figured out what ATD was, and this is what I've done so far, to still no success....

-Dl'ed ATD
-Converted ATD files to an ISO image
-Modified the ISO with the Wii Autoboot Creator and set it to "automatic"
-Burned it to a DVD
-Put disc in my Wii
-Booted with a BootMii (GC controller)
-The screen sits forever with the "4.0(USA)" in the corner.

By now I'm coming to the quick realization that I need a chip installed, so what chip should I need and who's good to get it installed?
May 20, 2009 07:50AM
try and find one without Region changing by default, it messes with the autoboot

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2009 07:50AM by metroid_maniac.
May 20, 2009 08:30AM
I assume you're referring to a mod chip? So I want to find one that doesn't autochange the region on boot because it causes problems with an autoboot correct? And why is a modchip necessary to get things to work now? Does it disable some system function by being installed, or does it allow a "side-step" so-to-speak? And is the installation of said chip idiot-proof, or should I have someone else take care of it? I know that's a lot of questions, but I'm taking the opportunity to get educated a bit more here.
May 20, 2009 05:12PM
the modchip allows you to read burned games, which is what you want. Any chip would probably work so long as it has no region changing BY DEFAULT. any help here would be apreciated.
May 24, 2009 12:48AM
Found 2 different chip types....any one in particular you guys recommend for the purpose I need it for?

1) [www.consolesource.com]

2) [www.consolesource.com]

I'm leaning towards the 2nd, as it has update blocks for import games....which would be a nice fail safe. But If I'm missing something, let me know. Thanks guys....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2009 12:51AM by TenbatsU.
May 29, 2009 01:41AM
This is making me laugh uncontrollably. I get a private message from a mod and my topic closed for mentioning that my purpose for using Geck OS is for backups, but you guys have posted like 5 replies related to modchips!

Anyways, aren't modchips illegal?
May 29, 2009 02:51AM
Godofrock72
This is making me laugh uncontrollably. I get a private message from a mod and my topic closed for mentioning that my purpose for using Geck OS is for backups, but you guys have posted like 5 replies related to modchips!

We are not talking about Backups here, thats why the thread is still safe.
May 29, 2009 03:50AM
daniel_c_w
Godofrock72

We are not talking about Backups here, thats why the thread is still safe.

Correct. I've never backed up or intend to back up. My brick happened because I was having problems playing a legit game I imported, and the mod chip discussion here is related because it's now my ONLY chance to un-brick my Wii so that's why I bring it up.
May 29, 2009 05:32PM
Godofrock72:

Believe me when I say you really don't want to bring our private discussions into the public domain.

Regarding the legality of modchips, they are illegal in some countries (actually really only the US). And as a general rule of thumb around here, we're not going to help anyone install modchips or run backups with modchips. But we will provide general help if, like in TenbatsU's case, it is the only way to possibly restore his Wii.

As for what happened to your topic, I told you can repost it without the backup stuff omitted since you claimed to me that you only want to know what hooks do and how to use them. Regarding your behavior throughout this entire matter, I now believe that putting you on your "first and last warning" was the right decision and not too harsh on my part. (I was actually thinking of reducing the punishment (like I normally do) since to seemed to pretty cooperative - but not anymore)

And thanks for the thread invasion :D I'm sure TenbatsU is thrilled.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2009 05:34PM by Arikado.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login