Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Slightly blimished video, speckles and spots....

Posted by LeftToSigh 
Slightly blimished video, speckles and spots....
June 16, 2009 09:46AM
What would be the cause of this? It doesn't affect the game play none at all. Just the video is slightly blimished a little, but it's not too noticeable. Could the disk drive have been strained a little from watching DVDs'? Reminds me of some of the lag that comes from playing online and there's little spots, light shimmering little lines in certain areas of the screen background while the connection is catching up with the action and when the game freezes when the connection is lost. It like those got burned in the background of my Wii. I have my wiiconnect24 off. Trying to figure this out cause I don't want this to become a problem later on down the road.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2009 09:47AM by LeftToSigh.
Re: Slightly blimished video, speckles and spots....
June 16, 2009 11:38AM
Has the wii been on for an extended period of time? After a while my wii had developed a sort of grid distortion on the video. After letting it cool down for a while it disappeared on its own.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2009 11:39AM by idiosync.
June 17, 2009 12:31AM
It's been like that for a while, but as long as it didn't really progress and get worse. I try not leave it on for too long of extended periods when not in use. Unless I'm actively in some form or fashion doing something pertaining to it and playing it. I would like to get rid of those dots .
June 17, 2009 01:14AM
Do you use a PAL-Wii connected via Scart-RGB?
June 17, 2009 02:50AM
June 17, 2009 05:00AM
Sounds like GPU artifacting.
June 17, 2009 05:58AM
PhoenixTank
Sounds like GPU artifacting.

Could you elaborate on this. Thanks in advance. I'm searching around for more info on the topic.
June 17, 2009 06:20AM
Well, it sounds like a hardware issue with the GPU overheating like this, but you mentioned that it doesn't appear in games at all?
If the issue only appears when playing a DVD with mplayer CE, for example, then that is pretty normal.
My £20 DVD player does a far better job of playing DVDs, in honesty, whereas mplayer CE is kinda blocky at times, and the colour is a little off.
June 17, 2009 06:28AM
Yeah it's like what's illustrated in the link you posted. It's not too noticeable in games. Depending on if I go into a dark areas of the game etc. Is this reversable? More cool air? I use to leave my Wiiconnect24 on at one time a few months ago until I noticed that the system would still be warm while off as if it were still powered up.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2009 06:58AM by LeftToSigh.
June 17, 2009 09:24AM
You could try more/better cooling, but it seems to be a hardware defect that gets brought up initially by overheating, or otherwise intolerance to high points of expected temps. I don't think it is reversible... but I have had no hands on with this.
Most people that I knew with the issue just sent the thing in for repairs, but they didn't homebrew at all.
Your call there.
June 17, 2009 03:30PM
LeftToSigh
I use to leave my Wiiconnect24 on at one time a few months ago

In your initial post, you said, you have WC24 off.

There is no official confirmation for that, but many consider the heat from wc24 the reason.
You are not the first one who gets that error.
In WC24 (Standbye) the GPU is still on (because of Starlet?) and the wii still emits a signal. It uses about 9 Watts.
IT is also noticeable, that even playing games like Prime 3 or SMGalaxy does not heat up the Wii as much as WC24.
June 17, 2009 06:04PM
I presently just keep Wiiconnect24 off completely until I want to connect to the Votes, Shop, Weather, News or Nintendo channels. After I use them I turn it back off. Yeah, I was noticing that heat several months ago and started leaving it off. Also leaving off WC24 gets rid of any weird delays in between screen menu. I was thinking of calling Nintendo to see what options I have. I want to keep my Wii it'll be 2 years old next month. It's under a new warranty from where I sent it in March of this year from where the disk drive had went bad. Trying to hold out until I were to get a new job so I would have something to do while waiting for it to get fixed again. Could play my other old Nconsoles like I did while it was getting fixed. It's not too bad right now or majorly noticeable. If I were to send it in I guess I would move all my Homebrew etc. to SD card.
June 18, 2009 04:59AM
Hmmm. I thought I could delete my message board gameplay stats at one time?? My Wii isn't experiencing any problems from Homebrewing, but I was feeling paranoid that Nintendo would refuse to repair my Wii for showing previous signs of Brew from looking my play stats. At one time those play stats for Homebrew Channel etc. wouldn't even even show up. Now they do...Hmm. The ones that did show several months ago I deleted, now there's no option to delete them.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/23/2009 10:53AM by LeftToSigh.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login