Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SaveMii Q&A

Posted by bushing 
SaveMii Q&A
October 05, 2008 12:47PM
Let's kick this off by creating a thread for questions and answers about SaveMii -- how it works, and how to use it to unbrick your Wii.

There are two primary ways to use it:
* Install an update -- when you boot a Wii using SaveMii, it will check to see if there is an update partition on the currently inserted disc, and if there is one, it will try to install it. This will not allow you to downgrade; it obeys the same limitations as the normal System Menu. This is the way to fix a brick created by installing the wrong version of the system menu. You can use one of the "semi-brick fix discs" I made, or even just a normal, newer game disc such as Mario Kart.

* Run code -- After the system menu checks for an update on the disc, it calls BS2IsDiagDisc() to check to see if the disc is a "diag disc". All this means is that the first byte of the disc ID is '0' or '1' -- what some have called an "autoboot" disc. This means that a specially prepared disc could be used to fix other sorts of bricks, including "banner bricks".
Re: SaveMii Q&A
October 05, 2008 12:56PM
I would like to add to this that it does not let you run burnt discs, so if you want to run the semibrick fix disc, or an autoboot disc that you burn yourself (you're never going to get a Nintendo autoboot disc), you have to have a drivechip. Feel free to delete my post and edit yours.
October 05, 2008 01:25PM
Ever got it tested using the drivechips for d2c boards? especially in the banner (actually archive) brick case since menu update will not recover them.
I want to know why I can't autoboot using my modchip, could it be that drivechip patching the gamecode and sending that 0 as R or something.?
If so, savemii will not work too?

Or as I hope is it a problem with the system menu not autobooting the diag/autoboot disc because it detects the nand mess earlier and halts?

If it's the latter then I created a myth of modchips some supporting autoboot and some not...

ps 1: Mine is the "System files corrupted" case created with incorrect packing of an archive file in a wad.
ps 2: Last week it was holiday and post service was not working, hopefully I'll grab my savemii next week.
October 05, 2008 06:05PM
@WiiCrazy: It shouldn't be affected by any different types of drivechips/disc drives. However, if your drivechip relies on the first byte of the disc being "R" before it does region patching or some other routines, you could have an issue--like you suggested.

Unless something is messed up with 1) Disc loading code or 2) Disc loading settings, you will probably be able to use SaveMii properly.

You might want to consider creating a topic for your bricked Wii situation when you get your SaveMii. :)
July 04, 2009 03:45PM
Can't I change the System Menu, for example, from 3.2 PAL to 3.2 NTSC-U? Or only a newer version can be installed?

[]'s
July 07, 2009 05:26AM
(AFAIK)
Nope, the PAL version's number is higher than the US version number.
You could go from US to PAL, but not the other way around.
July 13, 2009 07:27PM
Thanks for the help, I updated to System Menu 3.3 USA and now it works fine... Now I need to find a way of downgrading it... []'s
July 13, 2009 08:16PM
wiiguy
(AFAIK)
Nope, the PAL version's number is higher than the US version number.
You could go from US to PAL, but not the other way around.

He should be able to go to 4.1J then.
(he can go once around the world, but never come back)
What about Korea?
July 13, 2009 08:37PM
bwprado
Thanks for the help, I updated to System Menu 3.3 USA and now it works fine... Now I need to find a way of downgrading it... []'s

if its 3.3v1, anyregionchanger will work. otherwise, there is no way that is supported here.
August 25, 2009 11:15PM
If I updated my wii to 4.0U with Punch Out, and now whenever I turn it on all I see if a black screen, will a savemii dongle work on it? Do I have to wait until a 4.1 update comes out?
August 25, 2009 11:21PM
Punch Out doesnt have 4.0, it has 3.4. No game has higher than 3.4 yet afaik. And if you have a black screen, chances are SaveMii wont work. You see, in most cases were SaveMii will work, there is some sort of sign of life, like health screen displaying, then freezing, or a message appearing saying "system files are corrupt" or something. If you only get a black screen, that probably means your System Menu IOS isnt working. I'm guessing you were on 4.0 or 4.1 and downgraded? If so, then your System Menu IOS is a mothballed IOS, and your Wii is unrecoverable unless you have either a) BootMii as boot2 or b) a NAND programmer and your Wii's keys (can only be extracted from your Wii with homebrew).
October 06, 2009 01:16PM
when i boot up it gose to a black screen its like the tv is off its full bricked will savemii fix that ??

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2009 01:51AM by Arikado.
October 06, 2009 07:27PM
This is not the topic for that. Please ask somewhere else. A.K.A create a new topic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2009 07:28PM by metroid_maniac.
October 07, 2009 03:15AM
lol savemii Q&A i ask a "Q" u give me a "A" -_-
October 07, 2009 06:58PM
Fair enough, but please make a relevant topic. Try to turn the Wii on with the Wii Remote.
October 07, 2009 10:07PM
i have a weird problem i have a soft modded wii that my friend bricked and i lost my back up will save me help? or can i even be helped
October 08, 2009 06:53AM
details would help
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login