Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The One Time I Remove Preloader...

Posted by theinnernette 
The One Time I Remove Preloader...
July 10, 2009 03:43AM
I have been using preloader for a while. It worked fine, but I had never needed to use it. My Wii was modded quite a while ago, and so the methods I used on it were pretty old. I really wanted to try BootMii and SoftMii.

So, I followed a guide to make my Wii a "virgin", which went well the first time. I tried the bannerbomb method, which worked fine, but when installing HackMii, BootMii couldn't be installed as boot2 because my Wii is apparently too new (lu61 I think).

I installed everything, tried SoftMii, and for some reason, only Gamecube games would work. I decided to make my Wii a virgin again. This included removing preloader and everything else. I made the mistake of installing the systemmenuv289.wad over system menu 3.2. Now I boot up to a black screen, no audio, no video.

Does anybody have an idea of how to fix this?

I'm thinking about leaving WiiFit (real copy) in for a while to see if that works. The disc drive sounds like its spinning.
If that doesn't work, I have a friend with a chipped Wii, so I could probably do something with that.
I could try SaveMii.
If I am absolutely screwed, I will probably buy one with a broken disc drive and just use my old one.

Not getting it fixed (or not getting a new one) is not an option - my family is a bunch of whiners and they will complain all the time until they can play their precious Wii bowling.

EDIT: I do have backups of all of the keys and the NAND

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2009 03:56AM by theinnernette.
Re: The One Time I Remove Preloader...
July 10, 2009 08:39AM
this is why "softmodding" is too dangerous. softmii is just a poorly put together zip of other peoples work with a txt. Don't try to make a wii a virgin through softmod fail guides. it sounds like the system menu file is corrupted or non-existent.
However, with the NAND keys it IS possible to fix: I just don't know how
July 10, 2009 02:15PM
I'd say this should be fixable if you can get a savemii or savemiifrii to work. if you have a gc controller lying around, try savemiifrii, if it can get to recovery menu (black screen with firmware version in corner) stick in a disc with a higher update. the disc should start spinning. wait till the wii turns off(?). then turn on and you should (hopefully) have a working wii. but whatever you do, dont use softmii again. it is epic fail. in a zip file.
July 10, 2009 03:34PM
SifJar
I'd say this should be fixable if you can get a savemii or savemiifrii to work. .
he was messing with the menu WAD, he probably deleted it by accident. If you have a GC controller, by all means try it, otherwise, don't.
July 10, 2009 05:41PM
i dont have much experience with bricks sorry.
July 10, 2009 05:43PM
SifJar
i dont have much experience with bricks sorry.
well now you have a bit more :-)
July 10, 2009 05:48PM
hopefully i never get first hand experience. ;)
July 10, 2009 05:56PM
now, about this guys wii. his system menu "file" has been deleted. This is encrypted with his keys. He knows his keys, so it is possible to fix it with PCWnP (I think). That's the hard way. The easy way is to send it to the big N :-)
July 10, 2009 06:05PM
yeah, i would say send it to Nintendo, but what if they ask how the System Menu got deleted? Will they just assume he powered off during update, and it wasnt installed? If so, this could actually work out OK. If not, they COULD charge a lot more than it actually costs for the repair, but I believe they probably wont.
July 10, 2009 06:44PM
I recently returned my wii to the big N for the following problem: [forum.wiibrew.org]

Within a day after receiving the unit they simply sent a refurbished unit (albeit one that you can't install bootmii as boot2) the following a day. My Wii obviously had a different problem, but I told them that I was "updating the wii firmware and it stopped working a day later". They charge a flat rate to fix the Wii at $92 (out of warranty) total for work and shipping. Just play dumb and tell them your roommate, sister, grandfather was using it. I still find it hard to believe that N will charge an outrageous price for a soft modded Wii. I've seen the supposed letter from N for a Wii with HBC, but I'm still skeptical.
July 10, 2009 07:02PM
Yeah, one isolated case seems quite fishy tbh. I'm sure plenty of people with HBC have need repairs, and surely if they'd been charged extra we'd know.
July 10, 2009 07:26PM
zipperdoyle
They charge a flat rate to fix the Wii at $92 (out of warranty) total for work and shipping.

To clear the details:
That was Nintendo Of America (Redwood), right?

(p.s.: did you know, that The Big N is sourrounded by Microsoft buildings)
July 10, 2009 08:33PM
daniel_c_w
To clear the details:
That was Nintendo Of America (Redwood), right?

Yep.
July 11, 2009 12:18AM
I think I will try the PCWnP method. I have three files: keys.txt, wii_nand_with_ecc.img, wii_nand_without_ecc.img, and one folder: WII_FS, which contains all of the files in their respective folders.

I think I will buy a Wii with a broken disc drive off of ebay anyways, and just switch the two drives (or use the bannerbomb hack with the USB Loader.

Thank You for all of the help, and I will tell you if I get the Wii fixed or not and how.

Well, after looking at everything I had done, I think the moral of the story is: "Don't fix what's not broken."
July 11, 2009 12:33AM
another moral of the story is "dont unzip fail into your wii".

and also, usb loader isnt supported here, nor the processes required to run it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login