Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

save from brick with bootmii ios

Posted by thedemon13666 
save from brick with bootmii ios
September 12, 2009 11:53PM
Hi Guys

Its my understanding that if bootmii is loaded as an ios, it cant restore a nand and so doesnt protect you in the event of a brick.

If you have a wii that can only install bootmii as an ios then what protection can you get that would be similar to bootmii in boot2 form?

I mean how can you recover from a brick that you could recover from if you had bootmii in boot2?
Re: save from brick with bootmii ios
September 12, 2009 11:54PM
There is nothing that offers the same protection as a NAND dump, but preloader can help in many cases.
September 12, 2009 11:56PM
There really is no benefit as of now for the Bootmii IOS... yet
September 12, 2009 11:59PM
TopGun96
There really is no benefit as of now for the Bootmii IOS... yet
As SIfJar said, I'm pretty sure preloader is the only thing that can help you right now...I think starfall has some brick protection functions, but I'm not sure.

As of now, bootmii IOS can't do anything. I'm pretty sure that eventually it will have the ability to run apps of of MINI.
September 13, 2009 12:00AM
The only brick protection starfall (or startpatch) has is the recovery menu with the GC controller...
September 13, 2009 12:01AM
can you have starfall and preloader on at the same time?
September 13, 2009 12:05AM
yes, but you must install starfall/startpatch first, then preloader.
September 13, 2009 12:07AM
ok.

for an older wii which can install bootmii as boot2 i assume you dont really need starfall for brick protection.

For the newer wiis (lu64 Le250 etc), how does starfall/preloader protect you against brick protection?
September 13, 2009 12:11AM
Starfall - Allows access to recovery menu with unmodded GC controller, and lets you boot games, such as Smash Bros, so you can use Smash Stack

Preloader - Places itself before System Menu, and lets you choose to load it instead of System Menu by holding reset while powering on. From preloader, you can launch HBC or launch homebrew directly. This may allow you to fix some bricks, by reinstalling IOS or System Menu for example, or by deleting dodgy custom channels (which can now be done legally, but can bannerbrick you).

Preloader gives better protection, but both can be handy.
September 13, 2009 12:13AM
whats the recovery menu for??
September 13, 2009 12:15AM
ahh so if you bricked you wii, in some cases you can use preloader to load system menu, from there you can use the wad manager to reinstall ios's such as system menu, what ios is the system menu?
September 13, 2009 12:15AM
grrrr... i was beat again

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2009 12:15AM by TopGun96.
September 13, 2009 12:16AM
darklink
whats the recovery menu for??

Recovery. lol

Its a feature built into the system menu which usually requires either a SaveMii dongle or a modded GC controller to access it. It will install the update from any disc inserted, provided the version is higher than the one installed. Useful for fixing bricks caused by installing the wrong region system menu.

EDIT: The System Menu isnt an IOS.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2009 12:17AM by SifJar.
September 13, 2009 12:22AM
oh lol silly me, soooooooooooooooooooooo how do you reinstall the system menu?
September 13, 2009 12:23AM
with a wad that you get from NUS with NUS Downloader and then use wadimporter to reinstall it

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/2009 12:23AM by TopGun96.
September 13, 2009 12:25AM
ok so how often is this likely to save you?

I mean are most bricks related to a dodgy ios/system menu?
September 13, 2009 12:31AM
hard to say. most are in some way related, but some arent. there are some which cant be fixed by preloader. for example, if you update and something goes wrong, it wont help, because updates wipe out preloader and starfall.
September 13, 2009 12:35AM
well if the update somehow screws up before the system menu is installed, preloader wouldnt be removed and then it could save you. However there is a very small chance of this happening.
September 13, 2009 12:35AM
so will there ever be a way to have the same protection that bootmii in boot2 has on an lu64 le250 model?
September 13, 2009 02:50AM
not the exact same as boot2... but if they put the bootmii in the same place as preloader (or before) it would help even more
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login