Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Help with comex formatter

Posted by strells 
Help with comex formatter
October 19, 2009 06:44AM
A couple of months ago I posted about my 3.3% bricked Wii with bootmii boot2 installed (and stupidly no NAND backup). I finally got around to trying to format it and start over. Following the readme for comex's formatting tool, I created 4 wads using NUS Downloader and put them in a wad folder. From bootmii, I was able to run formatter.elf from the SD card. I get a message saying the first wad is being installed. However, it just sits there. I let it sit for over 2 hours with no progress.

I decided to reboot. My NAND usage now reads as 4.5%, but the Wii still does not boot. Did I do something wrong or is there anything else I can try?

Steve
Re: Help with comex formatter
October 19, 2009 07:16AM
Did you name the WADs correctly?

I may make a NAND Backup and try the formatter just so I can help you out.
October 19, 2009 07:55AM
Do they need to be named something in particular? I just kept the default names from NUS Downloader. And should the formatter show any progress?

Steve
October 19, 2009 01:55PM
I honestly don't know, I was just taking shots in the dark. Might I suggest you consult the readme file?
October 19, 2009 05:26PM
The readme is about as bare bones as you can get. All it says is to put the 4 wads into a wad folder. That's it.

Steve
October 19, 2009 05:43PM
yeah, but it is extremely helpful though. From reading the readme, you're doing nothing wrong as far as I can tell. Dunno man, can't help ya

what versions of boot1 and boot2 do you have?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2009 05:43PM by cactusjack901.
October 19, 2009 09:25PM
The filenames of the wads don't matter. What exactly did you download with NUSD?(And what versions?)
October 19, 2009 10:14PM
Just as it says in the readme (http://github.com/comex/formatter/blob/1c8b0165d5eeb3d54ff99b7bbae24c263a708103/readme.txt), I downloaded the titles and versions listed, created wads from them, and put them in a wad folder on a blank SD card. From bootmii, I went to the SD option and started formatter.elf. I also had found ppcboot.elf and tried that as well, but I think it's the same thing as formatter.elf.

When I run the program, the screen says it is installing the first wad and the wad file size (about 22 MB, correct for system menu 3.1U). I let it sit for a long time with no change. It never shows installation of any of the other wads. My only indication that something has happened is that after I reboot and go back into the system info in bootmii, it says my nand usage is now 4.5% instead of 3.3%. I still have to check my boot1 and boot2 versions as asked above, but this is a launch day Wii with bootmii installed as boot2.

It would be really nice if I could resurrect this Wii.

Steve

P.S. My original post is here: [forum.wiibrew.org].
October 19, 2009 11:05PM
Did you try running it again? Maybe something randomly happened first time which stopped it working. Also, try redownloading the WADs.
October 19, 2009 11:49PM
I've tried at least 3 times. What exactly is supposed to happen? Is there any progress indication that should occur?

I'll download the files again, but why would that make a difference?

Steve
October 20, 2009 07:49PM
Did you compile comex's formatter yourself without modifications, or did someone else compile it, with modifications?(The .elf link in your other topic was modified, with formatting removed.)
You won't see any progress displayed during installation of each wad, that info is sent over USB Gecko.(And any errors, ect)
October 20, 2009 09:15PM
No. I don't have any facilities to compile this and I don't have a USB gecko. Is there a compiled version somewhere that will do a full format and install?

Steve
October 21, 2009 10:30PM
I've sent you a PM with a link to a build of comex's formatter without any modifications.
October 31, 2009 08:08PM
The original poster hasn't responded to this, but I did get a copy from yellowstar, and while the filesize of comex's formatter is different from the other two I have tried, it does not seem to progress during the installation either. I'm just going to leave it running for a while, but it doesn't appear to be doing anything. I created the WADs and left the original filenames, just like strells did.

Has anyone actually succeeded in getting this to work?
October 31, 2009 09:53PM
UPDATE:

I was able to install the 4 wads as directed by the readme file. When the wads were done installing, the message "done" appeared on the screen. I turned the power off, then back on, but I can't get the Wii to boot. I can still load up bootmii, and it would seem the comex formatter did indeed format the wii's NAND, but it did not properly install the required files. Any suggestions?
SOLVED!
November 01, 2009 12:29AM
In case anyone else runs into the same problem I had, here is the solution I used...

I used the comex formatter, which did NOT reinstall the system wads like it was supposed to. This essentially bricked my Wii, but in doing so it set me up to use the following guide to fix a full brick.

So I followed the steps in this link, and it was like I had a brand new Wii. I just restored all of my saved games and everything works fine now. No banner brick.

[www.wiihacks.com]
November 01, 2009 01:54AM
Please remove that link as it pertains to fail. Thanks
Re: SOLVED!
November 01, 2009 05:47AM
I'm not going to remove the link. It's what I used to fix my Wii and people who have the same problem that I did might come across this thread later and I want them to know what worked for me.
Re: SOLVED!
November 01, 2009 11:15PM
Alright......
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login