Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

sysmenu IOS deleted -> brick

Posted by Sephiroth 
sysmenu IOS deleted -> brick
October 20, 2009 09:37PM
hi guys ^^

i started this topic for someone who bricked his wii by deleting the IOS that was used by the system menu...I know this is really stupid but is there any chance to unbrick this wii (e.g. with savemii + modchip) except for using a nand programmer?

i was wondering how exaktly savemii works, for instance does it even use/need the sysmenus IOS? or can it jump to a different sane IOS? if thats the case you should definitely be able to use a modchip + savemii to start a homebrew-app to install the missing IOS, right?

it's so stupid that just 1 missing part is causing SO much trouble... -.-
Re: sysmenu IOS deleted -> brick
October 20, 2009 10:03PM
No. IOS is required for sys menu functions, like Savemii/
October 21, 2009 01:18AM
I am assuming you don't have bootmii installed as boot2. Do you have preloader installed?
October 25, 2009 11:06PM
ok it seems that he at least has a bootmii backup (pretty sure he just has bootmii/IOS and NOT bootmii/boot2) + preloader installed.

but preloader won't start either even while holding reset at startup...but i guess thats pretty obvious because preloader uses the sysmenus IOS and if thats missing, preloader wont start as well...any way to change the IOS used by preloader even with a wii that cant even boot (e.g. with the config file for preloader)?
October 26, 2009 05:39PM
if you dont have a bootmii(boot2) send it to nintendo
or buy a modchip
October 27, 2009 06:31PM
well if he sends the wii back to nintendo i think there is a 99,9% chance that nintendo finds out about homebrew, since the only thing missing is the sysmenus IOS.

and we all know how much nintendo charges the customer if softwarehacks are found -.-

what exactly did you mean by mentioning a modchip? savemii seems useless so the combination of savemii + modchip to load a homebrew-app dies.

so what exactly can he change by just using a modchip?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2009 06:32PM by Sephiroth.
October 27, 2009 06:37PM
modchip is useless, dont buy a modchip. and there has only been one, unconfirmed case of Nintendo charging for homebrew. and when you send it to them, they tell you how much it will cost before doing anything, and you can tell them to send it back if you dont want to pay. I'd say just send it to them.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login