Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Half-Bricked Wii, but how?

Posted by yoshicircuit 
Half-Bricked Wii, but how?
November 25, 2008 04:46PM
Short Story: I updated my Wii to 3.4, and my Wii's semi-brick was fixed. The Homebrew Channel was not affected at all. (That's just me. The Homebrew Channel has been deleted by it before.)

Long story: I lent my SD Card to a friend, so I had to use my camera's SD if I wanted to use Gecko OS to ocarina my games. I then downloaded a really good save state for SSBB, Waninko's Game Save Installer, Gecko OS, some cheats, and whatever else was necessary. I went to play SSBB with Gecko OS and my codes, only to find out that I didn't install the save state. So I went back, installed it, then went to play SSBB with my codes. It wouldn't load. I tried again, restarting Gecko, but it still didn't work.

So I went back to the system menu, and tried playing Brawl, but it either froze or the Wii couldn't read it. I tried using Wii Fit, which had a perfectly native save state. Of course, the Wii still wouldn't play any games. I was then certain my Wii was semi-bricked, so I went to install the Wii update. Not that I would have a proper SD Card until the new Homebrew Channel came out. My Wii was updated to 3.4, and the Homebrew Channel was not removed, and all the apps worked perfectly fine. My Wii was no longer bricked. The save state I downloaded for SSBB worked as well.

Question: How was my Wii bricked if I had never played any foreign games? Was my Homebrew Channel just lucky? Could the save state had been hacked? Will there ever be USB support for the Homebrew Channel?
Re: Half-Bricked Wii, but how?
November 25, 2008 11:13PM
You use the term "Semi-brick" a lot, but I'm not sure you're aware of what it refers to.
See: [wiibrew.org]

Your Wii wouldn't load games, but that's not exactly a symptom of any sort of brick.

Are you using any sort of drivechip? If so, it is much more likely that it had some sort of issue. And you should take support for that elsewhere.
November 26, 2008 12:37AM
I used to get this too! but it went away eventually. I have no drivechip, just the HBC and DVDx installed :).
Unbrick a Wii
February 04, 2009 09:03PM
I wanted to tell you guys what i found

You can use the Wii Recovery disc to copy the TP hack into another Wii with the same firmware
I did it with 3.4e btw the recovery disc does not work on 3.3e
This could really help in unbricking thanks to the TP hack and Autoboot Zelda with savemii

Now cant we use the rbk install file to install are own home brew on any Wii, im no coder but you lot are lol

Thank to Marcan and Bushing and FlatMii guys

Mat
February 15, 2009 02:13PM
where did you get this recovery disk
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login