Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Black screen from official upgrade. Wii doesn't turn off unless plug is pulled.

Posted by pikay2k 
Black screen from official upgrade. Wii doesn't turn off unless plug is pulled.
January 28, 2010 03:07AM
I researched a bit on this, and although other cases are similar, I have one that I'm not sure is fixable or not.

Okay, so I've had my wii Twilighted for quite some time with no real problems. I also installed Bootmii on it directly from the homebrew channel, but apparently it wasn't installed in the way that can resurrect my wii (The LED doesn't flash 2 times when I boot it without a card in). I still have the armboot and ppcboot.elf files on my card, but I doubt those will do me any good.

In any case, the problem started when my little brother decided to try out his friend's copy of Wii Resort, which had a system update on it. He updated my wii, only to have it bricked. So I get this black screen when I turn the wii on. As soon as I turn it on, it tries to read if there's a disk inside. IF there isn't one, it tries to take a disk. I was a bit hopeful at this, since I read that if you try SameMiiFrii (which I was doing) it tries to read a disk. Putting in my Wii Resort did nothing. It took the disk but that's all, the disk didn't sound like it was spinning.

One other oddity is that it can turn on with the power button via wiimote, but no wiimotes can sync with the system. On top of that, the system can't be turned off by any means other than pulling the plug.

Reading from other topics, it seems like I'm pretty much screwed. I had HBC installed on my wii before it bricked, so I'm pretty sure Ninty will know I modified my wii if I send it in for repair.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2010 03:08AM by pikay2k.
Re: Black screen from official upgrade. Wii doesn't turn off unless plug is pulled.
January 28, 2010 03:39AM
You probably will not be able to fix this without a hardware NAND programmer. I recommend that you send it to Nintendo. They will not be able to tell that you have homebrew, and they may fix it for free.
jbc007
You probably will not be able to fix this without a hardware NAND programmer. I recommend that you send it to Nintendo. They will not be able to tell that you have homebrew, and they may fix it for free.

What exactly are my chances at a free fix? I mean, if a customer called telling them that they just did a mandatory upgrade to play a game they purchased, then got screwed over, I'd expect that to be pretty good reason to give a free fix...but I don't know how Ninty works with this thing. After dealing with Microsoft trying to cheat me out my money for fixing a RRoD, I've been pretty pessimistic about getting free fixes from manufacturers. Especially since I'm sure my Wii's warranty has run out by now, I got it like..2 years ago? Though, I believe I read somewhere you automatically get a month of warranty when you register your system?

Ah, too many questions for now. I guess I'll call em up tomorrow.

About the NAND programmer, that'd be difficult and probably expensive, correct?
Re: Black screen from official upgrade. Wii doesn't turn off unless plug is pulled.
January 28, 2010 02:29PM
The nand programmer itself is not too expensive. However you need to be good at soldering if you want to attach it to your nand.
There is also a tutorial about using a solderless method which is tricky as the holes are very tiny and the cables to put in the holes too.
And you need some blocks from a nand containing bootmii in it.
I flashed now about 20 wiis without any problem but doing it for the first time is not easy...
Question: I still have the armboot.bin and ppcboot.elf files on my memory stick. Those are pretty much useless without bootmii installed as boot2 though, right?

When Bootmii installs straight from HBC, it doesn't install as boot2?
January 29, 2010 01:43AM
The Bootmii files will not help you without Bootmii installed as boot2. If you have to launch Bootmii from the Homebrew Channel and it does not appear when you turn on the wii, it is installed as IOS, not as boot2.

By the way, did you ever downgrade your wii from 4.0 or higher or install a stub IOS 50? Doing either of these things would cause the brick. If you did neither of these things, the brick is simply a failed update.

Also, to repair it yourself, you must already have either a working NAND backup from your wii, your wii's keys, or your wii must be old enough to install Bootmii as boot2.
February 02, 2010 01:45AM
jbc007
The Bootmii files will not help you without Bootmii installed as boot2. If you have to launch Bootmii from the Homebrew Channel and it does not appear when you turn on the wii, it is installed as IOS, not as boot2.

By the way, did you ever downgrade your wii from 4.0 or higher or install a stub IOS 50? Doing either of these things would cause the brick. If you did neither of these things, the brick is simply a failed update.

Also, to repair it yourself, you must already have either a working NAND backup from your wii, your wii's keys, or your wii must be old enough to install Bootmii as boot2.

Yeah, I downgraded because I was having problems installing my WADs. Also, what do you mean my wii must be "old enough". I've had it for maybe 3 years or so? Maybe a little less. I'm guessing at some point they switched to a different motherboard, and if my wii has one of the newer ones I wouldn't be able to do it without a NAND backup, right?
February 02, 2010 02:00AM
Bootmii can only be installed as boot2 on a wii that has the trucha bug in boot1. All wiis manufactured after some point in 2008 (probably around july or august) have a fixed boot1. Since your wii is older than that, it is old enough to install Bootmii as boot2.

In order to fix your wii, you need to flash a working NAND backup to it. Unless you already have one from your wii, you must convert one from another wii with Betwiin. To do this, you need the keys from your wii. Unless you already have those, you need to manually install Bootmii as boot2, which can then get the keys. That is the only way to get the keys of a bricked wii.

Anyway, if you didn't downgrade, your wii would not be bricked. When you updated to 4.0 or higher, it stubed IOS 50. Downgrading did not remove IOS 50, and the old (non-stub) version was not installed when updating from the disc, since its version number is lower than that of the stub.
February 02, 2010 08:07AM
If you install a nand flasher you can flash bootmii also in the nand and can then recover your own wii. No need for a conversion of another nand.
Fixed many wii's that way. Most wii's are bricked by a stub IOS so installing the correct sysmenu fixes most of the issues
February 15, 2010 09:27PM
Erikie
If you install a nand flasher you can flash bootmii also in the nand and can then recover your own wii. No need for a conversion of another nand.
Fixed many wii's that way. Most wii's are bricked by a stub IOS so installing the correct sysmenu fixes most of the issues

Could you walk me through what I would need to do this and how exactly I'd do this?
February 15, 2010 10:24PM
Step 1) Install an Infectus.

Step 2) Make a NAND backup from another wii that has Bootmii installed as boot2 (this wii must have the same or newer boot2 version as your wii, or the next step won't work).

Step 3) Use the Infectus to flash the boot2 blocks of the NAND backup to your wii.

At this point, you have a few options. You can simply use Dop-IOS Mod to downgrade IOS 50, allowing system menu 3.4 to function. Or you could use Dop-IOS Mod to install any other system menu version and its IOS. Doing this will not cause you to lose any data, so it is probably the best option.

Altnerately, you could use Bootmii to get the keys from your wii. Then you could use Betwiin to convert the NAND dump from the other wii to work on your wii and restore it with Bootmii.

Your final option is to use Comex's NAND formatter.
February 15, 2010 11:12PM
However, if you couldn't install BootMii/boot2 in the first place, flashing it into your NAND will simply give you a worse brick.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2010 11:12PM by WikiFSX.
February 15, 2010 11:46PM
WikiFSX
However, if you couldn't install BootMii/boot2 in the first place, flashing it into your NAND will simply give you a worse brick.

There really isn't any risk of it getting worse. It's kind of useless right now. Anyway, if the wii was purchased two years ago, it has the old boot1 which will allow Bootmii to be installed as boot2.
February 16, 2010 04:38AM
I second that now. Go ahead, try it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/16/2010 04:40AM by WikiFSX.
February 24, 2010 07:57AM
Just wondering if you've made any progress. I have the same issue. I downgraded from 4.0 to 3.2 and then the Wii was updated with Wii Sports Resort. I have bootmii installed, savemiifrii won't work.
February 24, 2010 01:33PM
Lok1
I have bootmii installed
If bootmii still works, use it to boot into HBC, and then use [wiibrew.org] to update everything (system menus/ios) to the latest versions.
February 25, 2010 05:40AM
Hopefully that's what I'll be able to do if I can boot into the HBC. I don't have the preloader installed and am not having any luck with savemiifrii. I'm going to swap out the drive with one that has a Wiikey 2 installed configured to autoboot. I hope I'll be able to boot into HBC that way.
I'm still a bit unclear as to which IOSs I should be installing. Or am I just replacing the already installed IOSs?. I've not used Dop-IOS MOD before, but the new v12 looks like it can do just about anything with an IOS and is at least somewhat helpful in pointing you in the right direction. I guess I'll have to do a bit more research before I try it.

Great Forum.
pikay2k
I researched a bit on this, and although other cases are similar, I have one that I'm not sure is fixable or not.

Okay, so I've had my wii Twilighted for quite some time with no real problems. I also installed Bootmii on it directly from the homebrew channel, but apparently it wasn't installed in the way that can resurrect my wii (The LED doesn't flash 2 times when I boot it without a card in). I still have the armboot and ppcboot.elf files on my card, but I doubt those will do me any good.

In any case, the problem started when my little brother decided to try out his friend's copy of Wii Resort, which had a system update on it. He updated my wii, only to have it bricked. So I get this black screen when I turn the wii on. As soon as I turn it on, it tries to read if there's a disk inside. IF there isn't one, it tries to take a disk. I was a bit hopeful at this, since I read that if you try SameMiiFrii (which I was doing) it tries to read a disk. Putting in my Wii Resort did nothing. It took the disk but that's all, the disk didn't sound like it was spinning.

One other oddity is that it can turn on with the power button via wiimote, but no wiimotes can sync with the system. On top of that, the system can't be turned off by any means other than pulling the plug.

Reading from other topics, it seems like I'm pretty much screwed. I had HBC installed on my wii before it bricked, so I'm pretty sure Ninty will know I modified my wii if I send it in for repair.

DUde where likely the same..mine i downgrade my wii from the original version 3.3j..then when i try to uninstall the wad that i install to upgrade to 4.2j..when i restart it.it freeze then i shut it down...thn turn on i notice that im f**king brick black screen...i have priiloader/preloader installed but when i uninstall my wad hping that the priiloader wont uninstall too..damn when i try to hold the reset button i didnt come up f**k...what should i do my bootmii is installed as an ios not boot2 my wiii i guess is abt.. 2008 ? and i dont have the savemifrii...f**k dude really nid your help..f**k..!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2012 11:39PM by bg4545.
June 08, 2012 11:33PM
yuki627
DUde where likely the same..mine i downgrade my wii from the original version 3.3j..then when i try to uninstall the wad that i install to upgrade to 4.2j..when i restart it.it freeze then i shut it down...thn turn on i notice that im f**king brick black screen...i have priiloader/preloader installed but when i uninstall my wad hping that the priiloader wont uninstall too..damn when i try to hold the reset button i didnt come up f**k...what should i do my bootmii is installed as an ios not boot2 my wiii i guess is abt.. 2008 ? and i dont have the savemifrii...f**k dude really nid your help..f**k......

You've uninstalled your system menu (and Priiloader). Your Wii is a brick and you can't fix it unless you have the keys from the NAND and you get a NAND programmer. If you made a BootMii NAND backup before then you should have the keys. If not then your SOL.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login