Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

bricked and looking to see if i can restore nand with infectus

Posted by m00nstone 
bricked and looking to see if i can restore nand with infectus
February 14, 2010 07:40PM
I have the black screen, due to my roommate deleting everything. I can only turn on the console with the wiimote, no bootmii boot2, and savemii won't work.

So, can anyone help me determine if I can recover my nand with an infectus. I bought the wii in fall 2008 and it's serial begins:

LU35889XXXX

My understanding is that you must have a console that is boot1/boot2 vulnerable, so that you can write bootmii and restore your wii. Correct?
Re: bricked and looking to see if i can restore nand with infectus
February 15, 2010 10:42PM
If you have a working NAND backup from your wii or its keys, you can fix it. We will explain how if you this is the case.

If you don't have a working NAND backup from your wii or its keys, the only way to fix it is to manually install Bootmii as boot2 (there are more steps after that, but they are easy and practically certain to work). Based on when you purchased your wii, it is possible that it has a fixed boot1, which prevents Bootmii from being installed as boot2; thereby preventing you from repairing it. However, it is also possible that it has the old boot1, which would mean that you could install Bootmii as boot2 and fix your wii.

Unless you already know what version of boot1 your wii has, there is no way to find out except to install an Infectus and try manually installing Bootmii. We don't know what serial number coincides with the change from boot1b to boot1c (the trucha bugged one and the fixed one), however, the change almost certainly happened in wiis manufactured around July or August of 2008. Therefore, your wii could have either version of boot1.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2010 10:44PM by jbc007.
February 16, 2010 05:28AM
You haven't told me anything I don't already know but that was a very nice detailed summary of my situation. I suspect that given the rate at which Wiis were being sold and manufactured at that time, I most likely have a wii with at "fixed" boot1 :(

$65US to find that out would be a hard pill to swallow.

Can anyone share any links to places where people are trying to track serial number/manufacture date/boot1 change?
February 16, 2010 06:28PM
Check your SD card for the Hackmii Installer log. It is called installer.log, or something like that. That will tell you whether you can install Bootmii as boot2. The Hackmii Installer creates this log every time you use it, so it is on your SD card unless it was deleted.

Somewhere in the log, it either says that Bootmii can be installed (meaning that it can be installed as boot2), or that it can only be installed as an IOS.
February 17, 2010 05:28AM
Well, you finally settled it for me. I've over-written that original SD card a few times since I soft-modded back in June... but I always keep a backup. Read 'em and weep:

The installed boot1 version prevents a boot2 install (-2)

Do you think I should hold onto it hoping that some day they will find a new vulnerability to wake my brick?
February 17, 2010 05:36AM
I'm sorry that you won't be able to fix it. It is very unlikely that it will ever be possible to fix, but no one knows for sure. Maybe you can find a wii with a broken DVD drive for a good price and swich the drives.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login