Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Need some help with a brick

Posted by AceMilo 
Need some help with a brick
March 23, 2010 08:45PM
Hey guys, I modded my friend's Wii with a chip a long time ago, probably when they first came out, with I believe a wiikey. He since updated to 4.2 and wanted to go back to 3.2. Before I did the downgrade, I installed bootmii to boot2 and backed up the nand to the sd card which was successful. After doing the downgrade, I tried updating to the homebrewable 4.0 and it failed. I restored the nand and got it booting again, downgraded, tried to update to 4.0 again and it failed again. Seeing that the update wasn't going to work at all, I did the nand restore again but when I went to reboot, it just shows blank screen. I tried to do the nand restore again, however all but 3 of the blocks are grey and doing the restore on the 3 green blocks does nothing. It still boots to bootmii, however I cannot launch the HBC or the Wii system menu. What are my options at this point? I tried cloning my Wii using betwiin, but it fails during the clone saying filesize not divisible by 2112.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Re: Need some help with a brick
March 23, 2010 09:05PM
This is why downgrading is usually a bad idea. However, if you had deleted the stub IOS 60 before downgrading, there wouldn't have been any problem updating to 4.0. At this point, if you can't restore your working NAND backup, you should use Comex's NAND formatter to fix this. Be sure to read the readme first.
March 23, 2010 09:10PM
I'd also like to note that 4.2 is perfectly fine for homebrew
March 23, 2010 10:12PM
Thanks for the responses! I've tried comex before but I'm not sure how it works. What do I do with that elf file? The readme just says it will wipe everything and doesn't give me any directions. I appreciate the help.
March 24, 2010 02:51AM
I got cboot2 to start and attempt to load a dol, but that's as far as it got, I get the following error:

IOS Version 36 v16 0xblah blah
Failback IOS loaded
sdio_Startup() rv = 0
fat_driver: disk init failed
Init FAT driver failed.
Failed to load boot.dol from front SD card reader.

If anyone knows how to fix this, I feel like it's almost gonna work. I appreciate the help.
March 24, 2010 04:24AM
cBoot2 is not supported here. To use Comex's NAND formatter, use NUS Downloader to download the four WADs mentioned in the readme. Make a folder called wad on the root of your SD card and put the WADs in it. Place the formatter.elf somewhere on your SD card, go to the SD card section in Bootmii and select formatter.elf.
March 24, 2010 06:46AM
Thank you. I will try this out and see how it goes.
March 24, 2010 07:14AM
Ok awesome we got progress. I put the 4 wads on the sd card in the wad folder, but it seemed to only install the first one. So, I put the wads on one at a time until all 4 were installed. The good news is it now outputs and I get the health and safety screen. The bad news is it still says the system files are corrupted. Did I do something wrong? What do I do next?
March 24, 2010 05:46PM
Now you seem to have a banner brick. Did you install any custom channels? That could cause this problem.

If you are unable to locate the cause of the banner brick and remove it, you may need to find another version of Comex's NAND formatter that actually formatts the NAND (I beleve the one I linked to only installs the WADs). Unfortunately, I don't know where it can be found, so unless someone else can link to it, you will have to search for it.
March 25, 2010 05:11AM
I tried the official nintendo backup disc, as well as the universal unbrick disc and neither loads. What's weird is I tried them in my wii and neither loads either; the official one will go to a black screen but never shows a menu. I don't know what else to do. It's telling me the system menu is 4.1U, what can I do next?
March 25, 2010 05:29AM
Unless you have a mod chip, those discs won't work. Also, any fakesigned disc won't work unless you have the trucha bug in the system menu IOS. Anyway, check your PMs.
March 26, 2010 04:43AM
Anything else I can do?
March 26, 2010 05:00AM
If you can access the HBC, you can run WAD Manager by *Author's Name Deleted* to uninstall the bad WAD(s), or you can run AnyTitle Deleter to delete the bad WAD(s) manually, but you have to know the titleid

Another option is to use a version of Comex's formatter that actually formats the NAND, I don't know the location of one, but if need be, I'll install a toolchain and make one for you if someone can point me towards the source (too lazy to look it up right now)
March 26, 2010 02:47PM
cactusjack901
If you can access the HBC, you can run WAD Manager by *Author's Name Deleted* to uninstall the bad WAD(s), or you can run AnyTitle Deleter to delete the bad WAD(s) manually, but you have to know the titleid

If you can't access the Homebrew Channel, you could autoboot Brawl with your chip, if possible, or use BootMe to patch the game itself to autoboot. Then you can use Smash Stack to launch a program to uninstall the WAD (or any other program you need to use).
March 30, 2010 03:16AM
BUMP. Still need to get this thing working, no progress yet.
March 30, 2010 04:53PM
Are you sure that it said that the system menu is 4.1, not 3.1? It makes no sense that it could be 4.1, since you should have the stub IOS 60. This is important because you can boot fakesigned discs on 3.1, but not on 4.1. Also, what steps did you perform when you tried booting the discs?

Anyway, have you tried autobooting Brawl? That is probably the easiest thing to do, since you will then be able to boot AnyTitle Deleter to delete the bad WAD. Alternately, you could make an autoboot AnyTitle Deleter disc, if you know how to do it or someone else can explain it. Or, if you already know what WAD is causing the issue, a WAD Manager disc (I'll PM you the ISO for one if you want).
March 30, 2010 07:10PM
When I go into the savemiifrii with the gc controller it says 4.1. I don't know why it says 4.1 but that's what it says. To try and boot the banner brick discs, I'm entering the savemiifrii with the gc controller then putting in the disc and nothing happens.

I don't know what you mean by autobooting brawl. I haven't been following the Wii hacking scene at all since I never even use the one I own except when a game I want to play comes out which is like once a year. If you could send me another iso to try I'd appreciate it. Like I said, it's not my Wii so I really want to get it working again for him.

Thanks again.
March 31, 2010 12:23AM
AceMilo
If you could send me another iso to try I'd appreciate it.

Do you not see the BIG RED LETTERS all over the place telling you that piracy isn't supported here?
March 31, 2010 12:30AM
Um, I'm not trying to pirate anything, all I want is to get this thing unbricked.
March 31, 2010 01:14AM
AceMilo
Um, I'm not trying to pirate anything, all I want is to get this thing unbricked.
Lol fail. Asking for someone to e-mail you an ISO that you don't have the right to own is piracy.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login