Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How to use SaveMii?

Posted by marioemblem 
How to use SaveMii?
May 06, 2010 09:06PM
Basically two questions...

My wii has a Full Brick, when I turn it on it shows Health and Warning, and no "press A to continue". Wiimotes sync to the Wii. When I insert a disk it spins and then stops. I have system menu 4.0U, NO modchip, can't boot Homebrew channel, and no Preloader nor BootMii installed. The brick was caused when I was playing GH:M and then I turned of the wii, and the next time I turned it on, it didn't work.
According to the diagram of SaveMii, I need to insert a game with a newer update (e.g. Retail New Super Mario Bros, It will autoboot with SaveMii and update to 4.1U, and thus, get me out of the brick)

So question 1: Am I right with all that information??

BUT, I got some info over at gbatemp that said that if I hadn't patched IOS60, when updating to 4.1 it would fail and would render mi wii completely useless.

and question 2: How true is that?

I would really appreciate the help, and thanks for reading all that info lol.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2010 01:50AM by marioemblem.
Re: How to use SaveMii?
May 06, 2010 10:58PM
It is not necessary for IOS 60 to be patched. If the brick was caused by installing a bad channel WAD, updating will not fix it. If it was caused by anything else, the method you described should work.
May 07, 2010 01:55AM
jbc007
It is not necessary for IOS 60 to be patched. If the brick was caused by installing a bad channel WAD, updating will not fix it. If it was caused by anything else, the method you described should work.
I turned on the Wii to play GHM. After a while I got tired and I left the wii on like an hour or two without playing, after that, I turned it off. In that time the Wii was on I didn't install anything.
The next time I turned it on it acted as I described in the first post, and has been acting like that ever since. I had a backuploader, so I think I modified some ISOs, though I'm not sure which ones...
But I'm pretty sure it wasn't caused by installing a bad WAD, because if I had it would've bricked it automatically...

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2010 01:58AM by marioemblem.
May 07, 2010 02:25AM
If your brick is related to a system corruption of some kind, updating will not help. Similar to a message board brick, and other similar corruptions.

If ios60 is not patched you will not be able to boot anything except official Nintendo Disks. No fakesigned autoboot disks will work.

Updating to 4.1 will stub your ios16, which you might not like if the update fails to help.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2010 02:26AM by mauifrog.
May 07, 2010 02:48AM
mauifrog
If ios60 is not patched you will not be able to boot anything except official Nintendo Disks. No fakesigned autoboot disks will work.

This really doesn't matter. He doesn't have a mod chip and there is no reason to install one, so it would be impossible to boot any burned discs anyway.

mauifrog
Updating to 4.1 will stub your ios16, which you might not like if the update fails to help.

Privided he performed the update officially and did not delete the stub IOS 16, it is already stubbed. Furthermore, only IOS 16 v257 can do anything at all, and there is no legal way to get it.

Although I can't guarntee it, updating with a new game should fix this issue.
May 07, 2010 03:33AM
I updated with Waninkoko's Firmware updater from 3.4U to 4.0U. So I guess it wasn't an official upgrade...
May 07, 2010 03:56AM
It matters very much if ios60 is patched. If it is patched he can update the wii without any modification. If that fixes the wii, great, but if the update does not fix the wii, ios60 will still be patched and he can fix the wii with fakesigned disks. If ios60 is not patched and he updates, stubbing his currently very useful unstubbed ios16 slot- he will have very few options to fix the wii with. His only hope at that point would be to fill his nand, which is not very reliable.

In the wiis current state, he can install and run Indiana PWNS, do system format, after the update that option is gone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2010 04:13AM by mauifrog.
May 07, 2010 05:43AM
mauifrog
It matters very much if ios60 is patched. If it is patched he can update the wii without any modification.

The update will work whether or not IOS 60 is patched. The patch will only allow fakesigned discs to be run if a mod chip is installed. Since the update will probably fix the problem and a mod chip is not currently installed, this makes no difference. Besides, unless I'm missing something, IOS 60 is not patched, and there is no way to patch it while the wii is bricked. Therefore, this is irrelevant.

mauifrog
If that fixes the wii, great, but if the update does not fix the wii, ios60 will still be patched and he can fix the wii with fakesigned disks.

I really don't see how this affects the proposed method for fixing the brick. What are you recommending that he do?

mauifrog
If ios60 is not patched and he updates, stubbing his currently very useful unstubbed ios16 slot- he will have very few options to fix the wii with. His only hope at that point would be to fill his nand, which is not very reliable.

IOS 16 v257 is the only thing that can make use of the unstubbed IOS 16 slot. Obtaining IOS 16 v257 is illegal, therefore its use is not supported here. Furtheremore, it can be of no befefit in this situation. He clearly has other trucha bugged IOSes right now, so installing IOS 16 v257 would be pointless.

I realize that if the update fails to fix the problem, it will be extremely difficult to fix. However, the update should work. There isn't a better option.

mauifrog
In the wiis current state, he can install and run Indiana PWNS, do system format, after the update that option is gone.

He can't access the system menu or run homebrew. There is no way to install Indiana PWNS. If Indiana PWNS is already on the wii, it will present another option, but updating will be far easier, and will not remove that option should if fail it fix the wii.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2010 05:43AM by jbc007.
May 07, 2010 05:44AM
And to use IndianaPwns, I would need to install a modchip and modify a lego indiana jones game to autoboot, right?
May 07, 2010 05:50AM
marioemblem
And to use IndianaPwns, I would need to install a modchip and modify a lego indiana jones game to autoboot, right?

Right, but only if Indiana PWNS is already on your wii. If Indiana PWNS is not on your wii, you can't use it, as there is no way to install it. Even if you are able to use Indiana PWNS, you will just use it to run DOP-Mii or a WAD installer and reinstall the system menu, which the update will do without a mod chip.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2010 05:51AM by jbc007.
May 07, 2010 06:52AM
Nintendo can install Indian PWNS for you. You just need to ask very nicely, and they will help. But they can't help you if ios16 is stubbed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2010 06:52AM by mauifrog.
May 07, 2010 04:34PM
Why would Nintendo be willing to help? They currently refuse to repair any wii that they find evidence of homebrew on; I see no reason why they would be willing to install Indiana PWNS on anyone's wii. Even if you somehow convinced Nintendo to help, it should not matter if IOS 16 is stubbed. They must have a replacement for their backup disc that works without the old IOS 16 so that they can repair wiis on 4.0 and higher. Besides, Nintendo could fix this with an official autoboot disc, which would be much easier than installing and using Indiana PWNS and appropriate homebrew tools.
May 07, 2010 08:33PM
jbc007
Why would Nintendo be willing to help? They currently refuse to repair any wii that they find evidence of homebrew on; I see no reason why they would be willing to install Indiana PWNS on anyone's wii. Even if you somehow convinced Nintendo to help, it should not matter if IOS 16 is stubbed. They must have a replacement for their backup disc that works without the old IOS 16 so that they can repair wiis on 4.0 and higher. Besides, Nintendo could fix this with an official autoboot disc, which would be much easier than installing and using Indiana PWNS and appropriate homebrew tools.

I think he was making a joke
May 07, 2010 10:37PM
cactusjack901
jbc007

I think he was making a joke

Actually I think he was implying you could warez the Backup Disc which is "Nintendo", so they're "helping". However, implications like that have no place on WiiBrew Forums. Please refrain from making such implications in future mauifrog.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/2010 10:37PM by SifJar.
May 08, 2010 03:49AM
MauFrog blushes, staring at his shoes, fidgeting with his figures...

I didn't do it...
May 19, 2010 04:03AM
Thanks to all for all the help, I was able to update to 4.1(U) via SaveMiiFrii using NSMB. I already installed bootmii has boot 2 and made a NAND backup. I learned from my mistakes :P

Seriously thanks to all!! :D
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login